Raspberry Pi pre-config in installer?

I just rebuilt my Raspberry Pi 2 OSMC installation again. That my system keeps failing is probably a bad SD card, or some other problem or…that’s not the point here.

It took me about an hour to get everything back to where I wanted it. It occurred to me that it would sure be nice if I could set a few of the basic system settings, settings which are scattered all over the OSMC interface, during the initial install process, when I’m building the SD card on my regular computer. It would have been really nice to be able to…

• Enter my MPEG-2 licen[s|c]e key value
  • Enable the PVR system
  • Select my PVR client
  • Set the audio output device (analog[ue] vs. HDMI)
  • Set the video output device

Heck, if I could tell it my country and time zone at this point it would be great…just power it up and it would be ready to go!

The big one is the MPEG licen[s|c]e keys. Even with a remote control app on an iP[a|o]d, typing the key is a bit of a pain. If I could enter the key on my computer while building the SD card, I could just copy it from my email…

–Dave

You are aware of the build in Backup function of OSMC?

I’m aware of it, but tend not to use it…

The biggest issue is that because of updates and the like, one of two things is likely to happen with a backup:

a) The backup will be so old as to be worthless, requiring massive updates after the reinstall

b) The backup will include the corruption that made the system go down in the first place

(I have experienced both)

Because my system contains no data and only limited customization (I use it as a MythTV front-end and Internet streamer) doing a clean install tends to be the safest way to rebuild the system. Besides, the only place to put the backup is on the SD card, as the RPi doesn’t have write access to any of my other file systems…

Good advice, though…!

–Dave

Hey, thanks for the information. I’m trying to do a backup so I can copy it over to another micro SD card for my living room. I’m not that savvy to get the backup without some help. Does anyone know of a YouTube that someone has made to show me, step by step, how to set up the backup, copy over to another micro SD card? I’ve tried to do the backup thing and I get lost after the 2nd or 3rd step.
Thanks,
Rich

It may be possible to allow for more advanced preseeding capabilities in the future.

Sam