OSMC Remote with X64

I used these to install the OSMC remote packages on a AMD64/X64 pc, with Ubuntu 16.04

lsub log:
http://pastebin.com/63eYpcUA

I assume that “input: HBGIC Technology Co., Ltd. USB Keyboard Mouse” is the dongle for the remote.

That’s quite an old post. Thinks might have changed a bit, especially if you grabbed versioned packages

But you didn’t ask a question. Is it working, or not as expected?

not working.

If there are newer packages, what are their package names.

When you say not working, were you able to download all packages?

Latest package versions can be found at Index of /osmc/osmc/apt/pool/main/a (bit of searching) but you’ll find the packages.

Sam

Those versions downloaded and installed without problem.

Okay – but the remote itself doesn’t work? Can you put the receiver in an OSMC device, reboot and see if that works? Then we know if it’s a HW issue or something needs fixing on PC.

Sam

One other thing. before I install these, these keys worked:
OK
Play
Back
Left-Arrow
Right Arrow

Remote is working it seems, packages weren’t installed / activated.
The packages supplied expect a systemd system (Ubuntu 16.04) is fine, but those links may have been old. Let me know how you get on with modern links.

Sam

Actually those are the exact same packages linked from that post.

Okay. Can you run dpkg -i on the debs, reboot and let me know the output? If there’s still no joy, I’ll set up a VM and work it out for you. This has worked before so it seems like something just hasn’t been updated. This is mainly due to the fact we aren’t running OSMC publicly on x64 yet.

Didn’t work.

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-64-generic x86_64)

sudo systemctl status | grep eventlircd
sudo systemctl status | grep lirc

How are you starting Kodi? I assume you’re passing --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd. Otherwise it won’t work. If that wasn’t in the earlier instructions, then that explains the issue :slight_smile:

Via this kodi.service file:

[Unit]
Description = Kodi Media Center

# if you don't need the MySQL DB backend, this should be sufficient
After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target sound.target

# if you need the MySQL DB backend, use this block instead of the previous
# After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target sound.target mysql.service
# Wants = mysql.service

[Service]
User = william
Group = william
Type = simple
#PAMName = login # you might want to try this one, did not work on all systems
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = on-abort
RestartSec = 5

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

Ah. You need to add --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd and make sure our services start first.

I’ll also let you know when OSMC is available for x64 testing if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty.

Sure. For the time being I’ll use the replacement RPi3 when it arrives.

william@kodi-DC5750:~$ sudo systemctl status | grep eventlircd
[sudo] password for william:
           │ ├─eventlircd.service
           │ │ └─890 /usr/sbin/eventlircd --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/var/run/lirc/lircd --repeat-filter --release=_UP -f
             │   ├─1998 grep --color=auto eventlircd
william@kodi-DC5750:~$ sudo systemctl status | grep lirc
           │ ├─eventlircd.service
           │ │ └─890 /usr/sbin/eventlircd --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/var/run/lirc/lircd --repeat-filter --release=_UP -f
             │   ├─2085 grep --color=auto lirc

I assume that it’d look like this:

ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd – :0 -nolisten tcp vt7

That looks OK I believe, although there are quite a few wrappers around Kodi there.