OSMC's June update is here with Kodi v20 - OSMC

I upgraded my Vero 4K+ tonight. The update generally went okay. However when it booted up, I saw the Kodi launch screen (which I’ve never seen before), and it booted up to my normal home menu as expected.

Then it appeared to do something that showed some status in the top right corner, perhaps rebuilding menu cache or something. It sat there happy for a few seconds, then the screen went black, then I got a Vero sad face on the screen for maybe 3-4 seconds. I touched nothing. Then that disappeared to a black screen for a few seconds, then the normal Vero Kodi home screen appeared again.

At this point the unit was responsive and appeared to be working okay. Everything seems to work. Not sure what the sad face and black screens were all about.

Only customisations I have are I mount NFS from the OS config, not Kodi. I have a Logitech Harmony Elite paired via Bluetooth as a Logitech Keyboard. Some of the default menu enhancements installed to customise the menu on the homescreen. SlyGuy repository installed for TV streaming plugin. No custom skin, other apps, etc.

That’s expected as the migration process takes place.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko I’ve had my Vero 4K+ for almost five years and it’s great. I’m missing one feature - the ability to play back at different speeds. Will the new hardware support this?

Hmmm, could have been the slyguy repository that did it.

Looking at the kodi.old.log and kodi.log… this is the very end of the kodi.old.log and the start of the kodi.log

2023-06-08 20:46:10.773 T:2834     info <general>: Loading skin file: Custom_Overlay_Debug.xml, load type: LOAD_ON_GUI_INIT
2023-06-08 20:46:10.813 T:2834     info <general>: Loading resource://resource.uisounds.kodi/sounds.xml
2023-06-08 20:46:10.871 T:2834     info <general>:   skin loaded...
2023-06-08 20:46:10.872 T:2834     info <general>: Loading skin file: Home.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
2023-06-08 20:46:11.125 T:2933    error <general>: Error loading Smart playlist special://skin/extras/playlists/random_albums.xsp (failed to read file)
2023-06-08 20:46:11.127 T:2933    error <general>: Skipped 1 duplicate messages..
2023-06-08 20:46:11.127 T:2933    error <general>: GetDirectory - Error getting special://skin/extras/playlists/random_albums.xsp

<<6 second gap, same file>>

2023-06-08 20:46:17.968 T:2959     info <general>: script.module.slyguy - Python Version: 3.9.2 (default, Feb 28 2021, 17:03:44)
                                                   [GCC 10.2.1 20210110]
2023-06-08 20:46:18.151 T:2959     info <general>: script.module.slyguy - Proxy Started: http://127.0.0.1:52103/
2023-06-08 20:46:18.156 T:2959     info <general>: script.module.slyguy - Widevine Level (fallback): 3
2023-06-08 20:46:18.157 T:2959     info <general>: script.module.slyguy - HDCP Level (fallback): 0.0

<<15 second gap; above is end of kodi.old.log; below is start of kodi.log>>

2023-06-08 20:46:33.527 T:3067     info <general>: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
2023-06-08 20:46:33.527 T:3067     info <general>: Starting Kodi (20.1). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit (version for Vero)
2023-06-08 20:46:33.527 T:3067     info <general>: Using Release Kodi x32
2023-06-08 20:46:33.527 T:3067     info <general>: Kodi compiled 2023-06-03 by GCC 10.2.1 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 5.10.106 (330346)
2023-06-08 20:46:33.528 T:3067     info <general>: Running on OSMC Vero 4K / Vero 4K + with Open Source Media Center 2023.06-1, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.269-27-osmc
2023-06-08 20:46:33.528 T:3067     info <general>: FFmpeg version/source: 4.4.1-Kodi

To get to this screen, it is the information screen for the movie, you either press i on the control of the three bars menu and navigated to the information menu on the left. Either way, you were already on the movie you want when you went to the information. So, going back, and pressing OK/play will start the movie

I don’t know why your play option would be missing but pressing the play button on a remote when your in the information screen is not stock Kodi behavior (although, IMO it would be logical if it was) but you can affect this change yourself with a keymap. The following should work with most remotes and I verified it to work with the Estuary and OSMC skins. Their may be some skins this does not work with (without tweaking). This cannot be done with the Keymap Editor add-on and information on how you would create this file can be found [HERE] and [OVER HERE].

