Plex add-ons when upgrading to Kodi 19

This thread is intended to consolidate questions and issues regarding the various Plex add-on that have come up with the Kodi v19 update. Any questions, issues, or solutions you may have please post in this thread and I will try to keep this first post current with the best information.

Composite
I did not find any issues with Composite. It should automatically update to a compatible version on its own without any intervention.

Plex (by Plex)
This add-on updates to the new version but did not work automatically under my testing. Doing an in-place reinstall also did not fix the problem. I believe the fix is as follows but I need feedback to verify.

To fix inside Kodi go to your Plex add-on, click the context menu, and select information and then click uninstall. When prompted select yes to confirm uninstall and also click yes to removing all related data. Reboot Kodi and then reinstall it again by going to add-ons>install from repository>kodi add-on repository>video add-ons>Plex>Install This should then ask you to authorize the machine again.

Alternatively one might be able to just ssh into their box run the following to avoid having to reinstall the add-on…

rm -r ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.plex
systemctl restart mediacenter

One more alternative that I have not tested is to login to your Plex server and go to the settings and then authorized devices. Remove the authorization for your “Plex for Kodi” device and then see if the add-on will load (maybe try rebooting Kodi if it doesn’t at first).

If after getting Plex for Kodi working you experience delays in playback start, messages about bandwidth, and/or crashing after playback start then it may be due to a bug in the server authentication. In your Plex Servers settings browse to Settings>Network>List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth and clear all IP addresses in that field so it is empty and then click on “apply changes” at the bottom of the page. You may have to reboot Kodi for this workaround to take effect. More information can be found [here].

PlexKodiConnect
Upon update your Kodi library will still be there but none of the links will work (assuming it was setup with Plex links and not direct paths). There will also be a repository still present but it will be to the outdated Kodi Leia branch. The PlexKodiConnect add-on will be disabled. To fix this you should only need to download the following repository in a zip file and install it.

https://croneter.github.io/pkc-source/repository.plexkodiconnect.Kodi-Matrix.STABLE.zip

This will both update the repository and update PlexKodiConnect to the new version for Kodi Matrix. It should also automaticly kick off the install wizard, which will reboot Kodi (after you accept the prompt) and refresh the library which may take a bit of time.

If that didn’t work as planned please see the following…

2 Likes

Hi.
Im using the Plex addons from the Kodi repository.
Searching for subtitles doesnt work with opensubtitles addon or any other addon i tried.
Have you got subtitles search in plex working in Kodi 19?
If so, how??

Thank you for your help

If by addons you actually mean just the Plex for Kodi add-on then it (the dl sub function) seems to not be functioning at the moment. It (the dl sub function) also doesn’t work in Kodi on Windows either. This is something you would need to take up on the Plex forum as it is their add-on. As a workaround you can use the Plex web client and in the details screen for a video item there is a section for subs and it has a option to download there. This would then make that sub available to Kodi.

I did a quick test with Composite and that was able to download a sub just fine using opensubtitles during playback. I would expect PKC to be working as well. Do be aware that the opensubtitles add-on requires you make an account on their web site and to manually enter your credentials in the add-on’s settings page before it will actually work.

(edited for clarity)

Thank you for the respond.
Yes i’m talking about the plex addon in the Kodi repository (video addons).
When you say that plex addon is not working waht you mean? The Plex addon (v 0.3.4) is working right now in OMSC on the raspberry pi 4 and in Kodi on a windows pc… everything works. It connects to my plex media server and i can stream all my movies. The only thing that does not work is the subtitle search…

I meant that the ability to download subs from within the Plex for Kodi add-on seems to not be currently working both in OSMC and running it on Windows Kodi install. I was confirming that I could reproduce the issue you have. Since it is not specific to OSMC, and the issue only exits inside that 3rd party add-on, then there is nothing we can do about it. AFAIK Plex themselves are the ones currently maintaining that add-on so they are the ones that would have to look into it. Their forum is the place where you would therefore need to seek answers regarding this issue.

Understood. I will try to post my questions on plex forums.
Thank you for the help.

1 Like