OSMC's October update is here

OSMC's October update is here. These changes come in light, as Kodi Jarvis (v16) is very stable as it nears its end of its life. We have been working on preparing OSMC for Kodi Krypton (v17) and test builds are now available. We will continue to update them.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2016/10/osmcs-october-update-is-here/

Thanks for the update.
What do you mean by “Improved support for iqAudio boards on Raspberry Pi”?

Configuration via My OSMC is now improved and there are more powerful preseeding options, so that iqAudio can produce compatible images for OSMC directly as well.

Sam

Now my network doesn’t work properly its cutting in and out. I’m on a raspberry pi 3b. And the App Store won’t load. and that’s what i’ve seen in the first few minutes of updating.

Things seem quite quiet here (as you can probably see), so this is probably a localised issue. Please start a separate thread with debug logs.

Also check your power supply: this update will be problematic for those with borderline or underspecced power supplies, as maximum USB output is now enabled by default for some devices where this option was not enabled before.

Network dropping is a symptom of a problematic power supply.

Well how do I roll back… because I’m using good power supply (5V 2.5A and never once see an under-voltage indicator while using it not even on this update) and everything worked fine before the update.

Read the Wiki. You won’t be able to ‘roll back’ forever though, and it’s probably better to try and work with us to investigate your problem instead of trying to take the quick way.

I have already explained that this version of OSMC consumes more power.

Some older versions did not display the indicator properly. Without any logs, I don’t know from which version you updated. One thing is for certain, without any logs, we can’t work out for sure what the problem is.

A lot of people say that. Then they change their power supply, and things ‘magically’ improve :slight_smile:

Sam

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Temporary CEC problems with Krypton Beta

It’s less about the power of the power supply, the current. It is more about the stability and how fast it could deliver the full current if needed.

A power supply has capacitors between 5V and Ground (0V) and if they are not big enough the voltage breaks down when higher current is immediately needed. So a supply with higher current isn’t the real solution.

See the USB-Connector on the Pi’s on the Schematics

The Raspberry Pi Model B+ (think it’s the same for the Pi 2 B+)

has an 2A (F1) fuse, and the

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

an 2.5A (mf-msmf250/x, F1) fuse.

So even if you have a supply with more ampere the higher current doesn’t help. If the Pi uses more than 2A or 2.5A when it is the Pi 3 the fuse will close the gates. You need an supply with higher stability. An power supply with 3A or more can have this stability but it’s not guaranteed.

A post was split to a new topic: Piracy

Stability yes, ‘how fast it could deliver’, no. What is more relevant is how fast the power supply can adapt.

What you are looking for is a PSU that can deliver the full 5V at 2.5A load, with minimal ripple. You also want a PSU that can adapt to changes in workload quickly without spikes.

We see it time and time again. People bought a PSU that should work, but it doesn’t. A supposed 5V 2A/2.5/3A PSU doesn’t cut the mustard. Phone chargers don’t work. Powering off your TV doesn’t work. Tablet chargers don’t work. Because they never experience the same workload as OSMC, they’re never properly tested.

We sell a lot of our power supplies because when people buy them they know they will work with OSMC. Guaranteed. Some suppliers say ‘it works with Raspbian etc’ but it’s known that OSMC (and any other media based distribution) will consume more power because it is stressing the GPU as well as the ARM. We want to get the best performance possible out of Raspberry Pi, not the most power efficient, and we’re not afraid to show up a few crappy power supply manufacturers / sellers in the process.

There’s an easy way to get a stable PSU, and there still is. Some people choose to save a few pennies (but lose their time) in believing otherwise.

Sam

Yes you are right, that was what I had in mind to say, translated badly…

What’s about an low-power OSMC (just kidding, please don’t hit me)

You could underclock, change governor, etc. This might let you get away with a borderline PSU, but no guarantee. Seems a lot of hassle for a £4 PSU. I’m also sure a lot of people with good peripherals don’t want us spending significant amounts of time on things like this when there is already a solution.

In short: performance would be poor. If you want this, you may wish to try another distribution. My intention with OSMC is to get the best out of the hardware.

To change the topic back to monthly updates: is there an ambition to finalise Bluetooth streaming (receiving) support before the end of the year? It seems development on BT streaming has come to a halt.

We’ve already moved from Alpha to Beta testing of BT audio streaming. If you check Git you will see there has been a lot of work in this area.

You can build the latest BTPlayer from source, but we’ll let you know when it’s ready for public consumption. We’re reluctant to release any public test builds currently as it has become apparent from the current development thread that there is a high expectation of quality and smooth streaming. We will be testing BTPlayer privately with users who have provided high quality feedback shortly.

Streaming on the whole seems to be working very well. There have been some reports of audio dropping out but we haven’t been able to get any real feedback about this. Just to clarify: BT streaming will never be included in OSMC’s core. It belongs in the App Store.

I’ve been using audio streaming to BT 24/7 for the last 6 months.

It is working very, very well. Sometimes, I might have to restart,
and re-connect / re-pair. But it’s not often. And it’s getting more and more seldom.

Thanks for great job, @sam_nazarko and team !!!

Best regards,
Niall.