Play DVDs on OSMC

I have OSMC running on a RPi model B with a IDE DVD-ROM drive hooked up via a IDE-USB adapter. It will play audio CDs fine but when I put in a DVD it just gives me a list of the files on the disk. How can I configure OSMC to play the DVDs

Do you have the most recent OSMC updates installed ?

Also make sure you do not have a disk in the drive when you turn on the drive or boot up the Pi as some USB DVD drives will switch into HDD emulation mode if a disk is already inserted, which causes it not to be recognised as a DVD drive.

If both those steps don’t help, please post your debug logs after attempting to play a DVD.

When I try to update I get a ‘Could not initialize CEC adapter’ error

EDIT:
After restarting (And switching to HDMI, not sure if that affected anything) it will play my DVD-Rs if I select any of the files in VIDEO_TS, Commercial DVDs will play but with horrible corruption (I assume to do with the copy protection), Is there any way of setting it up so when a DVD is inserted a ‘Play DVD’ option comes up under ‘Video’ and when that option is selected the DVD starts as it would in a normal DVD player. Also after the restart updates work fine

Do you have the mpeg2 license code purchased and installed ? Without this DVD’s won’t play properly.

I haven’t tried playing a DVD using the OSMC skin but in most skins a new home screen menu item called Play Disc appears automatically when you insert a DVD which will directly play the disk. Try switching skin to confluence and see if that happens.

No I don’t have an Mpeg 2 licence so that explains that, I will try the other skin next time I can. Where can I purchase an Mpeg 2 licence?

Thank you, I will pick one up

Confluence still does not have a play disc option, I did notice it says ‘mounted removable hard drive’ could that be the reason, it doesn’t think its a DVD

Possibly, but I don’t think so. Can you enable debug mode in kodi, reboot (with no disk inserted) then insert the disk and attempt to play it, then use the log uploader to upload all logs. Without logs we can only guess what the problem is.

I do know that DVD playback on an external USB DVD drive works for me on my Pi 2, and that is a commercially mastered copy protected disc too, so it should be working.

Just booted up the PI and now the Play Disc option shows up fine, the disc starts but I still don’t have the licence so it plays badly. This is with confluence, I will now try with the OSMC skin

EDIT: The play disc option does not appear on the OSMC skin, I guess this feature was never added to the skin

EDIT: Was going to buy a Mpeg 2 licence but the Pi store keeps giving me errors

I have exactly the same problem. I selected ‘Play DVDs automatically’, but when I insert a disc, it opens a new screen with the DVD title and the top and the options

Browse videos
Browse music
Browse pictures
Browse files

When I select the first video file, the DVD will play just fine.

I uploaded the log http://paste.osmc.io/gocilapova.

Hi, I just installed Raspberry PI 2 model B with OSMC all seems working well except dor DVD. I I have exactly the same problem od Willrogers. I selected ‘Play DVDs automatically’, but when I insert a disc, it opens a new screen with the DVD title and the top and the options

Browse videos
Browse music
Browse pictures
Browse files

Also OSMC does not read a menus of DVD

Help me Thanks

P.S.

I’am new in OSMC matter sorry for some mistakes

Bob

Have you bought the MPEG 2 licence?

Not yet, but I’m able to vieew other MPG2 Fils w/o errros, just the DVD menus are corrupted.
In any case I will bought the MPEG 2 license.
Where can I find mi raspberry Pi serial in OSMC?

Thanks for answer

Serial number found in System Information. MPEG 2 license ordered

Thanks

Bob

Hello, one problem solved with MPEG 2 license inserted,Now I display the DVD menus, but I still have a problem with the DVD it does not start automatically despite I selected"Play DVDs automatically’, but when I insert a disc, it opens a new screen with the DVD title and the top and the options

Browse videos
Browse music
Browse pictures
Browse files

Thank a lot for help

I don’t know how to fix that it doesn’t wok for me either, what sort of drive are you using

The drive is a " Portable Super Multi Drive" LG Model GP10N820 that work fine in my PC.

Thanks & Regards

Bob

Bump.

So, what is the status with the current incarnation of OSMC?

Is it possible to connect an external DVD-player via USB and play DVDs (provided required licenses are loaded and player is powered separately) on the Raspberry Pi?

After buying an mpeg2 licence my IDE ODD connected through a IDE - USB adapted works fine playing all region DVDs