Playback Video - sound stuttering after March 5th Update

Have you tried playback the file from the local SD Card instead of via network?
What is the mediainfo of the file you want to play?
Please provide debug enabled logs when you try to play the file (especially from the Pi3b which should not have a network issue.

I’ve not yet moved to August update but with the one of June and since March I’m still experiencing the issue too. Since the FW as state above. Maybe some info:

• Never happening prior the March update, watched some movie prior/after with no issue/stuttering now.
  • Watched a streaming yesterday evening an had it around twice per 40min. Even if it can be the streaming I agree it seems to be the same.

Hi,

As requested previously by fzinken, we need logs to get a better understanding of the problem. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

Thanks Tom.

Dear Tom,

I think it was already done prior in the topic, Sam is aware of it. Anyway I understand the request and if it can help here’s is another session with sound glitch https://paste.osmc.tv/exewecubiq
(The file played doesn’t matter, reproducible with any other)

Still the same with the last july update.
Downgrading the kernel again to 4.9.29: it works.
But how much time it will work until that older kernel version is incompatible with OSMC ?

Hello,

I have the same issue as the others with a b3+. Is it possible to limit the CPU (and resource) usage of transmission-daemon or lower the priority of the daemon. I know it is possible via “nice” on other linux systems. But I don’t know if it’s possible on OSMC.
Thanks in advance!

OSMC is linux, so no reason what nice won’t work. I don’t know if it will fix the problem with transmission as it seems to be a kernel problem. It sure can’t hurt to try.

And where can I set the nice level at service level, so when I restart the rpi. It will stay at low priority. Normally I would edit the start function at /etc/init.d/ but I can’t find it there.

OSMC uses systemd, so you will probably need to read up on systemd a bit to figure out how exactly to do this. Here is a page that has some good information about systemd:

Thanks!
If someone wants to set it:
sudo mcedit /lib/systemd/system/transmission.service

add line under [Service]:
Nice=15 or any number inbetween 20 to -19, higher number means lower priority

I’ll report back if it does anything.

I’m curious to see the results.
From my tests, after transmission downloads a torrent and the service is stopped , the stuttering continues until a reboot is made.

From my understanding this is a kernel network related issue not directly connected to transmission only.

I’m using Sonarr and Radarr and experience the same issue. Usually every couple of minutes the sound drops (video unaffected), although much more frequently if Sonarr/Radarr is actively processing something.

I use HDMI to a Sony A/V, so the dropped sound usually lasts for about 1s while the A/V re-syncs (can see the A/V display drop the audio icon, and then light up again). This happens the same on PCM and Dolby passthrough.

@popcornmix has pointed me to a potential solution, but suggested we wait a little to see if there’s a proper fix instead of simply dropping a commit.

Sam

3 Likes

I have been waiting for more than 5 months and have wasted a lot of time troubleshooting my environment. Just recently came across this post and found that rolling back the kernel does work. Wonder how many people are out there fighting this or have given up and moved to something else? I am willing to wait a little but can’t you share the potential solution/work around till the final official fix gets released? If not, does anyone know what a “little” really means as this has been an issue for quite a long time now?

1 Like

We need to test things first. It could be a week or so.

Thanks for your patience

2 Likes

That is more than reasonable. :slight_smile: Appreciate the quick response.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

I have upgraded and only have single remark right now. After upgrade, a simple reboot only caused it to crash. However, power cycle and everything seems up and working. Will be testing this out and let you know in a couple days, or sooner, if problem returns.

Again, greatly appreciate the quick turn around.

I have applied this on my side as well.
Will revert back as soon as I have a conclusive result.

I am not noticing any improvement watching live tv after around 5 to 10 min using MMAL i start getting massives audio stuttering with omx i do not get that behaviour.

Wondering if my problems is not different and links to
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13993