OSMC's November update is here with Kodi v18.9 - OSMC

You can do this, but it’s not a very good idea to do so.

That would mean that we would have to optimise for the lowest common denominator.

Users would have significantly larger images due to having additional binaries they don’t need

Packaging (we have a 64bit kernel on Pi 4 and 32 bit on older platforms) via Debian wouldn’t be ideal either.

Platform deprecation would also be impossible.

This is why Raspberry Pi are ditching that one image fits all approach as well, because they were stuck with the armv6l userland for the lowest spec device (0/1)

Migrating from one Pi to another should be reasonably trivial using the built in backup tools.

As it turns out, the YouTube problem seems to be an issue with the YouTube API. Apparently, the problem has crept up in other places as well in the last day or so, like here:

So this most certainly is not a OSMC problem. Sorry for setting off the alarms.

(On a related note: No, I can’t post unsanitized logs to a public forum, with included server addresses, path and account names, services and who-knows-what-else. I really don’t understand why I seem to be the only one having a problem with this.)

1 Like

What are the benefits atm. for Pi4 user?

Hello,
I just tried to do the update on my vero4K+, but again, error with vero3-bootloader_osmc !!
It didn’t reboot.

If you want me to run some tests, I’m available !
Thanks !

Hi

This is probably related to the issue you opened here: "Please stand by" after march update

I would suggest starting a new forum post if following these instructions here do not solve your issue: Bootloader failed to update on March update - #13 by sam_nazarko

It would be good to know which version of OSMC you updated from.

Done : Bootloader failed to update on March update - #27 by Snoop

In the wiki about supplying a useful support request it gives information about how someone can save the logs to a local file where they have the ability to review and edit out anything they want, and the command for uploading this now edited file. The logs being public allow for the public to help people solve their issues. That being said, the vast majority of users have nothing sensitive in their logs to start with. There are things that show such as the password for a shared MySQL db in advancedsettings.xml and fstab, but it is exceptionally rare for someone to use secure password for the former and we updated our fstab how-to with recommendations and instructions on using a credentials file which would keep that information out of the logs.

Additional to that when requested we remove logs people posted and on the rare occasion one of the mods runs across something compromising in the logs they inform the person who posted them and usually remove the url from their post as a matter of courtesy.

Some of us have heavily customized our OSMC microSD (zswap, vpn, firewall, etc etc) and would be nice to have easy migration path using the same microSD, but I understand.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward Raspberry PI 4B support!.

That’s a bit different. We can’t support a migration to a device that hasn’t been supported before.

The three Pis have three different worlds (from kernel perspective) and two different worlds (from userland perspective).

Ideally use a script at the minimum or something like Ansible for more complex setups so you can reproduce your installation trivially into the event of a card failure or filesystem corruption.

I am aware of this. I do backups a couple of times a week and I have migrated to new microSDs when needed. Ansible and similar tools are not appropriate for several reasons, including that the device has local data and can not be simply recreated thru rules. If I need to use the databases in the backup to rebuild the device, it could be enough to have a frequent/verified/versioned backup. Complicated issue :).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Indeed – that’s the joy of having a full Debian system on your device – the possibility for near endless expansion.

from my perspective this is exactly one of the main benefits of OSMC besides the great support and updates we get. Big THANK YOU to the whole OSMC team for their great support.
I am also running additional software like e.g. pi-hole and Nextcloud on the device (pi3). Performance is not always great but more than enough for a single user environment at home and it helps save energy costs by having just one device running 24x7

1 Like

Thanks. The idea is that if you want a media center without any complexity, you have exactly that. And if you’d like to tinker, you can do do as well. No Linux command line knowledge is needed. But if you have such knowledge, you won’t be impeded.

We keep the Debian footprint as minimal as possible, although we already have a helping hand due to the distribution’s philosophy.

Sam, any word on what features will be in the pi 4 build? Can we expect HD bitstreaming and/or 3D MVC?

Unfortunately not.

Sam

This is great well done guys :slight_smile: really appreciate the effort you put into OSMC. Dim question but does this mean if i install the latest pi3 image and use it on a Pi4 sd card i would be able to rely on future updates to automatically upgrade me to the latest Aarm64 arch and build version without having to rebuild?

No - a new installation will be needed. You can use the OSMC backup utility however.

Hey Sam any reason I can no longer use Embuary (Leila) skin after Nov update? Not that there’s anything wrong with the OSMC skin of course!

Guess it’s this issue

Tried the suggested work around in link which didn’t work. Now I’m left with a really kak skin and can’t even get back to the OSMC skin.
Also system keeps shutting down after period of inactivity which it’s never done before (getting red plus led illuminated on box)?