OSMC remote control stopped working

Hi,

Maybe somebody can help me. My OSMC remote control was working until I tried to use the OSMC remote control with a remote power plug (which can be turned off and on with any IR remote control). Since then my OSMC remote control is not working with my Vero 4K anymore. Has anybody any idea what to do (it’s not that big problem as I’m using Yatse, but would be nice if it’s working again).

Hi

Can you explain what you mean by this? The OSMC remote is RF.

The dongle will not tolerate more than 100ma power, so you need to be careful what you plug it in to.

If you press a button on the OSMC remote, do you see a short pulse, or a long flash?

Sam

Thanks for answering!

I tried using an infrared power plug with the OSMC remote, but if the OSMC remote is RF it maybe has nothing to do with it.

When I press a button on the OSMC remote a flash (approximately 0.5 sec.) appears.

br
igor

I’m still not quite sure what you’re trying to do, but the OSMC Remote requires the RF dongle to operate. A long pulse (half a second) indicates the remote isn’t paired with its receiver.

I suspect if you plug the receiver back in to your Vero 4K and reboot, it will work just fine.

Sam

The USB dongle is plugged in all the time. Maybe it’s broken? Is there a way to check this?

What exactly did you plug the dongle in to before?
I don’t understand what you were trying to do before

I though the OSMC remote is an IR device and tried to connect it with such an device: IR remote

This was not working as the OSMC remote is an RF device (as I now realized).

The dongle was always in one of the 2 USB ports of the Vero 4K.

1 Like

Please try removing the battery and the USB receiver. Then insert the receiver and a side port, reconnect the battery.

This usually forces the repairing process.

If the OSMC remote technically presents itself as a keyboard to the OS, you could also try plugging the receiver into a PC.

Then open an editor and press some of the buttons and if it’s working correctly characters should be appearing.

Maybe this is similar to my issue. Which also has my remote not working properly, although mine is through CEC.

Then completely unrelated to this users issue… Create your own thread.

Thanks for the replies. @Mobula I tried what you told me but it’s not working.
@sam_nazarko I also tried what you told me - same result - mot working.

Maybe the dongle is broken?

Yes, you can contact sales@osmc.tv and we can replace this for you

Sadly it seems that my dongle has stopped working, too :confused:

Last thing I did before it stopped working was a sudo halt, then unplug the Vero 4K, move it to its final place and replug it again. Since then the remote does not work anymore. The dongle has never been plugged into any other device than the Vero 4K. Also the (2-3 weeks old) battery in the remote seems to be fine as it shows a blue led for approximately half a second when i press a button.

I then reinstalled OSMC on the Vero, but no difference. I also tried to repair the remote with the dongle as suggested, on both USB ports and several times.

This is the output of sudo lsusb -v, first without the dongle, second with the dongle connected: http://paste.osmc.io/joganahuxo.vhdl

As you may notice, there seems to be no difference, the dongle doesn’t seem to be recognised. Is there anything else I can test before I have to send dongle/remote back to you?

This is the debug log after the last boot: http://paste.osmc.io/yunufaweyo

We can replace it, just send me a PM or email.

Did you try it in a PC etc? Nothing further to test, I will take a look at the dongle when I get it

Sam

No, the dongle was solely connected to the Vero 4K.

Thanks, I will drop you a mail.

Hi Sam,

I seem to have a failed USB adapter as well – sudo lsusb only shows the USB root hubs. I’d PM or email but I can’t seem to find that info, maybe it’s because I just registered and am now posting. Anyway, any help would be great.

That sucks.

What does dmesg show when you plug it in after a cold boot?
I didn’t write the email above; but you can ping sam@osmc.tv

Sam

This fix worked for me today. Thanks :relaxed:

1 Like