Remote control working intermittently

Starting about a week ago, with no particular event predicating it, the remote control started working intermittently. By this I mean, for five or ten seconds it’s fine, then it doesn’t respond for five or ten seconds.

It’s not actually the remote control, though, unless it’s the dongle; I have two remotes and synced the old one, and it works the same. Replaced the battery, the same. Rebooted and disabled all add-ons, the same. Swapped USB ports, same.

Powering down the system for a couple minutes (not just rebooting) seems to cure it for a little while after it finishes rebooting - I’ve tried this twice, both times it works for about a minute after a long-ish period of the power being off. Then it starts doing it again. But simply rebooting has no effect, so would this be an indication of some possibly heat-related hardware problem?

It doesn’t seem like anything in general is lagging in the system; video playback works fine (except that the remote control doesn’t respond half the time I try to use it). Everything else seems to be working normally. Can’t seem to find any similar issues here, thoughts?

What do you mean by this?

Lately we’ve had a number of remote returns, where the issue was caused by a low battery; so it’s worth investigating this a bit more.

When the remote acts sporadically, do you see a blue light when you press the button still? Does the duration of the light change?

Sam

What do you mean by this?

I have two remotes but only one dongle; one was a replacement for the battery door issue. Tried both, and tried replacing battery, but no change in behavior.

When the remote acts sporadically, do you see a blue light when you press the button still? Does the duration of the light change?

Why yes it does…

when it works, the light duration is short, when it doesn’t work, its a bit longer.

Any recent changes in your environment?

Sam

Any recent changes in your environment?

I added an HDMI switcher maybe a week before this started. It has an IR-only remote, but I also tried disabling it once this began to be sure it wasn’t involved and it didn’t make a difference. There’s nothing RF that’s been added that I can think of other than a couple walkie talkies… which I just verified are turned off :wink:

Also see my edit above about powering down for a while (I probably updated that after you read it), seems like if I was getting environmental interference this wouldn’t have an effect.

Can you go to My OSMC and upload a set of logs?
If it’s an issue with the dongle we may see some disconnects in logs.

Are you using a USB hub? Can you swap the USB port in which the dongle is situated?

Cheers

Sam

Uploaded; the dongle is plugged directly into the Vero 4K. (I did try both ports a couple days ago, it didn’t make a difference).

Are you saying that both remotes suffer from this issue?

Are you saying that both remotes suffer from this issue?

Well, I’m saying it’s likely that the remote is not at fault, since it happens with both of them.

Do both remotes have volume buttons?
Why do you only have one dongle?

Sam

Do both remotes have volume buttons?

They are identical, neither has a volume button.

Why do you only have one dongle?

You sent me a replacement for the one with the battery door sticking out; it didn’t come with a dongle.

Did you send us the dongle with the return?
If the issue was with the remote only, we would’ve replaced the remote and sent anything else back with the item.

If you let me know your order number I can check photos of RMAs associated with this order.

Sam

I never returned anything; you should be able to find our PM thread about this from August 2017. Original order # was 7566. Not sure how this relates to solving this new problem though…

Any more thoughts on this? It seems to be getting worse, kind of difficult to use the device effectively at this point.

I assume Vero 4K will work with any random USB remote control? It seems like the next step might be to try a different remote… I can probably get ahold of one.

Have you tried using your TV’s remote via CEC? That’s how I use my Vero and it works great.

CEC generally has been a disaster with the setup I have so I disabled it; inputs switching when I don’t want them to and other issues related to HDMI ARC. It was hard to get a config where everything worked with multichannel sound and it doesn’t stay where I want it with CEC enabled.

I also like the Vero remote a lot better than the TV one anyway…

I’m a new 4K+ user (first Vero ever) and i’m running into something like this…

I’ll just be using the remote and it just stops working… Sometimes I yank the battery and it’ll come back, sometimes I go and pull the USB dongle out and put it back in, then it’ll work… Sometimes doing these processes fix nothing…

When it gets into this mode, i load up the Kodi app on my phone and the Vero4K+ is super responsive. Curious if what I’m running into might be what you’re seeing.

Have you repaired the remote?

Sorry for delays. You can contact support@osmc.tv

If the question was to me, I guess i’m failing to understand how repairing the remote would fix something that is already paired (and works most of the time??)

I can try it, but it just doesn’t make sense to me :slight_smile: