PIFI dac+ soundcard and Pi B+

Hi all,

I recently purchased a PiFi dac+ audio card for the Raspberry B+. According to several forums this card should work with the hifiberry dacplus drivers (same chipset). So I followed this guides and edited the /boot/config.txt, /etc/modules and the /etc/asound.conf but didn’t work. I also tried to use the GUI by enabling the hifiberry card in the OSMC program settings. However, when I try to set a different output devise in the GUI under Settings I can only choose between HDMI and analogue.

Did anyone get this soundcard to work under OSMC?
Also, I should add that ‘aplay -l’ does not recognize the card which according to the guide I used, seems to be normal for this card.

Any suggestions?

Ok, problem solved with a couple of restarts (??). Thanks though :wink:

I have the non-plus DAC and non-plus RPi B, bought this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIFI-DAC-HIFI-Sound-Card-For-Raspberry-Pi-B-Version/32315099287.html

and I followed the exact same instructions as you did!

Only thing: I removed “plus” since I do not have the plus version.

After a reboot I can select the DAC:
Settings>System>Audio output>Audio output device: ALSA: Default (snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac Analog)
But I have no audio. Restarting did not work.

I also checked this guide:
https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/hifiberry-software-configuration/
But there was nothing on the blacklist, ALSA conf file already exist and was identical to that guide and the alsa command is not available via command (ssh).

How did you get it working exactly? It is a very popular DAC for the RPI1, more people must use it.

BUMP

Any ideas why I am not hearing sound while I can select the device? I also enabled it in My OSMC.

Did you enable the soundcard overlay in MyOSMC>PiConfig>HardwareSupport followed by a reboot?

Yes (that is what I meant with enabling it in MyOSMC).
I have rebooted many times because I tried with ‘dacplus’ and ‘dac’. I think I need a way to do debugging.

Now that I have successfully upgraded to OSMC-Aug’15 I decided to try again:

– Raspberry Pi 1 B with this HiFi DAC and this WiFi usb adapter. Wifi works perfectly.
– I use a simple single speaker connected to the anologue audio output of the RPI or the output of the DAC
– clean install using Windows installer
– only played back 1 file via uPNP, installed Radio, Youtube and 3 subtitle addons
– customized the home menu via Appearance settings
– updated/upgraded today

1. Via My OSMC, I enabled the soundcard overlay “hifiberry-dac-overlay” and disabled “Enable LIRC GPIO support
  2. via Settings>System I switched from Anologue to the overlay “ALSA: Default (snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac Analog)
  3. navigation beep is gone and there is no audio during playback
  4. after a reboot, still no audio. Switched back to analogue

I did not follow any of the before mentioned guides to manually mess with conf files or create new ones.

logs:
http://paste.osmc.io/otecafoguf

The device you provide here is not a HifiBerry DAC+. I’m not sure why you are expecting the configuration for a specific device to work with your device. Does the pi even recognize this device?

Was there even any kind of documentation/driver provided with this thing?

This topic was started by Lowry76 who had an issue with DAC+. I simply recycled his topic instead of creating a new one because I have the exact same issue with a DAC, not a DAC+. I do not have the RPi B+ but the RPi B (non-plus). The hardware is a match. I have given ALL information in my previous post, the log files should show I do not have an RPi+ and the link to the product show that I have a DAC, not a DAC+. What more could I possibly do?

My only mistake is that I should have created a new fresh topic to prevent misunderstandings.

and documentation, yes I already posted that 2 weeks ago. It is the same as provided here: DX New Forum – Discuss Cheap Electronics and Find Smart Tech Here

Note I followed that exact guide earlier (but not this time) and the RPi also showed the device in System>Audio Output. So the guide is actually valid. But there is no need to follow it because enabling it in My OSMC also works.
works = it appears as an audio output in System>Audio. There is no sound.

Hi,

I bought this ES9023 DAC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I2S-HiFi-DAC-ES9023-Expansion-Board-Decode-Board-Encoder-for-Raspberry-pi-B-/171725233963?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I’ve made settings like below (also on above seller site):

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

sudo nano /etc/modules

Adding the content below, store them by “Ctrt+X” and then withdrawl

snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac

sync
sudo reboot

In Settings > System > Audio Output I can select** ALSA: Default(snd_rpi_gifiberry_dac Analog)** but at this moment system is hangs.
Could you help how to run this DAC?

Regards
Viwaldimar

For my RPi2 I bought the official HiFiBerry DAC+ standard phone jack. It works perfectly.

My cheap one which I posted about earlier doesn’t work with any settings.

I would strongly recommend spending your money on the official DAC+, it works flawlessly, no need to mess with configurations, just enable it in MyOSMC, reboot, switch to your dac in Kodi>Settings>System>Audio Output and reboot. Now audio will work via the dac.

Step by step for startup above DAC based on ES9023. Working great.

From HiFiBerry site:
https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/configure-osmc-for-hifiberry/

do following commands:

$ sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install -y curl wget binutils alsa-utils
$ sudo reboot

After reboot:

$ sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

Edit modules file:

$ sudo nano /etc/modules

and add these lines

bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm512x
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s

Save file with Ctrl+X
Now do following:

$ sync
$ sudo reboot

After reboot:

$ sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Add line:

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

You can see two lines like below. It is ok.

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac-overlay

Save file with Ctrl+X

$ sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Add following:

pcm.!default {
type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
type hw card 0
}

Save with Ctrl+X

$ sudo reboot

In System > Settings > Sound playback
select ALSA: Default (snd_rpi_hihiberry_dac Analog)

$ reboot

In PI Config > Hardware support, Enable LIRC GPIO set to Disabled
In this place set Soundcard overlay to hifiberry-dac-overlay

HUH!?
For HiFiBerry you wasted your time! All you have to do is enable Hifiberry in MyOSMC and switch to Hifiberry in Settings>System>Audio Output. Nothing else!

For HiFiBerry lookalikes you might need extra actions, but you really do not need to do anything via SSH for the official HiFiBerry.

I have tried to get my es9023 dac work with osmc, but I can’t see my dac (hifiberry alsa device) in my osmc-settings-audio. With alsa tools I can see configured hifiberry dac as card 1. Does this mean that my hardware is working or does this mean that my software is now ok? I have tried with several instructions and tutorials but nothing seems to be working.

Just noticed this thread started few days ago. January update now iqaudio dac not working?
There was the solution to add dtparam=audio=off to config.txt file and that worked for me also. So with the january update the i2s audio devices needs this fix. Now sound is coming and can’t believe how much better it is than stock raspberry analog output.

Just got mine too but the problem is different: the system is unable to find ‘snd_soc_bcm2708’ and ‘snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s’ modules.

Boot log:

Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-journal[151]: Journal started
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Inserted module ‘fuse’
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Failed to find module ‘snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s’
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Failed to find module ‘snd_soc_bcm2708’
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Module ‘bcm2708_dmaengine’ is builtin
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Inserted module ‘snd_soc_pcm5102a’
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-modules-load[147]: Inserted module ‘snd_soc_hifiberry_dac’
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: snd-hifiberry-dac sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: snd-hifiberry-dac sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc fake-hwclock[141]: Tue Feb 2 18:41:53 UTC 2016
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-udevd[165]: starting version 215
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-sysctl[171]: Overwriting earlier assignment of vm/min_free_kbytes in file ‘/etc/sysctl.d/101-osmc-device.conf’.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-sysctl[171]: Overwriting earlier assignment of vm/swappiness in file ‘/etc/sysctl.d/101-osmc-device.conf’.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-sysctl[171]: Overwriting earlier assignment of vm/min_free_kbytes in file ‘/etc/sysctl.d/osmc.conf’.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc systemd-sysctl[171]: Overwriting earlier assignment of vm/swappiness in file ‘/etc/sysctl.d/osmc.conf’.
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc hdparm[168]: Setting parameters of disc: (none).
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: snd-hifiberry-dac sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: snd-hifiberry-dac sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -517
Feb 03 00:41:53 osmc kernel: snd-hifiberry-dac sound: pcm5102a-hifi ↔ 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

The sound card is recognized by OSMC

osmc@osmc:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s 7455 2
snd_bcm2835 24682 1
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac 3102 0
snd_soc_pcm5102a 2270 1
snd_soc_core 192654 3 snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_pcm_dmaengine 5958 1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm 115646 5 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_timer 24969 1 snd_pcm
snd 78090 5 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0
Subdevices: 1/1

Anyone know how to fix it?

1 Like

For the issue of the sndrpihifiberry card being not in the OSMC Settings System Audio output menu, because it is not the primary card listed under aplay -l, just add the line:
dtparam=audio=off
to /boot/config.txt

It fixed that issue for me. I then could select the Hifiberry DAC+ in the OSMC audio settings again.
However I still have no sound.

Thanks for the advice, it helped me fix the sound card recognition problem, but the main issue with missing modules still remains.

es9023 dac doesnt work
have solve methods?
:joy: