Raspberry Pi 3 announced with OSMC support

A little over a year ago, we announced OSMC support for the new Raspberry Pi 2, a long sought successor to the original device which brought much needed speed improvements to the low cost, credit-sized card device.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2016/02/raspberry-pi-3-announced-with-osmc-support/
4 Likes

COOL!

Have you tried it out yet?

Snappier GUI I assume?

I wonder what boost in emulators we will get when RetroPlayer hits :slight_smile:

Well quite unlikely as ordering only been online last night.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had my hands on one for a while.

I’ve written about the new possibilities the new revision opens up in the blog post. GUI performance is improved, and the faster CPU opens up some new possibilities for some HEVC content.

Sam

How does it compare with the Vero 2?

Good question.

The Pi 3 is a nice upgrade, but the Vero 2 is still our flagship and is more suited for those that want the best of OSMC. The Vero 2 provides plenty of speed and should be faster than the Pi 3. The Pi 3 retains the same GPU as previous models, which means HEVC/H265 decoding must be done in software. While the new Pi will be able to play back more HEVC content than before, there will still be some content that it will struggle with.

The Vero 2 supports HEVC/H265 hardware accelerated decoding. Vero 2’s Android release will launch very shortly which will let you enjoy a number of Apps and we also have OSMC Cloud which will launch exclusively for Vero owners (all generations) in the Summer. We also provide long term support for the Vero with guaranteed performance and feature updates for three years and security updates for five years.

The Pi is a great low-cost, entry-level device to the world of OSMC, and always will be. And today there’s a little bit more bang for your buck!

Sam

Did I understand it right I can use my Pi 2 SD-Card directly inside the Pi 3?

You need to update your system via My OSMC to the latest version. We will have some hardware enablement updates (for WiFi and the new LEDs) later today.

Sam

Thanks for the fast reply. Did KODI has an 64bit version?

Please read the blog post. I have covered 64-bit support and outlined our strategy to move to take advantage of this in the future.

Sam

Just ordered from:
SOS Solutions Shop NL

Also ordered from:
Rasp. Pi Shop

For those wondering about stock / availability, we are also fully stocked in our store

Do you mean that only with updates it will be functionnal or do we have to install specific packages too ?

The Raspberry Pi 3 will currently boot, as long as you are using the latest image.

Later today, I will push an update with hardware enablement for the WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity as well as the new LED driver.

Sam

Ok cool ! Thanks.

But when you will separate RPi2 et RPi3 images, will we need to reinstall the new image or will we be able to use the same sdcard (and image) and maybe install/uninstall some specific packages ?

If we decide a 64-bit version is beneficial and we decide to release one, you will need to perform a re-installation to get the best performance. You will however be able to stick with the Pi 2 image. It is easy to make an OSMC backup via My OSMC if you decide to move to the new image.

I will make an announcement on the blog if we do this.

Sam

Is it correct that H265 support on the VideoCore IV is currently being worked on?

Ok I see.
The problem is i customized my installation (install ftp server et some other stuff) and migration will be annoying.
I’ll see when it will effective ^^
Thanks for your answers by the way.

I think this will say it all:

It looks like the pi 3 will effectively replace the pi 2. Let’s see, pi 2
killed pi 1, pi zero killed itself and now pi 3 is going to kill pi 2.

from there