Profile problem with 2015.09 - 2

Indeed thanks Sam, can’t wait to see that rolled out! very best

SAM NAZARKO IS A GOLDEN GOD

in short, thank you very much and keep truckin’

Working perfectly on first boot after the October update. Thanks again.

Really? I got soooooo excited that this may have solved the problem! Just downloaded latest update because I have been following this thread. Getting the text back but sadly on logout and back in again sad osmc face for me!? Requiring reboot. Please tell me what logs to supply. Getting frustrated as have kept quiet waiting for this fix, but no fix :frowning: I do understand that osmc is free as is kodi and it must be very frustrating for the geniuii that do this stuff. BUT it is also V frustrating for little old me too thinking this was fixed and sorted AND holding out for a week to find that it is NOT sorted :frowning:

This is due to osmc failing to terminate some plugins gracefully upon log-off (in my case, ive seen errors regarding the stopping of libraryprovider and artworkdownloader), but its so random (sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes) its hard to pinpoint the actual fault.
i would provide the logs once i get osmc up again and if this problem still persists. although is is a much, much more comfortable setup than before.

I think you’ll find it’s the addons themselves that are not terminating in a timely fashion. Kodi sends a signal to addons to tell them to terminate and gives them 5 seconds leeway to do so. If they haven’t terminated in 5 seconds tough luck, Kodi will kill the script.

This is the way Kodi has always worked. In my experience a LOT of addons aren’t written very well and do NOT terminate in a timely fashion if they are busy (or even if they are not) and thus either get killed or cause Kodi to hang on exit etc.

Non terminating addons is actually the major cause of Kodi hanging on reboot/shutdown - so much so that we had to make changes to the reboot/shutdown methods in Kodi to directly call systemd reboot/shutdown to ensure that it always succeeds. Otherwise one misbehaving addon can cause Kodi to hang indefinitely half way through shutdown.

The problem is partly sloppy addon coding and partly architectural problems in Kodi and the way it manages addons and the fact that the 5 second timeout doesn’t always work.

Well, osmc is now up and running. no crashes so far. I guess i shouldnt poke around my installation that much (like installing too much add-ons), since i’m not the only one using the pi (like steeb, i am in a family-deployed production environment ;)).
DBMandrake mentioned the 5-second grace period, and yes i’ve seen that in the log. At first i wondered why shouldnt they do a try… catch → proceed to jump over the the crash but then again doing so is just reckless/nasty programming. That’s what crash reporters and error trapping are for, and this isnt a visual basic school project. :):smiley:
So thanks again Sam and DBMandrake, you guys are awesome. I guess this problem can be marked as resolved, right, steeb and Yaffle?

Yes, I think so. Worked well for me last night. I couldn’t really have much of a play earlier on as mine is in a family environment also so I had to wait until the TV was free

Right wildkard, thanks to Yaffle and you! I am now happy that with all of this input Sam et al have solved the profile text bug. Any outlying problem seems to be with kodi and add-ons. Interestingly it was while I ‘hammered’ my test pi with lots of logouts and logins in quick succession that I seemed to have got the sad face. Giving the system a more ‘real’ working environment clears up most of the issues. Problem solved with missing text on multiple profles :smile:

AND of course thanks so much to the osmc team for sorting this. Gonna mark this solved :wink: