OSMC wireless connection only working with HDMI connection?

Hello to the OSMC users here,

i have a tiny problem with OSMC on my RasPi3.

I installed the OSMC 01-2016 release and everything works great.
DLNA, Samba Share service and library for music is configured and working when I use a HDMI connection to a display. my mobile devices and computer are configured to control the OSMC system.

In my use case I want to use OSMC + Raspi3 combination to have a small music server, so a display to show things up is not necessary for me most of the time.

Yesterday I plugged my configured pi3 in (without display/tv) and found out that OSMC will not work properly, maybe because the system waits for a hdmi connected display. the device will not connect to the configured wireless network unless i restart the system with attached hdmi cable to a display…

can someone tell me what I have to configure to make OSMC work without a connected display?

huge thanks.

OSMC works with a HDMI connected the same way as without.
Only idea I have could be that you have wifi signal issue after you unplug HDMI and move the Pi

thanks @fzinken
my wifi signal is good everywhere in my appartment.
I tried different positions and found out that the wireless signal isnt the problem.

when the HDMI cable is connected, the pi is registered in the wireless network
when the HDMI cable is not connected, the pi will not appear as an active station on my router…

strange behaviour.

Try another HDMI cable

If you add hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to config.txt you should be able to plug/unplug hdmi when running.
I’d suggest you then boot with hdmi disconnected and check if wifi is active. If not, then you can attached hdmi cable and check if kodi is running. If it is you can check network settings.

Read this more thoroughly now.

Try the suggestions above by popcornmix

OSMC doesn’t wait for an HDMI signal. If no HDMI cable is connected it will boot in a standard definition composite video mode.

I boot OSMC on my Pi 2 with no HDMI cable connected for use as a small server all the time without issues. Do you see a problem if you use Ethernet ?

Thanks to all.
I modified the settings file with the included option (force hot plug).
Then I rebooted the pi (with HDMI attached) to make sure that the wireless connection is alive an running - and the network connection was good. then I rebooted again (without HDMI attached). After 1 minute I plugged the HDMI cable into the pi to check whats happend…

Here are the facts

1st. OSMC gui was showing, but in 4:3 format in lower resolution (ok, thats what the config file said - no problem so far)
I checked the system information, especially the network status and this panel told me that there is no internet connection.

After I rebooted again (with HDMI attached) everything works great, network is alive and kicking and the OSMC gui is displayed in full hd.

Just as additional information, the position of the Pi is always the same so i can exclude weak wireless connection.

It seems that something is disabling the network related stuff when no hdmi is attached…

So you say, but I can’t think of anything at all that could cause that, as there is no connection between HDMI and wireless drivers.

As I said, I run my Pi 2 “headless” with no HDMI cable connection 90% of the time, including rebooting with no HDMI connection and I have done so for months over many different versions of OSMC, and have never had a problem. I don’t have any workarounds in place in config.txt either, and none should be needed.

Without a log file we can only guess why you might be having a problem. Capturing a log file without an Ethernet connection could be difficult though.

I would recommend booting up with HDMI and Ethernet unplugged (with your config.txt workaround removed) and wait about 1-2 minutes, then connect an Ethernet cable, try to SSH in via the Ethernet connection, (connecting to osmc.local should work, or find the IP address on your router) then use grab-logs -A to capture full logs, which will include any wireless connection attempts.

Another thing you could try is making a fresh OSMC installation on another SD card and see if the issue exists without doing any customisation of the installation. (Except to configure your wireless network)