Poor wifi connection to TP-Link router on Vero4k+

Let me elaborate a bit.

My friend purchased Vero4k+ and I was helping him setting up. I had issue with wireless network performance. Even the signal was not tragic, it was very slow.

I suspect sh*tty TP-links ( TP-Link Archer MR200 and TD-W9960). Is there a known issue connecting these? What are Vero antenna specs?

Anyway, one of tshooting steps would be to try different wifi adapter. I tried TL-WN722N at home but it looks like osmc setup prefers internal. How to make it run? Drivers are in since kernel 2.something and on my odroid c2 worked well, so drivers should be fine.

Thank you!

Jaromir

We’d need logs, preferably full logs.

Could you also describe the set-up, eg distance to the router?

Distance might be the issue (it’s 2 rooms away) . I’ll visit my friend next weekend.

How about the second wifi adapter and how to convince osmc to use that one?

This disables the internal wifi, at least on the Vero4K. Unless Sam says otherwise, it’s probably also true for the plus.

1 Like

First thing I’d check is if you’re connecting to a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network.
If you have the same SSID for both networks; then it’s likely that OSMC will favour the 2.4Ghz bands as they will likely deliver a stronger signal (albeit likely reduced throughput).

Sam

It’s 2.4 for sure. I have that USB tplink with high gain antenna. I’ll give it a try. Thank you a lot for suggestions.

2.4Ghz will probably give you 40Mbps at best in real world performance

Sam

It’s ok. This friend has just 20Mb/s LTE at home. He wanted Vero because it’s sleek design. It’s bit overkill for what he needs :grin:.

Hmm, I disabled wifi, but it looks like all wifi adapters are disabled since I don’t see the one I plugged. Ideas https://paste.osmc.tv/safoniromo

Do you know how to use SSH?

Sam

Sure… dmesg shows device. THe issue is that I no longer see wifi in osmc menu. I guess I’ll need to connect to wifi using ssh, right?

[ 47.666450] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci-hcd
[ 47.806692] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=2357, idProduct=010c
[ 47.806704] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 47.806710] usb 1-1: Product: 802.11n NIC
[ 47.806715] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 47.806720] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

Edit1: I’m maybe too naïve, but it would be great if OSMC could automatically prefer non-default wifi device (or USB wifi device) when configured with GUI

Edit2: /sbin/ip link shows only 1 wlan device … Hmm, I guess I’m missing drivers, right? :confused:

Yes — I don’t think we have drivers for that device. Most people use the internal adapter

Sam

And what is antenna gain in Vero? This has 4dBi - that’s the reason I would like to use it. Any chance to get driver there?

There is a driver for Linux 2.6.18 and newer https://www.tp-link.com/ae/download/TL-WN722N.html#Driver but I’m bit n00b

The driver seems to be rtl8188eu, which is present on the Raspberry Pi build of OSMC.

if the same works for Vero, could you please add it to this thread? I would test it. THX! Please also let me know where to copy it :slight_smile: #I’mN00B

Edit1: to /lib/modules/3.14.29-126-osmc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless ,right? :slight_smile: I’m bit new to Linux. I’m MS fanboy since ever :smiley:

I installed OSMC for RPI on SD card, and I tried to search for rtl8188 in there with no luck. Any chance you could upload It somewhere so I could give it a try? THX!

It’s called r8188eu. I think it’s part of the standard build.

osmc@osmc:~$ modinfo r8188eu
filename:       /lib/modules/4.14.78-2-osmc/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
version:        v4.1.4_6773.20130222
author:         Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description:    Realtek Wireless Lan Driver
license:        GPL
srcversion:     E29E5421D45F8E11D361DDA
alias:          usb:v0BDApFFEFd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0DF6p0076d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v2357p010Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v2001p3311d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v2001p3310d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v2001p330Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v07B8p8179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v056Ep4008d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0BDAp0179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0BDAp8179d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
depends:        cfg80211
staging:        Y
intree:         Y
name:           r8188eu
vermagic:       4.14.78-2-osmc SMP preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8 
parm:           rtw_ips_mode:The default IPS mode (int)
parm:           ifname:The default name to allocate for first interface (charp)
parm:           if2name:The default name to allocate for second interface (charp)
parm:           rtw_initmac:charp
parm:           rtw_channel_plan:int
parm:           rtw_channel:int
parm:           rtw_wmm_enable:int
parm:           rtw_vrtl_carrier_sense:int
parm:           rtw_vcs_type:int
parm:           rtw_ht_enable:int
parm:           rtw_cbw40_enable:int
parm:           rtw_ampdu_enable:int
parm:           rtw_rx_stbc:int
parm:           rtw_ampdu_amsdu:int
parm:           rtw_power_mgnt:int
parm:           rtw_smart_ps:int
parm:           rtw_wifi_spec:int
parm:           rtw_antdiv_cfg:int
parm:           rtw_antdiv_type:int
parm:           rtw_enusbss:int
parm:           rtw_hwpdn_mode:int
parm:           rtw_max_roaming_times:The max roaming times to try (uint)
parm:           rtw_fw_iol:FW IOL (int)
parm:           rtw_mc2u_disable:int
parm:           rtw_80211d:Enable 802.11d mechanism (int)
parm:           rtw_notch_filter:0:Disable, 1:Enable, 2:Enable only for P2P (uint)
parm:           debug:Set debug level (1-9) (default 1) (int)
parm:           monitor_enable:Enable monitor inferface (default: false) (bool)

The line

alias:          usb:v2357p010Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*

contains the correct vendor and product id’s for the dongle.

thx, I managed to copy that to drivers/staging in osmc. It will be picked up automatically? Because I don’t see the device

Edit1: I tried this sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.14.29-126-osmc/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko but it returns Invalid module format

I guess I’ll install some EthernetOverPower adapters I found :smiley:

Just to be clear, you can’t copy a kernel driver from the Pi to the .Vero4K. They’re not compatible.

Got it. THX!