OSMC Skin v0.9.1 feedback

I am actually running a TvHeadend server from an ATV1 feeding into my local Network.

If you have a spare RPi 1 lying around, OpenElec and the Unofficial Apps store version works to feed into OSMC on the RPi2 as well.

I updated Alpha 4 yesterday after some time.
Besides misleading highlights, my biggest problem with OSMC skin is inconsistency.
The main menu, when I scroll, highlighted text stays in the middle and menu items scroll up/down. Then I select Settings, in this menu text stays and selection moves. Plus to get to the last choices, there is special ā€œMoreā€¦ā€ item.
When I go to Video (shortcuts still donā€™t work) then the scrolling changes from vertical to horizontal. and I can see only four items on the screen.
For me these are the main drawbacks which make OSMC skin unusable and I switch to Confluence.

In general, OSMC distro is very nice, easy to install and use, I like that. Appreciate your work and effort.

Let me preface by noting how much I like the OSMC skin. It is clean, uncluttered and devoid of unnecessary fan art and theme music. All I really want is information in text form: Title, media info, plot summary and a thumb or posterā€¦.

Here are a few things Iā€™d like to see in the design of the skin:

• Longer Lists: In the current design only seven videos are displayed with huge spacing. It seems like ten or twelve would fit easily. It would also make scroll-bar scrolling much faster.
  • List Wrap: It would be great if lists would wrap when you reach the top or bottom. That would hasten scrolling between, say, ā€œYouā€™re the Worstā€ and ā€œThe Americansā€.
  • Dialog Box Default Option: It would be nice if there was a way to set dialog box default to ā€œYesā€ rather than ā€œNoā€. I delete every TV show after viewing. Having to change No to Yes in the two confirmation dialog boxes is somewhat of a hassle. I realize that this sounds trivial, but after doing it five times a day for a few years you begin to think, ā€œHey, this is a programmable device. Shouldnā€™t it be more flexible?ā€ (I think the Back Row skin has this feature.)

I apologize in advance if any of these features are already present or planned for the future.

i have one issueā€¦ i canā€™t start add-ons/widget from the ā€œshortcutsā€ main menu, I have to click ā€œVideoā€ and then ā€œVideo Addonsā€ before they can start.

EDIT: ā€¦ can only get list view in Add-ons/widgetā€™sā€¦

EDIT 2: have been sitting and playing around with the skin update, and it is by far the best skin out thereā€¦ only a few small problems left as i see itā€¦ listing of content like in youtube add-onā€¦ list view is not enoughā€¦ i would like the content view like with ā€œMoviesā€ called ā€œWallā€ā€¦

I dont think you are on the latest iteration of the skin. The selection moves in main menu and the video selection is a vertical list.

Now running OSMC skin version 1.1.3 from gitā€¦ the option for using list of add-ons in widgets is now removed so that ā€œfixesā€ :wink: the add-ons not startingā€¦ can now create them as shortcuts.

but there is still only list view in add-onsā€¦

How can I turn off title header that show what folder im in browsing?

Iā€™m browsing videos in file view.

For what itā€™s worth, I thought Iā€™d point out a few gripes I had with the RCā€™s revision of the Alpha 4 skin (rest assured there are many, many things that I love about it ā€“ keep up the good work!)

1. Widgets seem now to be disabled by default? They certainly were for me, having done an as-per-instructions clean image of the RC unless I goofed somewhere. I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a good reason for this, but the umpteenth sub-menu of the skin settings is a long way to go for non-savvy users through a lot of non-obvious language to enable something thatā€™s the main visual component of the skin.

2. Menu Navigation has questionable flow. Iā€™d like to be able to move seamlessly forward through menus with right pushes and backwards all the way to the home screen with left pushes ā€“ the former is interrupted by having to enter into each of the Settings sub-headings, which presumably also scuppers the latter. Equally, Some of the OK/save/etc buttons require a little too much remote wrangling to reach. ie: given that both the left and right columns of the ā€œCustomise Home Menuā€ menu for the OSMC skin produce changes to the sum skin, why can I only reach the OK button from the right-hand column? Or, to look at it another way, if the OK button performs a global menu rebuild, why is it visually (and input-ly) tied to the right-hand column, which is a further level of hierarchy down from the menu headings on the left?

3. My OSMC follows a completely different UI concept / Menu flow. I donā€™t know if itā€™s targeted at some other input device, but the circle of icons doesnā€™t make for a pleasurable experience with a four direction remote. Also, with the exception of the store, none of the icons are really immediately, viscerally linked to what they do. Iā€™d argue, for instance, that the services icon is more usually associated with settings, and the updates lacks any of the arrow-based iconography I associate with updates. Text labels under icons please, or (preferably) follow the text-based nav of the skin.

4. Once youā€™ve got the widget enabled, TV episode images (16x9-ish episode stills?) now follow a different paradigm to Movie images (posters). While I appreciate the instinct here and am sure some people dig it, Iā€™d like the option of the TV widget displaying posters instead; it fits in more information horizontally and is much easier to scan visually. The episode images IMO make more sense within a folder of one show than as the overall default.

5. Does the RC mark a switch from Arial to Open Sans? I donā€™t know if the Fonts option on the Skin settings page will always be blacked out, but while Iā€™m happy with the switch, Iā€™d definitely appreciate being able to experiment with some other options.

With all that said, thereā€™s a lot to like, and Iā€™m very happy youā€™re sticking to your minimalistic guns. The menu feels a lot more grown-up than some of the more garish alternatives out there.

1 Like

Hey there, I found some bugs that might me interesting:

1. The Keyboardlayout of a physical keyboard doesnā€™t change. I can set the Layout to QWERTZ under Settings > Appearance > Language & Region , but my physical attached keyboard is still recognized as a American QWERTY Keyboard-Layout
  2. Some points in the settings arenā€™t readable because they overlap with the options:

Maybe this is helpful.

1. Have you cycled through the keyboard layout button on the top left of the keyboard to change it?

2. Iā€™m aware and have reported the overlapping problem on Kodiā€™s trac (http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15854) but this will hopefully not be an issue as we will probably reduce the font size and at the same time increase the width.

Known issue.
Skinners are sorting it.

How can I get the home screen fanart back in the latest release?
Now I only see ā€œyear, genres, actors, studiosā€ in text instead of posters. Otherwise this is a great release and it looks awesome! Keep it up guys :smiley:

Wouldnā€™t it be better to give a manually option to chose the background, not based on the widgets? There are a lot of free images out there.

1.) What do you mean? I canā€™t change my keyboard-layout on the keyboard itself. It needs to be done through the OS

Another idea (sorry for tripple-posting, merge it if you want) :
Maybe give some other options on displaying the album/movies instead of the list. Ad also, the button ā€œsettingsā€ from the side-menu donā€™t open the settings for music.

I mean like this one https://osmc.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/int2.jpg

This one was in the release before rc

Thatā€™s my setup. There are no posters for episodes, though, only a preview screen. Is that what you mean?

Yeah that is what I mean! How did you set this up? Canā€™t seem to find it and in the last alpha release I had it default when building the libary

And I had it for series