Raspberry pi 3 kodi buffering issue

I am facing buffering issues when streaming from nfs share in local network.
Details:
osmc@marmita_pi:~$ uname -a
Linux marmita_pi 4.4.27-5-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 22 02:23:12 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
osmc@marmita_pi:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Open Source Media Center”
NAME=“OSMC”
VERSION=“December 2016”
VERSION_ID=“2016.12-1”
ID=osmc
ID_LIKE=debian

Some tests with iperf3
/iperf301 -c 192.168.2.222 -t 200
Connecting to host 192.168.2.222, port 5201
[ 4] local 192.168.2.178 port 65119 connected to 192.168.2.222 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-1.02 sec 5.00 MBytes 41.1 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 1.02-2.01 sec 5.38 MBytes 45.7 Mbits/sec

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-200.02 sec 1.36 GBytes 58.2 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-200.02 sec 1.36 GBytes 58.2 Mbits/sec receiver

Bandwidth seems enough. Any help or directions on how to solve this would be appreciated.

1 Like

iperf3 gave false reading in my case. I found out that the wifi Group Key rotation seems to be the problem. I switched it off in my router and the bandwith is now stable and fast since 24h.
Please test your speed with a file which you copy from your (nfs) share to /dev/null
Monitor the speed with iftop. I always got fast speeds with iperf3 but never got this speeds if I copied a file.
After I applied my workaround with the group key, iperf3 and copying a file have the same speed.

Check journalctl if there are any messages like:

wpa_supplicant[323]: wlan0: WPA: Group rekeying completed

After this message appeared the speed drops in my case. Would be interesting if its the same issue.
My router is an Asus RT-AC66U and is always running the latest firmware :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, actually I am on ethernet (ethernet over power line).

Could you still try it with copying a file and iftop?

Similar rate for coping a file.

Can you provide grab-logs -A?

http://paste.osmc.io/eyekokamep

Thanks.

Tried using some settings as suggested in AdvacedSettings.xml for Kodi with MySQL and other tweaks. · GitHub and particularly the section:
>

<buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Comment: Default is 1 -->
    <cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Comment: Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
    <readbufferfactor>2.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Comment: Default is 1.0 -->
    </network>

Seems that no more buffering issues occur during streaming.

I did this and it improved things for a few minutes, then some buffering started occuring, though not as bad as previously.

Those suggestions are not valid for Kodi v17.
From the Kodi wiki:

In Kodi v17, the cache-related tags were removed from <network> and placed under a new <cache> tag. In addition, the following tags were renamed: <cachemembuffersize> was renamed to <memorysize> <readbufferfactor> is renamed to <readfactor>

If you plan to change these settings please have a look at http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_cache and notice the different defaults these days.
At the moment your Kodi is using the default values as those settings are not picked up.

Hi @nAFutro,

That person was still posting when Kodi 16 was alive. This thread is a bit confusing as @howie reused the thread 9 months later