Playback Video - sound stuttering after March 5th Update

Thanks for clarifying. I’d suggest trying the updated kernel in the staging repository and seeing if it yields any benefit.

I’ve installed the new kernel version and rebooted.
but I’m still getting the same sound issues when watching a video from hdd, if transmission is downloading a file at the same time.

I’ve then downgrade the kernel back to 4.9.29-10-osmc and rebooted again. With this older kernel version, The sound is ok on video playback from hdd, even with transmission downloading.

I’ve tried the steps listed above (updating to the -devel branch) and I’m still getting the audio stutter.

Just for confirmation on things that may be contributing, I have a hard drive connected to my V4K. The V4K runs transmission. The Raspberry Pi is using NFS to get the files from the V4K and it is experiencing the stutter. I have not tested the V4K for any stuttering.

Have you tried downgrading the kernel back to 4.9.29-10 ?

Saw that you had success with that. I have not tried that yet, mostly because I have no idea how to do it. :wink:

Following @sam_nazarko instructions:

For raspberry Pi 2 & 3

wget http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/r/rbp2-source-4.9.29-10-osmc/rbp2-image-4.9.29-10-osmc_10_armhf.deb -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
reboot

This will downgrade the kernel. When a new kernel is released, it will be updated.

1 Like

Downgrading the kernel seemed to work fine on my system as well. Let me know if any more testing is needed!

Both my rp1 and rp3 having stutters and glitches with the current kernel. Downgrading fixes both
here is a log from the rp1 with current kernel
https://paste.osmc.tv/egurinurop
and here with the downgraded kernel
https://paste.osmc.tv/iqawuxoyoh

I can get a log from the rp3 if you really want it.

pi is connected by fstab mounted nfs shares

1 Like

After the 2018.04-1 update, stuttering still occurs on my RPi2 with MMAL and kernel 4.14.34-1-osmc.
Is it still safe to downgrade the kernel using the one linked in post#25 ?

1 Like

I have been using omx since march and it works ok

Have you tried starting a torrent download while watching a movie ?
Even after stopping the torrent download, the movies will have sound stutering.

Yes. I confirm that the sound stuttering issues are still there after April’s 2018 update:

My tests:

• Having transmission downloading some file while watching a movie.
  • The movie will have several sound stutterings.
  • Even after stopping transmission, the sound keeps stuttering.
  • Only a reboot solves the issue - until using transmission again.

Downgrading the kernel back to 4.9.29-10 still solves the problem:
sudo dpkg -i rbp2-image-4.9.29-10-osmc_10_armhf.deb

@sam_nazarko, when you have the opportunity please look at this.

thanks

I have looked at this, but I don’t have a solution at this time.

Sam

I didn’t go so far in my test yet but it seems I have the same behaviour with Deluge torrent server (Transmission never installed on my system). March/April update have both the issue.

Another thing I noticed: with March update the Deluge Daemon stopped to work, still there but not doing anything (zombie process?), around once a week. I have to kill the process the hard way to get control back). I never faced such scenario before March update. I just moved to April update so I cannot tell yet.

Same issue, seems like playback hiccups now and then since the latest updates. Have increased buffer size to no avail, but will try rolling back the kernel. I use a PI3 and a 8TB my book as external storage and use MakeMKV for full quality rips of bluray and dvd. With such large files MMAL is the best for me as OMX gives me audio sync issues. Glad im not the only one with this issue.

I’m still having this issue as well. Not running Deluge either. My work around at this point is to turn off pass through and let the pi decode the audio. MMAL is enabled

I get the issue with pass through disabled, RPI directly on TV with HDMI
MMAL and OMXPLAYER on default value, I think MMAL is the only one enabled by default (to check)

(Edit)
If it matters:
“Adjust Display Refresh Rate” is set to start/stop" (always used this value)
“Sync playback to display” is disabled (never used)

Same problem here, i will upload logs later. Rpi 3B+ and HifiBerry Digi+. “Normal” sound works ok but passthrough mode is intermittent (the receiver does not get the DD nor DTS signal for a second or so every couple seconds) and after a couple minutes i get loud noise instead of sound.

Hi,

Try disabling MMAL.

which RPi is it? (3b, 3b+…)

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

If you are using wired, I would try setting network speed to 100, rather than 1000. Several posts on the forum describe how to do this.

This should be a short term solution, the issue is being looked in to here and upstream.

Thanks Tom.