Password to SMB/LAN resources appears invalid after OSMC update

Hi Ken,

I think you’re right. What’s happening is that the newer version of Samba on the newest OSMC install is no longer able to use the lower security access method required by the older version of Samba on your PDC.

In the long run the best solution will be to upgrade the PDC to a newer version of Samba, but that has possible impacts on everything else as discussed above.

In the short term I think you have two choices:

1. Identify which protocol is causing the problem and see whether your existing PDC is capable of handling the higher security protocol and if so add that to the configuration. This post may give you an insight into which protocol you’d need to change.

2. Downgrade the version of Samba on your OSMC box to that which was used in the last known working version. To do this run dpkg -l | grep -i samba (that’s a lowercase L at the switch) on your current version and also on the last known good version (the version is the string of numbers in the 3rd column. You’ll see a lower version on the 2015 setup and a higher one on the newest one. To perform the downgrade take note of the lower version number(s) and for each package which has a different version run sudo apt-get install <package_name>=<version_number>.

Hope this helps you get back up and running.

Gavin.