OSMC remote takes 2-3 minutes to register on boot

First of, loving the Vero 4K/+. I have a few of these now sprinkled across family members since a few years back.

I started having issues with my OSMC remote taking a very long time to register on boot earlier this week. At first, I thought it did not register at all, since I reset it every boot (following the instructions on Remote control stopped working). After waiting about 2 minutes or so, it starts to register though. The attached log below verifies this.

My own debugging effort had me changing batteries, changing USB ports, reinstalling OSMC, but the problem is still happening.
As I mentioned above, either waiting a while or reseting the remote fixes the issue.

Log includes two one reboot, and the remote becoming responsive after ~2 minutes both times.

There’s quite a few of these lines:

Feb 21 13:24:06 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: new low-speed USB device number 66 using xhci-hcd
Feb 21 13:24:06 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -71
Feb 21 13:24:06 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: can't read configurations, error -71
Feb 21 13:24:07 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: new low-speed USB device number 68 using xhci-hcd
Feb 21 13:24:07 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -71
Feb 21 13:24:07 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: can't read configurations, error -71
Feb 21 13:24:08 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: new low-speed USB device number 70 using xhci-hcd
Feb 21 13:24:08 osmc kernel: usb 1-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -71

These are likely my button presses (tried every button to be on the safe side) before the remote has become fully registered.

I have used this remote quite extensively and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just reached its end of life. Every button call is registering just fine after the initial ~2 min wait, so I’m unsure if it’s the remote or perhaps the USB dongle receiver that’s causing these issues.

Grateful for any assistance. And thanks for all the hard work over the years with OSMC, I really appreciate it.

That suggests the USB receiver is problematic

Are there other peripherals attached to the device?

Sam

No other peripherals attached, either through USB or Bluetooth. Forgot to mention this in the previous post.

Would it be possible to purchase a new receiver only through a special order?

Send an email to support@osmc.tv with your order number and a link to this thread and they should be able to get you sorted from there.

We can just send you a new USB. Send an email. I’d like to get the old one back though to work out what went wrong.

I’d be happy to send it to you @sam_nazarko. I can get by with my CEC TV remote until replacement arrives, so I can have it out to you in a few days. I’ll attach a note referencing this post.

I already sent an email to support@osmc.tv as per @darwindesign suggestion earlier this afternoon.

Just as a last effort (I actually forgot to try this), I verified the behaviour with my TV remote (CEC), which registers button presses as intended straight after boot every time. So the problem is likely in the USB receiver, just like you suspected.

It did take a while, but I got a new remote now (needed a brand new one since I was using an outdated revision) and it worked straight away with no added wait time or unresponsiveness after boot.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes