Package manger broken after update?

Hello after updating to latest version I tried install lirc but it had unmet dependencies. I could not fix this problem and since i had installed it before a few month ago I decided to do a clean install. I though maybe I had messed sth up. After a clean install and upgrade I tried installing again and it nagged about the same problem.

osmc@htv:~$ sudo apt install lirc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 lirc : Depends: libftdi1 (>= 0.20) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: liblircclient0 (>= 0.6.4)
 rbp2-device-osmc : Depends: armv7-remote-osmc but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I have tried installing build-essentials as test and that failed too. ( i have a working internet conneciton on the pi)

osmc@htv:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 build-essential : Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                            libc-dev
                   Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.9.1) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.9.1) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: make
                   Depends: dpkg-dev (>= 1.17.11) but it is not going to be installed
 rbp2-device-osmc : Depends: armv7-remote-osmc but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Your help is much appreciated.

Why are you trying to install lirc? OSMC comes with a working remote solution preinstalled.

1 Like

the one which can be configured from my osmc > config ? So can I train it to use my remote ?
there should be a wiki somewhere about this. ill look for it now thanks

Is the unfinished lirc installation what prevents me from installing other packages ?

OK. lets start from the beginning, what remote do you have? Do you have a working lircd.conf?

I have not used any remotes with osmc before. I dont have an osmc specific remote, just an old tv remote. will that do ?

Well first you’ll need to install a IR receiver then you can learn pretty much any IR remote, this will give you an idea, it’s for Raspbmc but the concept is the same Overview | Using an IR Remote with a Raspberry Pi Media Center | Adafruit Learning System

1 Like

Yes.

You can tweak dpkg-status to fix this though or try auto remove

Configuring remotes is already covered in the Wiki. Admittedly there’s not as much detail as I’d like there. If you want to improve it, let me know.

Sam

1 Like

If I have to have lirc installed why does apt install lirc fails on a clean install ? is that normal ?

You don’t need to install any software. You need to install a receiver then learn the remote using irrecord

well this guy mentions that my receiver is unstable at 3.3 volts. I had connected it to 5v gpio on my rpi3 and it was receiving signals OK. but the same setup seems to have a problem on rpi2. my receiver is TSOP1838. I cant receive signals on mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

“That guy” is the guy that wrote the driver for the Pi so if he says it’s bad I would believe hin. I use TSOP34138, I just set one up this morning.

1 Like

Oh really? :slight_smile: thanks I think I need to go shopping again.

TSOP4838 works quite well, we used it for the first OSMC remote without issue.

I could not find one of those tested TSOP receivers :frowning: gotta do sth else i guess

They’re all over ebay for pennies.

You can use irrecord to set up most remotes quite easily.

If you can’t find a TSOP, you can also try the official OSMC remote, but you should be able to find a TSOP in your region.

ebay, amazon, etc are unfortunately unavailable where I live…

wow thank you guys for the fast responses. the problem is the I could only but 1138 and 1838 which both are apparently unstable at 3.3 volt and RPI cant process them if they are connected to 5v

and when amazon is unavailable other international stores are probably unavailable too…

Heh, I think we are one of the few left that reliably ship to Iran.

We always found Iranian Post to be very reliable as it is government owned.

well even If I wanted an additional remote to keep an eye on, I couldn’t pay for it. no easy access to visa / master card or paypal