Problems with buffering while fast forarding

I have 2 raspberrypi4s. One is running libelec and one the latest OSMC. They both play 720p videos from a local SSD over usb fine but when I fast forward the OSMC pi buffers, the libelec does not. Clearly there is some configuration that is different. I was going to change the libelec to OSMC because I really dislike some of the underlying things they’ve done on libelec, (like busybox, ewww), but the playing is definitely smoother. I do remember I had to adjust some buffers on the OSMC to get it to run without buffering, even just on a 720p file. There were instructions I found somewhere, involving a tweak app.

Seeing as you’ve provided no logs, it’s not possible to tell what your issue is.

OK, which logs would help here? Right now I’m not near the OSMC RPi4 but should be in a week or so. I only noticed that there was a difference last night when I realised that the libelec wasn’t buffering on fast forward (x2) of a 720p file. I was looking to install OSMC on it but realised that libelec was handling this better so I thought I’d wait until I figured out how to reconfigure OSMC.

Standard OSMC logs

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Having to adjust cache settings for 720p network playback is not something that would normally be expected. Instruction on how to adjust them are [here]

Here is my current advancedsettings:
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>
<advancedsettings>
  <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>314572800</memorysize>
    <readfactor>15</readfactor>
  </cache>
</advancedsettings>

And
cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 7999488 kB
MemFree: 7167848 kB
MemAvailable: 7361224 kB
Buffers: 38692 kB
Cached: 268720 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 98920 kB
Inactive: 563120 kB
Active(anon): 572 kB
Inactive(anon): 384180 kB
Active(file): 98348 kB
Inactive(file): 178940 kB
Unevictable: 12952 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 367624 kB
Mapped: 80636 kB
Shmem: 30124 kB
KReclaimable: 32760 kB
Slab: 57012 kB
SReclaimable: 32760 kB
SUnreclaim: 24252 kB
KernelStack: 3056 kB
PageTables: 2576 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 3999744 kB
Committed_AS: 940092 kB
VmallocTotal: 262930368 kB
VmallocUsed: 9712 kB
VmallocChunk: 0 kB
Percpu: 800 kB
CmaTotal: 524288 kB
CmaFree: 448736 kB

https://paste.osmc.tv/gesosavawi

I personally don’t know how to interpret the issue that is showing in your log but it doesn’t look like a buffer problem. If you change settings>system>audio>output configuration> from optimized to best match does that change things?

I tried that, but it didn’t change anything, and in any case, it’s the picture that buffers, not the sound.