Resolution change?

Excellent! May we know which version of the kernel are you working on and which benefits you expect to introduce?

In time yes – for now our goal is to synchronise with SoC vendor improvements.

Sam

1 Like

Can’t wait for 1280x768 and 1360x768 to be supported resolutions!

2 Likes

I just bought the Vero 4K+ and it turns out there is no support for 1360x768 which is my TV’s native resolution. The picture on the screen is quite grainy and enjoying to look at…

Model: LG 42PC55
Manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=KROWM000154855.pdf

@sam_nazarko Is there anything I can do to fix it or anything I can help with to have the support for 1360x768 added soon?

I am afraid, I might have to return the box as I’m not keen on spending for a new TV just yet to fix a resolution problem which didn’t exist with RPi 2.

ATM Vero does not support DMT modes, but I would be surprised if you would get a better result sending 1360x768 than if you let the TV do the scaling it’s been designed for.

You do have your GUI set to 1080p?

FWIW, I have been bickering about that resolution for a long time, but for us is the picture quality OK, but the issue is instead that some things end up off-screen.

Support for DMT modes should be ready by the end of Summer, when we move to a newer kernel. We will also add support for setting custom resolutions entirely.

Setting to 720p or 1080p should look good.

That sounds like overscan rather than a resolution issue. Many HD ready TVs didn’t have any settings to deactivate overscan. Mine only offered a PC mode which was effectively a mode which rendered the incoming image on the whole screen.
I wouldn’t be sure, if inputting the panel’s native resolution would indeed solve this.

HD ready TVs are a really strange compromise of that time.

@grahamh Yes, I set it to 1920x1080p and it looks pixelated. I also noticed it is overscanning which I was able to correct on the RPi as well.

When I was running RPi 1/2 the picture was always smooth and crisp as it supports natively 1360x768p, so, yes, the result will be excellent picture if I was able to set the resolution to the TV’s native one.

I’m not sure anything can be done on the TV side to fix any scales issues as the menu is quite simple.

Will that include custom refresh rates for existing resolutions (e.g. 720p/24 or 480p/24)?

If you want to define the modelines fully, then it’s possible.

Could you post some logs so we can see what your TV’s capabilities are?

@grahamh Sure. Which logs exactly would be helpful me best if you tell me how to obtain them?
I’m comfortable with SSH, bash, etc.

Just reboot then use MyOSMC’s log uploader, choose ‘All configs and Logs’ and ‘Upload Selected Logs Now’.

Paste the URL you get here.

1 Like

@grahamh https://paste.osmc.tv/asifecebic

@grahamh did you get a chance to look into the logs?

Yes, thanks. That’s useful as my 1360x768 TV doesn’t do that mode on HDMI. I can have a quick look but I don’t want to spend too much time on the existing kernel.

1 Like

I found a satisfactory work around for these issues: buying an Extron HD HD, Extron 301 HD scaler or Crestron HD scaler.

I bought all three to test. All three correctly scale and output 1360x768 and a variety of other resolutions. Can be picked up on eBay (the Crestron is the cheapest). The 301 HD is the best but most expensive.