Playback crash at reverse skipping since Kodi 17

Hi,

I’m using OSMC on a Raspi 2 as a client device for my TVHeadend server since Kodi 15. All went fine all the time, but since I’m running the version with Kodi 17 I’m experience issues with skipping backwards in recorded shows.

Going back and forward in recordings, I’m usually using the skipping option. Configured to -30s/+30s with a wait time of 750ms between key presses it’s a perfect solution for me.

Since Kodi 17, skipping forward works fine, but skipping backward you have a 25% chance that the playback will crash. In this case the “buffering” circle runs fast to 100% and stays visible on the screen, no playback is happening anymore. Pause, Play - nothing helps. I need to press stop and start the playback again … in most cases I need to skip forward to the place where this has happened to continue watching.

Using the rewind function seems to work here, the only issue is with the skip back function.

To exclude the TVH server from the issue, I’ve double checked that running Kodi 16 again - here it’s working perfect with the same settings and connection to my TVH server. So I can definitely tear that down to the Kodi 17 builds.

Any idea about this? Is this a known bug? Any more information I can provide to track that down?

Thanks,
Marco

i have experienced the same behaviour but its only when using the tv section. im using npvr btw

Yap, I’m talking also about the TV section. I’m not really using anything else in OSMC/Kodi :wink:

Actually I’ve experienced the same thing myself but, as I’ve been on Krypton since the early versions, I can’t honestly remember if it was introduced with that. I’m not going to be able to do so myself for a couple of days at least, but as theres a few of us experiencing the issue then I’m sure someone else can provide the full logs needed for issues such as this to be looked into :slight_smile: (What follows is the canned response detailing how to grab the logs ;))

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Hi @BobCrachett,

I’ve taken the logs, it’s quite easy for me to reproduce this within seconds.

I’ll send you a PM with the log link (not sure if there are private data in it). What I did:

• Restart my RasPi
  • Go to TV -> Recordings start a playback
  • Did 3 Times a skip reverse, then it happened.
  • With the 100% buffering icon and no progress, pressed “Stop”
  • Sent the logs

This is the relevant part of the log:

First skip back works OK, it continues playing. After the second skipping the error message is a “Global Timeout” at 23:40:44.629 T:1567618032.

The full log is here: Anmelden – JCloud

We need complete logs and must insist that you use http://paste.osmc.io or other paste site instead of posting >20 lines of code directly to the forum.

Sorry for that, I had no access to a computer to clean out the log for public use. I did it now and changed my post accordingly.

1 Like

Hi OSMC-Team,

you might have a look into this, that sounds similar:

Thanks. Will keep an eye on this

1 Like