OSMC's November update is here with Kodi v18.9 - OSMC

Last month, we released Debian Buster with Kodi v18.8. While this version had the majority of fixes backported from Kodi v18.9 which was still in progress, we've decided to issue a final release of the Kodi Leia series in the form of an 18.9 point release.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2020/11/osmcs-november-update-is-here-with-kodi-v18-9/
1 Like

Wait a minute, under Miscellaneous it states rPi4 support?
Does this mean, we have finally the possibility to install osmc on a rpi4?

Does it mean that the " Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 / 3+" Images also work for the Raspberry Pi 4 due to “unified kernel”?

No – there will be separate images because the Pi 4 kernel will be Aarch64.

Everything is built and in repo.
But we are not releasing any public builds yet.

Thanks for this! However it seems we have lost support for the overlay Amp from HifiBerry :frowning:

When I powered up my Vero 4k a few minutes ago, an update notice appeared on the screen. I accepted and the update went through.

Now all my plugins are no longer working (Youtube, Twitch, even NASA TV.) Youtube doesn’t list any subscriptions any more, Twitch and NASA can list, but not play a stream.

How can I fix this and/or revert this update?

Regards

edit: Ok, Twitch seems to be back. Youtube is still not working.

Hi,

Please create a new topic with:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

That should not be the case.
I suggest checking for updates again.

Updated and all working fine. Thanks for your work.

Maybe I can’t figure it out, but as far as I understand in 18.9 (Leia) has been added support for Rpi4, but there is no image available. On the other hand, official support for Rpi4 will not be available until 19.x (Matrix). Honestly, I feel confused …

Unfortunately I still cannot select hifiberry amp from “my osmc” add-on. It does work when manually configured in config.txt .

I would suggest a forum post with logs.

The changes needed to support the device are now in the OSMC GitHub repo and binaries are built and in APT. This is based on 18.9 but we are not officially supporting this in any capacity.

Official support and releases will come with Kodi v19.

So basically giving an unsupported build, to be released soon, as an option to run for a while on a RPi 4 as Kodi v19 is going to have some growing pains. Is that the gist of it?

1 Like

Effectively yes, because users will expect an upgrade path.

But as of now, there is nothing stopping a user running OSMC with 18.9 on a Pi 4, albeit with software acceleration only.

Is it correct / is it planed, that the first kodi19-rpi4 builds will have support for hardware acceleration?

Yes.

Surely you know that you can boot different kernels in different raspberry pi models, using the same microSD. Check https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/config.txt%20(Raspberry%20Pi) , for example.

You can create pi4 sections with “[pi4]”, and so on for the other models.

Being able to simply take the raspberry 3B+ microSD and insert it in a 4B would be very very valuable.