Remote unresponsive when playing 4K content

Happy user of the Vero 4K+ here, but since a couple of weeks/months (not sure when it started) I’m experiencing some issues with the (standard) remote. When playing 4K content (I’m using Kodi) the remote doesn’t respond well to input. When pressing a button (doesn’t matter which one) the GUI often doesn’t respond. When repeating input (3-4 times) eventually it does respond, but obviously this is a bit annoying as double key presses can happen this way. Also, long-press for subtitles (stop button) is a bit hazardous (will often end up stopping playback)…

The issue only appears when playing 4K content. With any other content the remote is super-responsive. I guess this rules out any battery or receiver issues. Also, when accessing the system info during 4K playback, the CPU occupancy is around 20%, so this is well within limits you’d say.

Does anyone have the same issue, or maybe suggestions on how to fix?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks for the response. I followed the steps and this is the provided URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/eyawomulak

I had the same issue with my Harmony Hub, when I moved it closer the issue was resolved, but I also had the issue when viewing 4K content.

So for you @correctomundo if you get closer to the Vero, is the response better?
If so … it could be the same issue.

1 Like

No, this makes no difference unfortunately. Also, when playing 1080p or 720p content, there’s no issue. So I don’t think it’s receiver related.

Shame, but nice to know :slight_smile:

From your logs (search for HandleKey), the key presses seem to come in frequently and are recognised.

Can you try the remote in the other USB port and see if this helps with things?

I don’t know if this is related but I think your USB receiver might not be correct for the remote it is paired with. Do you have a second OSMC remote that the dongle may have gotten swapped around with?

@Theetjuh: I stand corrected. I thought I tried this before when trying to solve it in my own, but after some extra troubleshooting this afternoon, I found out it really does solve the issue when moving closer (or better yet: aiming the remote to the top of the screen, near where the receiver is located). Thanks for the tip!

I don’t understand why this would only happen when playing 4K content though.

I guess I’ll get a USB extension cord to find a perfect spot for the receiver…

Glad to help, I also noticed other hardware interfering with the signal.

No idea what the Vero normally uses, I think RF, but the Harmony Hub connects with bluetooth which is easily interfered.

I found it kind of weird I only lost responsiveness with 4K and to be even more precise with 10bit content, at least I found a workaround for it.

Found my old topic: Erratic bluetooth behaviour with 10bit 444 chroma

2.4Ghz so there is lots of different sources it can pick up interference from unfortunatly.