Playback Video - sound stuttering after March 5th Update

Thanks, will try that. Just out of curiosity, what does networking speed have to do with audio passthrough? How are those related?

Thanks again.

Hi,

Sorry thought you were having the stuttering issue as well, have you tried disabling mmal?

Thanks Tom.

Yes, but the other video player does not supports audio passthrough AFAIK.

Hi,

Lets move back to your original thread, we seem to have got to cross purposes here.

Thanks Tom.

Just to let people know this is still on my radar.

Stay tuned :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@sam_nazarko Do we have any update on this topic? So far I checked no change in the last available update (Nothing in the changelog I mean, not tested yet)

Sorry – I don’t have any solution for this.

@sam_nazarko meaning nothing is going on by OSMC side to nail it down or no solution yet? It seemed to come with a RPI FW upgrade, not possible to push the older one back (as OSMC update) in the meanwhile? (I don’t know how mandatory the FW is of course)

I never had such an issue before and it pops out now for all the series I watched. Only a second of two I agree but it blurs the experience :slight_smile:

We’ve been in touch with the Pi guys but there isn’t a consensus yet. I’m not sure what can be done on the OSMC side to fix it. We have explored a few things. Hopefully a firmware update or kernel version bump in the near future resolves this.

A downgrade would be tricky, as it would remove Pi 3 B + support.

Thank you for this explanation @sam_nazarko . I will be patient and may deal in the meanwhile with the kernel downgrade.

Is it then correct to assume that this issue may be related to the Pi 3 B+ support ?

No — the issue isn’t related.

Sam

I’ve had nothing but troubles with this since April. It might have been the March update but we didn’t notice the problem in March (or the update maybe didn’t install until April). The recent June update doesn’t fix anything, and brings its own problem: automated scans for update now lock up the Pi and I have to power cycle it since SSH stops working and the XMBC remote can no longer connect to it.

When the stuttering problem happens there’s a python process that’s using a huge amount of CPU. Can’t tell what’s happening when it locks up as it’s totally unresponsive and gives me no clue, however there’s usually an “update” message on the screen with a progress bar, some download statistics, and an “x / y” packages message - all of which are utterly unmoving even after several hours :slight_smile:

Kinda thinking of trying other media players tbh :confused:

Sorry, it seems you somehow missed the multiple prompts our forum provides on how to actually make a useful support request. It provides no diagnostic info that could be useful to those offering support.

1 Like

Not quite: I just didn’t care.

Having had to try and debug hundreds of random and difficult to reproduce problems in the past on various pieces of software I simply don’t have the time or enthusiasm to try and get reproducable logs (and most of the time the logs show nothing). So, I just reported the hardware, all the info I had including the limited troubleshooting steps I took, and then just dumped it here.

I don’t really mind if you ignore me or anything I reported, it’s enough just to share that usersaffected++.

Best of luck.

We’ve had reports of playback issues, but not system lockups. I’d check your hardware is up to scratch and also consider a reinstallation. Lots of Python processes could be indicative of an addon causing problems.

1 Like

Logs are the only way to see anything that would allow us to help you.

I strongly suspect moving your Kodi directory away and starting fresh would help you

1 Like

Experiencing this too. Though I only joint the osmc fanclub about 2 month ago. I might say it looks like this is getting worse, or in other words “it wasn’t stuttering 2 month ago”. Didn’t change anything to my situation network wise. So I’m inclined to believe it must be something to do with the SD card since that is the thing in the whole system which wears off the quickest. Though I started 2 month ago with a new SD card on a RPI3b+ and a RPI3b. So it is also wierd that they would wear off at the same pace… Going to try different memory and buffer settings when I have the time.

I’d be surprised if that’s the issue.
Are you on a 3 B +?

Yes, both RPI3b+ as a RPI3b.