OSMC's December update is here - OSMC

The items found under <resolutions> are the screen calibrations and they still serve the same function. When you run that command I posted it just removes all the calibrations. What is actually needed is only to remove or repair the 3840x2160 calibrations that had gotten set with incorrect values. I failed in being smart enough to figure out how to safely do that without also installing an additional application, thus I removed them all as that was a much easier task to accomplish.

ā€¦ good job I saved a backup of guisettings.xml then, iā€™ll just manually edit out the 3840x2160 resolutions and recalibrate only those.

Donā€™t sell yourself short, you have been a real help multiple times, so thanks for that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks, but I wasnā€™t selling myself short. Using awk beyond the most basic tasks, especially for someone like me who has zero programming knowledge, is really hard. Manipulating a little bit of text doesnā€™t seem like it would be all that hard, but selectively doing it programmatically at the terminal while making sure that you donā€™t end up with edge case errorsā€¦ and deciding your not going to install a extra program that would be suited for the task as it is only to fix a one time update glitchā€¦ not an easy task. Iā€™m sure someone smarter than me could pull it off, and Iā€™m okay with that.

1 Like

Hi Sam, java works on my system fine after the update, Iā€™d installed it before using a command to add some directory I forget now but Iā€™m sure you know what I mean. I only run jdownloader 2 so donā€™t know if this is helpful, just know it survived the update.

Still need to run sudo java -jar JDownloader.jar after every restart, sorry for offtopic but anyone point me in the right direction on that would be much appreciated as.

Thanks for another great update, is the 64bit userland on the horizon?

The issue with the Java install in the My OSMC add-on app-store is that currently it will fail unless you first create the folder `/usr/share/man/man1` before install. As I understand it the newest disk images have that folder created but existing installs, at this very moment, would need it manually added. I talked with Sam about it last night and he said he would try to figure out a solution for existing installs.

EDIT: This should now be resolved and new installs from the app store should work as expected.

If someone had already installed it from the app store and got the failure they would need to access the terminal and runā€¦

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/man/man1
sudo apt-get -f install

which should fix them up. Running the following should come back after that without errorsā€¦

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This update wouldnā€™t be expected to impact if someone had previously installed Java.

Yes, but there is no date set at this moment. When it comes it will be in the form of a new install and not an update though.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, great stuff, I got docker running 64 bit anyway but would be nice for all to work straight away. I guess itā€™s quite a task switching everything over, and even bigger once it drops and the forum fires upā€¦

2 Likes

Oh there was one thing I forgot, I had added the command to rc.local before the update, this showed up in red i think during the update. It definitely mentioned rc.local and sad face and rebooted twice I think but then was perfectly fine. I edited out that line so not to cause ongoing issues and will use another method.

Speedtest results for anyone interested, all seems spot on.

You should not need or better to say use calibrations. If you have a overscan issue then that can be fixed by disabling it.

Youā€™d be better off setting up a systemd service to start this and not using rc.local. That will ensure that if JDownloader crashes, it is restarted properly.

Itā€™s still being worked on ā€“ but lots of other bits to do first.

Iā€™ve outlined how to get an arm64 Docker environment running in the interim,

Sam

Had the same issue with the 4K files only rendered on the top left quarter of the screen just after the update.
These commands saved the day for me.
Thanks

This should now be fixed, even for existing installs, with this commit:

So older installations should now be able to install the Java Runtime Environment without any further intervention. Iā€™ve updated the release post to reflect this.

Best

Sam

It does indeed work like a charm.

Frustratingly, the hotfix approach doesnā€™t seem to be working presently with the latest version of OSMC.

However we should get this solved shortly and release that as an update. In turn, this will allow us to provide a hotfix code for this resolution issue and eliminate the need for any users to use the command line interface at all

Cheers

Sam

For the vast majority of screen resolutions the default/undefined values are OK. However with an older LCD 1080 Samsung TV that I have, there are 6 screen resolutions where there is overscan and consequently the calibration is required. See the overscan definitions below (normally for default/undefined the <left> and <top> definitions are zero)

<resolutions>
        <resolution>
            <description>720x480 @ 59.94 - Full Screen</description>
            <subtitles>463</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>0.888889</pixelratio>
            <overscan>
                <left>21</left>
                <top>15</top>
                <right>699</right>
                <bottom>465</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
        <resolution>
            <description>720x576 @ 50.00 - Full Screen</description>
            <subtitles>545</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>1.066667</pixelratio>
            <overscan>
                <left>21</left>
                <top>18</top>
                <right>699</right>
                <bottom>558</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
        <resolution>
            <description>1280x720 @ 60.00 - Full Screen</description>
            <subtitles>689</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
            <overscan>
                <left>25</left>
                <top>17</top>
                <right>1255</right>
                <bottom>703</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
        <resolution>
            <description>1280x720 @ 59.94 - Full Screen</description>
            <subtitles>694</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
            <overscan>
                <left>24</left>
                <top>16</top>
                <right>1256</right>
                <bottom>704</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
        <resolution>
            <description>640x480 @ 60.00 - Full Screen</description>
            <overscan>
                <left>18</left>
                <top>19</top>
                <right>640</right>
                <bottom>480</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
        <resolution>
            <description>640x480 @ 59.94 - Full Screen</description>
            <overscan>
                <left>18</left>
                <top>15</top>
                <right>622</right>
                <bottom>465</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>
    </resolutions>

Same here. I just removed the 4K calibrations and the lower resolution videos are now playing perfectly as well.

After the update I got the following message:
OSMC UPDATE ERROR
Error installing: openjdk-11-jre-headless:armhf
Please report this on the OSMC forum.

Well, reported! Anything more I can do. It is a Vero V.

This was covered earlier in this topicā€¦

The issue with installing the Java environment has been fixed a while ago and shouldnā€™t be an issue now.

Try rebooting to make sure the App Store is up to date.

I was not installing the Java environment. Just updating, so it surprised me.

Are you sure you didnā€™t install it previously? You have a post from 13th October which suggests you were trying out the Blu-ray menu feature.