OSMC Vero V Review

Personally I would use self adhesive velcro.

4 Likes

When will it be possible to order it and is a Distributor here in Germany ?

There is a German distributor (WElectron). We don’t know when they will take stock yet.

We will do our soft launch on Friday.

then hook it up by cable if you need stable throughput.

the people here are rediculous! i was simply stating wifi n is not furure proofingn that it…

The device does WiFi 802.11ac. Any device that does 802.11ax will do 802.11n as well. You don’t have to use 802.11n. You are either ignorant or trolling again…

I recall you complaining that OSMC was not on the latest Debian release just over a week after Debian Bookworm was released…

Yet you keep coming back here to complain. Why? Just don’t buy it if you don’t like it.

FWIW, commercial customers have already noted an improvement.

5 Likes

You can get 80% of the Ethernet speed via WiFi (800Mbps). That’s plenty.

I normally agree with using a wired connection but when decorating the house I damaged a cable and don’t want to re-run it as it would be surface. Have been getting away with WiFi just fine…

So you don’t have an issue really but you just want to be told you are right and that it is not the latest WiFI standard. Even if it is something theoretical which you don’t have a practical need for?

So yes, it is not ax. You are right. Now go buy something else.

1 Like

You keep using the phrase “future proofing” but I’m not sure you understand what it means. We’re talking about a video playback device. If there were some type of video media that either already exists or will exist very soon, that is likely to become popular (or already is very popular), and that the device cannot play, that would be a lack of future-proofing: there would be a task that a present-day or near-future media player would be expected to be able to perform, but that this device cannot.

But you don’t need gigabit-plus network speeds to be able to play video files: UHD blu ray remuxes max out at 128Mb/s for video, plus a bit more for audio. If the device is capable of sustained 200Mb/s read speeds in typical WiFi environments, then it is future-proofed, at least as far as network speeds are concerned. Adding extra WiFi performance wouldn’t actually allow it to do what it does any better.

Grand. Although perhaps one should ask: how close to the router does it have to be, and how few walls do there have to be between the router and it, in order to achieve that performance level?

1 Like

Is there or will there be a US distributor for the new Vero V?

This isn’t specific to the Vero V, but wifi in general. To get over a 450mb/s wifi connection you have to be connected in the 5ghz channels. This frequency attenuates with obstructions much easier than 2.4ghz. As such AC wifi tends to drop speeds significantly once you pass through your first wall and if this wall is at a severe angle to your access point it may even be slower than a 2.4ghz connection. Realistically this mean that if you want really fast wifi it may require your wifi device to be in the same room as your access point.

The wifi on the Vero V does seem to be improved over the earlier models from my testing though. My Vero 4k couldn’t play my largest rips via wifi (where an AP is mounted on the ceiling 10 feet away) even with a system mount. My Vero V just using Kodi paths doesn’t have an issue with these sitting in the same physical location. I think it was @grahamh who had tested it going through several thick walls and reported some speeds that were much higher than what I expected.

Hmmm. Not quite. My daily driver (V) is about 9m from my router with the ‘line of sight’ going through a wall which is part 9" brick and part stud partition and a wooden floor - both at something of an angle. I’m getting 250/260Mb/s between the dd and another box wired to the router.

There’s a vero 4k+ next to that V which is sending at 145Mb/s and receiving at 33Mb/s.

Both are connected at 5GHz.

1 Like

There will be. It will be https://www.pishop.us/.
They should be getting stock in the next few weeks

Sam

2 Likes

Is there a Canadian distributor or should i be dealing direct with you guys or going via the US dist. .

PiShop.us also ship to Canada and have a presence there I believe.
If you get in touch with them they should get back to you promptly.

Sam

That’s exciting!

You’ll be shipping from the UK, right? When shipping to the EU, do you fill the IOSS?

No – we used to send items DDP but we’ve found that some countries were charging customs fees anyway and pocketing the extra money.

So now we send items DDU but do not charge VAT.

Import fees aren’t too high – the only inconveniences we’ve really heard about is that it can take a few days to clear customs.

I understand that this won’t work well for everyone, which is why we have EU resellers. I’m working hard to expand the number of resellers beyond the EU as well, but it takes time. I like to vet them very carefully and make sure that our goods are packed just as well as we would pack them. There are a lot of large name brands that are happy to just chuck it in a cardboard box with no protection and wash their hands of any consequences thereafter.

Sam

1 Like

Hi - what would be really useful (to me anyway!), would be a Dummies Guide to set-up, specifically when replacing a 4k+ with a V, with regards to backup / restore of settings / configs,etc.

I’m a complete ignoramus when it comes to Linux, so when I say Dummies, I really mean Dummies :grin:

1 Like

Out of curiosity has anyone tested the Vero V with Flirc USB adapters ? I have them on all of my Vero 4K+ units and see no reason why they won’t work. Just wondering if anyone has tested them ?

Thanks,

Jeff

IIRC @darwindesign has one of those.