Raspberry Pi 3 - **Booting Mega Thread **

What are the recommended changes for RPi3 in config.txt when coming coming RPi2?

Especially talking about arm_freq and sdram_freq settings.

You donā€™t need to change any settings. Weā€™ll handle it for you.

Sam

you mean with the next update?
cause now is underclocked, I thinkā€¦

BTW using osmc installer pi 3 doesnā€™t boot right now

Itā€™s not underclocked.

I am aware of this.

I am traveling now, and need to get to the airport rather quicklyā€¦

As said, Iā€™ve been working around the clock to get the Pi 3 image ready for everyone, but I wanted to make sure that we did this correctly.

Thanks for your patience and I hope you enjoy the Pi 3. You should now be able to use the latest image to set up your Pi without issue and without needing to upgrade your system first (which is difficult if you do not have a Pi 2).

Please read the new blog post for a list of changes: OSMC Marches on with early update - OSMC

It looks like the latest images are not updating on the website properly, but they are available via the installer. I am sure @marktheis will resolve this.

Sam

1 Like

Good news! I had the same booting Problems with the old image on my new Pi 3 but the new image boots like expected. Without pre updates on the old Pi 2. Great Work! Thank you very much.

1 Like

the new image that works with the Pi 3 is now up on the download page Download - OSMC
(2016.02-2)

3 Likes

After nights and days trying to install OSMC on Pi3 it now finally works! I used the installer since the images were not up yet. Thank you!

Out of curiosity, which base OS did you use?

Hi Sam.
I just created this account to say THANX to all the work invested in the OSMC project.
Some people seem to not understand that even if a software is not working as expected, someone has invested time and heard blood in it.

The fact that Iā€™m not able to take even one of my RPI2 offline for such an installation paired with the not-booting-issue killed my last evening, but beer saved it :wink:
What Iā€™m trying to tell is, that Iā€™m happy, that someone else is doing the work for me. At the very moment the installation runs through.

Thanx for all!
Greetz from GER, Dennis.

Hi there,

I am going to setup OSMC on my new Pi 3.

Is there a particular class and size of SD card that is recommented to maximuse the running of OSMC?

Also, is there a 64-bit version of OSMC available to download that I can run on my Pi 3? Just trying to maximise my processing power.

Thanks in advance.

Read the blog post for information re 64-bit.

https://store.osmc.tv/product/8gb-sd-card/ is a good card (shameless plug)

I recommended a Samsung evo microsd for great speed.

I am using a Strontium Nitro 32GB for 8 euros: http://www.dx.com/p/strontium-nitro-uhs-1-32gb-micro-sdhc-memory-card-with-adapter-usb-card-reader-852378396

Very fast card.

First I tried the OSMC installer with different images. Then I took my old working OSMC SD Card from Pi 1 and tried to boot it in 3. I modified the content on the card with my windows machine trying to find out what the issue is. After recognizing that the latest NOOBS is booting the Pi 3 I tried to copy some of the files to the OSMC card. But this ended in several blue screens because the extFS driver for Win7 sucksā€¦

A PI1 SD card will not work.
Install the PI2/3 Image via OSMC Installer and you are up and running in 10 minutes

1 Like