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<keymap>
	<MovieInformation>
		<keyboard>
			<play_pause>SendClick(8)</play_pause>
			<p>SendClick(8)</p>
			<key id="234">SendClick(8)</key>
		</keyboard>
		<remote>
			<play>SendClick(8)</play>
		</remote>
	</MovieInformation>
	<MusicInformation>
		<keyboard>
			<p>SendClick(8)</p>
		</keyboard>
		<remote>
		</remote>
	</MusicInformation>
	<SongInformation>
		<keyboard>
			<p>SendClick(8)</p>
		</keyboard>
		<remote>
		</remote>
	</SongInformation>
</keymap>
1 Like

I found the cause of the problem re: disappearance of Cast from Movies. For some reason, during this database upgrade Kodi forgot all my Movie sources. I had to go back to my Movies directories, open the context menu, and choose “Set content”. (Kodi will prompt you to refresh all information for this path, but you can just choose No. Your original collection of scanned Movies will safely remain unchanged.)

Once Kodi had Movies sources configured with TheMovieDB as information source again, Cast – and other movie details – were visible again from each movie’s Information screen.

1 Like

Sure, I can go back and press play on the remote, but that’s an unnecessary extra step that 1) I didn’t have to do before the update and 2) does not make sense.
And the software remote doesn’t have a play button, pressing OK just brings me back to the information screen.
Fortunately I’ve found a workaround by opening the context menu on the movie wall page and selecting Play, but it’s still less practical and comfortable than selecting Play on the information screen.
Thanks anyway for the help!

PS I should mention I’m using Emby for populating the DB

Many thanks, I’ll look into it. it works like a charm! At least for movies; for TV shows I have another issue (Emby-related I guess).
I still don’t know if the disappearance of the Play button is a design decision or a symptom of a corrupted database.
I’m using the OSMC skin and EmbyNextGen, and did a database reset but I still don’t see the Play button.
At least Chillbo’s screenshot didn’t have it either.
I still have one Vero without the update and the Play button is there on the information screen.
Am I the only one with this issue?
Maybe it’s missing information from EmbyNextGen when populating the db

Hi, I asked the author about the current status of fixing this bug and supposedly it should have been fixed some time ago. So is it possible to include this addon in the next build or am I still missing something?

Thanks for letting me know. I can see he responded on that issue today. It looks like it was fixed some time ago but I don’t track the repository and he didn’t update the GitHub issue.

I have kicked off a build and if it’s successful I’ll let you know and close the issue.

1 Like

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

This will deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Thanks for the immediate solution. I have deployed a new update and the addon is available again. I’ve tried the common features like switching channels, watching past shows, EPG… It seems to work without any problems.

Good job!

Hi

This update has also broken a working NextPVR addon on my Vero4K. I do see a quick message about updating to version 5.2, but am not sure what should be updated, has anyone else got a NextPVR client V20.4.1 problem, any suggestions would be welcome

It’s not Emby or anything to do with your system. I managed to narrow down where the missing play button was coming from and the issue seems not to be present for users who where running the test build (thus the confusion and head scratching) I have communicated with Chillbo what I have found and i’m sure he will be able to sort it out before too long.

It’s a bug I introduced and it will be back with the next update. Sry for this :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Great news! Many thanks for your investigating and finding the problem!

And many thanks to you as well for solving it!

Oh, really? What gives you that hunch? The tv shows and movies are shown as before.

I’ve checked and I only have a backup via de osmc tool from 2021 (would be great if these upgrades created a backup first), and I couldn’t find any way to check the library status (like a self assessment).

I can try to give it a go rebuilding it, but I don’t like the idea of losing my watched shows. There is no easy way for that, right?

Do you really think that doing that will fix the subtitles not being enabled by default when playing a video? Just restoring the library to a clean state?

PS: sorry for the late answer, I’m sick and couldn’t use the computer

Not sure I follow, logs when doing what exactly? And what setting do you refer to, exactly?