OSMC's May update is here

Our May update lands early this month and gives you something to get excited about this Bank Holiday weekend.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2016/05/osmcs-may-update-is-here/

Upgrade done. No issue.
Bravo.

Could be my words

Any fixes for arctic zephyr skin problem?

I am not aware of a problem. Did you report this in a different thread?

If it is a skin issue you would be better served contacting the skin maintainer

Sam does this fix the freezing and rendering issues?

Cheers
Spart

Thanks again Sam and OSMC Teamā€¦ Great Job

If you are referring to random freezes on the Raspberry Pi, then it should. As mentioned in the original post:

Fix an issue on Raspberry Pi where a buffer may be returned twice in 
vchiq_arm which could cause random freezing / muting symptoms reported 
in the forum

If the issue persists you should start a forum post with a full set of logs. The April and May updates collectively address two issues:

• fix for a bug that could cause kodi to hang when multiple connections to the GPU were being opened/closed.
  • fix for openmax errors when generating a large number of messages (occurs when flushing OMX components).

The resolution of these two issues should address the freezing and muting issues that some users experienced before.

Hi @sam_nazarko - could you please clarify if this re-enables guest access to SMB shares? (i.e. gets rids of the mandatory user / pwd described in other threads, like this)

In the thread quoted below, I saw some comments about SMB password problems being resolved now But the same post still mentions user / password being required, so I am not sure.

HI Sam,

Thank for the prompt reply it was about the thread April update causes System freezes - #34 by popcornmix but users are already posting that the May update does not fix the issues in that thread.

I understand this is not a support thread. I will post in the support.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Cheers
Spart

It does not.

The update resolves connectivity to shares that do not authenticate with ntlmv2 such as Time Capsules.

From cc75c0b5aa8d4efa5ba5ed746785a1fab57dcb03 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:40:20 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix connectivity to weaker shares

Signed-off-by: Sam Nazarko <email@samnazarko.co.uk>
---
 xbmc/filesystem/SMBFile.cpp | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/xbmc/filesystem/SMBFile.cpp b/xbmc/filesystem/SMBFile.cpp
index 1f7af9b..4270e8c 100644
--- a/xbmc/filesystem/SMBFile.cpp
+++ b/xbmc/filesystem/SMBFile.cpp
@@ -121,6 +121,10 @@ void CSMB::Init()
         fprintf(f, "\tsocket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536\n");      
         fprintf(f, "\tlock directory = %s/.smb/\n", home.c_str());

+        // post badlock fixes for legacy
+        fprintf(f, "\tclient use spnego = noclient\n");
+	fprintf(f, "\tntlmv2 auth = no\n");
+
         // set wins server if there's one. name resolve order defaults to 'lmhosts host wins bcast'.
         // if no WINS server has been specified the wins method will be ignored.
         if (CSettings::GetInstance().GetString(CSettings::SETTING_SMB_WINSSERVER).length() > 0 && !StringUtils::EqualsNoCase(CSettings::GetInstance().GetString(CSettings::SETTING_SMB_WINSSERVER), "0.0.0.0") )
-- 

The Samba maintainers have acknowledged that the latest version of Samba in Debian Jessie has regressions and that they will be addressed. I am not sure if this will restore Guest access to shares.

You should also note that Kodiā€™s implementation of Samba is based on Samba 3.x from 2013 era, but OSMC uses upstream Samba 4.x from Debian Jessie.

Sam

There is a problem with external sound card.
Right after upgrade my hifiberry DAC clone stops working.

Does this fix the white noise issue whit the hifi berri digi

tried everything but nothing seems to work.

greetz Alex

Tnx for the updateā€¦ It fixed my problems with RPi3 freezing after seeking.

keep up good work team!

You can thank @popcornmix for that.

Sam

Hi

Did you also start a GitHub issue?

You should start a new thread with debug logs. In particular, we need to know what version you updated from, the contents of config.txt and dmesg.

You need dtparam=audio=off in your config.txt, and this has been the case for several months. If you have only updated recently, then this may explain why audio isnā€™t working suddenly.

If you also opened the GitHub issue, please wait for a reply on the forum first and provide the necessary information to receive help. Our GitHub Issue tracker is for confirmed issues only ā€“ however due to recent hastiness in reporting often user based issues as confirmed bugs, we will be closing this and moving to a dedicated bug tracking solution in the near future.

Thanks @popcornmix :smiley:

1 Like

I created new thread with details. In my opinion kernel modules are missing.

They are not ā€“ you can diff if youā€™d like to see what we changed this month.

Unfortunately, the logs you provided still arenā€™t sufficient, and donā€™t give me an insight in to the issue.

Hi Sam, OSMC May update is not based on the final Kodi 16.1 kodi, at least one patch is missing:

this patch was merged and included in 16.1 final (also in krypton) however it is missing in your May update for some reason. I confirmed that the patch is included in 16.1 by building from source on my main x64 HTPC and verifying that the issue is fixed. OSMC/May update reports ā€œ16.1.RC3ā€ (not final) and the issue that the patch fixed is still present.

Any chance to have OSMC based on Kodi 16.1 Final with all accepted patches?