OSMC with KODI Krypton?

I have installed the Viaplay add-on in OSMC on my RPi2.
It works fine for most material (I do have an account with Viasat) except sports, which is a bit of a pain these days of Olympic games…
On sports programs there is no sound but excellent image…

I asked on the KODI forum and found that it is a known problem with KODI caused by the way Viasat streams sound on live sports.

More info on this in the Viaplay Add-On thread.

According to that thread one has to install a Krypton “nightly” to enable sound and then it starts working.

So my questions are:
Is it possible to install a KODI Krypton nightly on OSMC?
If so is there a description on how to do that in OSMC?

You clearly have not taken even a moment to do the most basic search! Please try to help yourself before cluttering the forum with questions whose answers are so easily found!

http://imgur.com/a/Xfzp5

So a question in Help and Support by a user with not so much knowledge in how to install KODI builds in OSMC is considered forum clutter? Why is there a Help and Support section then?
I am using OSMC for my media player and I have installed it using the OSMC binary image and its built-in update function. I have no idea how to do advanced stuff inside OSMC, but I would very much like to hear sound when I use the ViaPlay add-on to watch sports, so given that the KODI forum suggested that using Krypton would fix it I went here to get some suggestions.

I think the Raspberry Pi help forum is more welcoming than this when the above answer is all one gets…

Incidentally I looked at a krypton search and none of the 34 hits seemed to contain any obvious instructions for a non-programmer…

Kodi Krypton is only available via test builds, if you are not familiar with the CLI you shouldn’t really use these builds, as they are not yet ready for prime time

Thanks, but I really would like my ViaPlay add-on start using sound ASAP…
So I am intent on trying the Krypton testing release.
I have read parts of the Krypton testing thread now and I would like to know:

1. If I follow the steps outlined in the first post of this thread, will my existing settings concerning add-ons, skin etc be retained or is it going to replace my existing release version totally with the test?

2. In MyOSMC it is possible to configure the backup method but I find no way to manually start a backup there. Am I looking in the wrong spot for starting a backup?
    I would like to back up my OSMC before I test the new test builds. I searched for this and found a page apparently for outlining how to backup but in my installation of OSMC (16.1.0-12) I cannot find any “Backup wizard” as mentioned in the page.
    So I used the normal KODI menu to go to the backup of settings and tried to start it, but then it said that there is no folder for backups configured and it asked me to go to MyOSMC to set one. But I was there already and did not find any place for entering the backup folder.
    Obviously I am overlooking something simple…

They will stay, but you need to check all of your add-ons and skins are compatible with Krypton.

It’s under the Updater. If you are on a very old version of OSMC, you won’t have it.

Krypton builds have some breakage, although that’s less frequent as it nears beta. You have been warned.

Well, that updater in MyOSMC is what I referred to when i talked about configuring backup in MyOSMC.
What I cannot find there is a way to command the start of a backup.
And my OSMC is 16.1.0-12 as displayed by the command:

dpkg -l | grep mediacenter-osmc | awk '{ print $3 }' from the instructions in the Krypton test thread.

My OSMC is not brought in by the mediacenter-osmc package, so this version doesn’t give insight. If I remember correctly, you had your Pi offline for some time, so it may not be fully up to date. You should check the actual OSMC version rather than the Kodi deb version.

I found out how to obtain the OSMC version from the command line (I have to use PuTTY to do this stuff):

grep VERSION_ID /etc/os-release VERSION_ID="2016.06-2"
In the meantime I also found how to set the target directory for backups in MyOSMC, so I have run it to save my config.
Additionally I have googled for a way to back up the OSMC Kodi configuration and on this page I got the advice to copy out the ~/.kodi directory, so I did this in PuTTY:

cp -R .kodi/* /media/MEDIADRIVE/backup-osmc/.kodi

Now I have a copy of the .kodi dir plus a tar file from the built-in backup on my MEDIADRIVE disk (a 1TB NTFS formatted USB disk).
If I now go ahead and execute the commands to get the testing version of Kodi:

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
will I afterwards be able to get back to my old release OSMC if the testing version does not work properly for me?
I cannot image the complete SD-card because I don’t have a micro-SDcard reader available in my current location…

PS: I do not know from where the strange formatting of my code sections above comes, I only pasted pure text strings from PuTTY into the code sections when composing this message. DS

EDIT:
I went ahead and edited the /etc/apt/sources.list according to the instructions for getting the testing version. But before running the install I wanted to make sure I was on the latest OSMC release (mine was from June) so I made a dist-upgrade.
I screwed up apparently because now MyOSMC has disappeared and Kodi system info says I have Kodi 17 beta1
Is there a way to get back the MyOSMC program add-on?

It was disabled. :frowning:
But when I enabled it and then went to use it all that showed up was the center circle with the zener diode symbol. Seems like it is now broken.
It means that there is now no place to do OSMC specific operations (like restoring the backup I did earlier from the MyOSMC add-on).

I don’t use v17 so can not comment on that.

I am wondering what you wanted to restore from the backup? Switching to v17 would not have deleted anything from your osmc directory that you would be able to recover from the backup.

You need to enable all parts of MyOSMC, for example Network Manager, Apps etc.
Then you will see more then center circle.

I had the same issue when I installed Krypton.

1 Like

I ended up reverting to the release version…

• remove the gmc source from /etc/apt/sources.list
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc=16.1.0-16
  • reboot

Now I am back at the Kodi version 16.
The test with 17 in order to get sound on sports in the ViaPlay add-on did not work.

It is unlikely that Krypton will solve this without additional work. The author notes:

However, with Krypton and its new input stream add-ons, a fix is hopefully just around the corner.

Any clue on how to do this, I don’t see any of those entries in the Kodi addon Browser?

@mcaron1234 I don’t remember the exact steps and I my Kodi 17 install is currently at my summer house so I cant check for you.

The aption to activate is somewhere within the addon browser where you list all installed addons. There you should be able to find them and activate.

Try going to addons/addon browser/my addons/all and check that My OSMC and all the the parts are enabled.

I was able to find all the parts in the section of the addon browser for dependencies. Enabling all the items related to MyOSMC there, got everything working in the addon, with the exception of the backup app. I was unable to find anything to enable to get backup working.

Would a log be helpful to you with this issue?

Hej Bosse_B!

Jag köpte nyss en Raspberry pi 3 och laddade ner Viaplay addon men kan inte logga in. vet du hur jag ska göra?