Raspberry Pi 2 released with OSMC support

Originally published at: Raspberry Pi 2 released with OSMC support - OSMC
Hey! The Raspberry Pi foundation have announced the new Raspberry Pi 2.0 Model B which brings a quad core 900Mhz ARM11 processor and an extra 512MB RAM bringing the total to 1GB. The Pi’s form factor stays the same which means existing cases and peripherals will work on it just fine. I’ve added support for…

6 Likes

Sam, do you know if the new raspberry pi will support DTS-HD and DD TrueHD?

Today’s changes only bring the new BCM2835 SoC and RAM upgrade.

Die ypu habe any idear how fast this moght be possible AS well As the performance boost?

Would love to know as well … one of the things I’m missing atm

If you are talking about passthrough HD audio, nothing has changed.
However, the Pi2 will have enough juice to output up to 8 channel PCM (which is supported on Pi too, but is problematic).

Copy/paste from popcornmix when asked the same question:

The VideoCore part of Pi 2 is the same and that contains the HDMI hardware.
So I'm afraid no DTS-MA/TrueHD passthrough.

However the increased performance means software decode of TrueHD is not a problem, and we can output 8 channel PCM, so 8 channel audio is supported.
1 Like

Was just reading it on the kodi website … thnx for the info :smile:

Any guesstimates how the Pi’s CPU will perform vs the Vero’s CPU both running OSMC? The main difference seems to be the number of cores. Is that a significant difference or not noticeable? Also considering many optimization efforts have been done on the older Pi’s CPU, and how might that change in the future?

The Vero is based on Cortex A9 architecture, Pi 2 on Cortex A7. This means that the quad core vs dual core set up is pretty much neck and neck. I’ve been lucky enough to have both by my side and find Vero to be faster. This is because of the 64-bit DDR3 memory. There’s also a more robust USB controller on the Vero which brings for more stabler IO at times. In short the Vero offers:

The Vero offers:

• 64-bit DDR3 memory
  • HD audio (DTS TrueHD Master Audio and Dolby Digital Plus)
  • Better USB architecture
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Integrated 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth

The Vero also comes with an enclosure, power supply and remote which means it has everything you need to get up and running out of the box. We want Vero to be
completely plug and play, which is one of the reasons we’ve resisted selling a ‘barebone’ version.

There is a lot planned for Vero and a couple of features which are coming to it that the Pi won’t be able to support. Stay tuned on that front.

Cheers

Sam

5 Likes

Thank you for the very clear answer and neat comparison of the two devices! It is very helpful as I’m sure others will be making the same consideration of the Pi 2 vs the Vero. I’m currently using a Raspberry Pi B+ model and have problems with the power supply (either the adapter or internally on the board, causes it to randomly reboot at times), though I don’t have any experience with the Raspberry Pi 2 power supply, how is the Vero in comparison?

The Vero ships with an international power supply and I’ve taken numerous steps to ensure the power supply we ship is adequate and performs well under strenuous conditions. This has even involved adjusting our power management and CPU scheduling to ensure consistent performance on the device and no unexpected power surges.

I’ve conducted a series of tests using an oscilloscope and will post on this soon on the Vero progress page at http://progress.getvero.tv

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Don’t know if you can read dutch or not, but I’ve ordered all my RPi’s from SOS Solutions in the Netherlands.
Here is a direct link to the power supply I’m using which is stable at 5.1v :
https://www.sossolutions.nl/raspberry-pi/9324520-raspberry-pi-behuizing-doorzichtig-0003.html

The OSMC Store also stocks the official Raspberry Pi charger which is guaranteed to work with your device. It’s got detachable plugs for Europe, North America, Australia and the UK.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I’m definitely buying a Vero.

Can we just take a micro SD card out of its adapter, out of PI B and put it in PI 2 ? Wil it run ? Or do we have to reinstall everything ?

The Pi 2 requires a new kernel and kernel modules, so no, it won’t boot any current operating system that was built before the Pi 2 was announced.

The same thing happened with the Pi B to B+ upgrade where existing SD images would not boot due to old firmware and/or lack of drivers for the new USB hub.

Your best bet is to back up your entire .kodi folder and restore it after a fresh install. (Just make sure you exit from kodi and log in at the console before backing up and restoring the folder)

Ok, thanks a lot for your quick answer. Since I’m using a network (NFS) install, it wil be easy to keep .kodi folder.

Just got the PI 2 yesterday and installed OSMC. Works fine with Panasonic Viera (2wks old 50in screen and yes, it is a mini mid life crisis purchase.) and its remote appears to function perfectly on the PI 2 with OSMC Alpha 4. Very quick and slick install but I have one issue with the Windows SMB. Do I need to add sources/shares from a NAS (Synology Diskstation) at command line (XML edit)? I can’t browse my network and am unsure if this is just Alpha 4 not yet being able to do it.

–Sorry, just found the posts that mention Samba support not there yet and Network Settings currently just a placeholder. I’ll wait for the release with SMB and Network support.

The internal samba in Kodi should be working, I am using it.
What is not implemented yet is the samba server function.

Thanks for that, I will give it another go this evening. Just out of interest, did you map the shares manually or did you get it to browse for your device?