"Playback failed" error

A smarter person would want to make it work completely now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s what I meant :wink:

I’m moving multiple terabytes to the NAS, when I’m done I’ll add more shares and see if it works.

@Tom_Doyle: I’ll swap the network cables and see if this was really the cause and let you know.

At least now I have a working solution! You guys (and kittens) are the reason the internet exists - thanks!!!

Hi Erik,

Glad to here you have got up and running on the Wlan.

Dilthedog has just advised me that we can probably check to see if there issue with network cable with a copy test, if you wish to try it just disable the wifi:

cd ~
cp "/mnt/Film/Casper (1995).mkv" /dev/null

Or you can try and copy it across using the kodi file manager, this is a good a test file as the others are a lot bigger. This should give a good indication if there is an issue with the wired network. If there is an issue with copy, Its probably the network cable or the port on the switch.

Thanks Tom.

Back to the drawing board, I’m afraid:

Switched from WLAN back to the wired connection, including USB adapter using the cable/switch port from the Windows PC: Worked.

Then I got over confident and did the January update - back to square one: files get imported, but no playback…:confounded:

Log

Hi @eriksdam, could just try the squash setting “map all users to admin” in the nfs permission on the Synology?
This is just a test …

Tried it (changed the setting on the NAS and rebooted the NAS and the Vero).

No difference…

Hi Erik,

Please try a copy test:

cd ~
cp "/mnt/Film/Casper (1995).mkv" /dev/null

If that succeeds please try:

dd if="/mnt/Film/Casper (1995).mkv" of=/dev/null status=progress

This will give us an indication of the speed across the network

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

this is what I get:

copy1

Note that I am transferring a LOT of data right now, so that might impact the speed.

Hi @eriksdam, can you provide again a new log set

• enable logging in the GUI
  • reboot
  • reproduce issue
  • upload the data and provide URL: sudo grab-logs -A or use the method at My OSMC in the GUI

Can you describe in detail how you start the video playback which always fails?
Is there any Netflix app/add-on installed?

Hi Erik,

Please enable debug logs and complete the steps as advised by JimKnopf.

Thanks Tom.

Perhaps tell us your Synology DSM (update) version.

Hi guys,

so:
Starting Playback: the (for me) normal way: Movies → info → Play
DSM Version: DSM 6.1.5-15254

• Enabled debug logging,
  • rebooted
  • reproduced the issue
  • rebooted NAS & router

It now works via LAN with USB-adapter!!

debug log (with "playback failed) issue

EDIT: Added another share to the FSTAB (Music). This works flawlessly as well.

Hi Erik,

Glad to hear you are up and running, lets us know if you have a further issues and we will investigate further.

Thanks Tom.

Would still be nice to know what causes this, but we’ll see if the problem returns (fingers crossed…)
Anyway, you guys helped a LOT. Thanks again for spending time on this.

• Erik

So, it’s all working via Wifi connection and via an external USB-LAN adapter, but not through the internal Vero 4k LAN port? :weary::thinking:
But here it stopped working via the external USB-LAN adapter for a while, too, right?

Now it’s working after a reboot of NAS & router again… So, might this be the area to look for the culprit?

It sure looks quite confusing going back through the thread. But the only thing that might show a pattern with some further testing would be the NAS/router after changes are made to the Vero’s network connection or after a reboot/update of the Vero.
From what has been tried, I can’t see any other possible pattern… :sweat_smile:

Hopefully not! :rofl:

Yeah, a lot of semi-structured trial and error :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree: I’m guessing a combination of NAS & router settings, with the Vero as the least likely suspect.

Both Wifi and LAN+USB adapter worked (and then didn’t…and then did). I never got “Pure” LAN (without the adapter) to work, but I’m guessing that’s due to external factors (IP settings, DHCP…)

What was wrong for sure:

• FSTAB syntax was wrong (missing the volume information)

• wrong/ no squash settings on the shared folders on the Synology NAS (map root to admin works)

• PROBABLY wrong/missing DHCP reservation settings on my Linksys router.

• Erik

1 Like