Rhythmic Freezing Of 4K Movies/TV Series After November Update

When I grab logs from the other one, with the HDD plugged into the powered hub, do you want me to do the two ‘reboots’ after enabling debug logging, power it off through the menu then switch off at the wall, wait 30 seconds, switch on again?

Try start the device from cold. Does it play files OK?

Plugged in HDD into the powered hub.
Turned on the 4K+
Played the Hawkeye video - played bad.
Pressed Home/Power/Power Off/Switched off at the wall for 30 seconds.

Switched on at the wall.
Played Hawkeye - played bad.

Did the above a total of 6 times, played bad every time.

Played a few other 4K videos, all played bad.

A log from a fresh boot where it plays bad would be very helpful.

Otherwise, I’d suggest reinstalling from Download - OSMC as you seem OK with re-installing. Pick the latets image.

Will go now and do logs from a fresh boot.

When I reinstall, what is the procedure I do, in relation to what you said in another thread?

"Let’s keep an eye on things. It could even be a memory leak after some time. But my theory is that it only happens during warm reboots and when you installed the update you didn’t power cycle the box".

I don’t think your issue is necessarily related; given the fact that their logs show multiple attempts to load the HEVC firmware via secureOSMC and yours does not.

When I reinstall, I will do it the way I have been doing it for years, with no problems during those reinstalls.

Fresh Boot:
Turned on at the wall.
Turned on logging.
Played Hawkeye - played good.
Shut down through the correct procedure and turn it off at the wall for 30 seconds.

Turned on at the wall.
Turned on logging.
Played Hawkeye - played bad.
Sent log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/ukiximupoh

Will wait for your report before I reinstall.

Ignore the second instance where I wrote “turned on logging”
Tip to self: Do Not Copy & Paste. lol.

To clarify: however you reinstall (cold boot, warm boot, etc), won’t matter.
I think we may have an issue with playback after reboots; but however you update or install initially won’t make an impact on that.

Try a reinstall of 2021.11-2. Hold off on restoring any backup until after you check playback. If it fails, try 2021.8-1. I know it’s a pain…

Cheers

Sam

Installed 2021.11-2 from a USB stick. Installed OK. Removed stick, plugged in powered hub & HDD.
HDD not seen. Shut down, powered off at the wall for 30 seconds.

Power on, no HDD or sticks seen from the hub. Remove hub and put a stick in the USB port.
Not seen. Replaced it with a couple of HDD’s. Not seen.

There is power being delivered by the port as the sticks light up & the HDD’s lights come on & settle down to slow flashing.

Tried to install 2021.8-1 from a USB stick. Get this message “Install Failed: Could Not Mount Bootfs”.

Installed 2021.11-2 from micro SD card. Installed OK. Powered off & switch off at the wall for 30 seconds. Removed SD card & powered on.

Plugged in powered hub & HDD into the hub. HDD not seen. tried a few HDD’s & USB sticks, none were seen, even after power off’s & reboots.

Installed 2021.8-1 from SD card. Installed OK. Did all of the above that I did on install 2021.11.2. Same results.

Removed Blue-tooth remote dongle & tried the USB stick & HDD in its port.
The USB stick & HDD were seen and I could see the videos on them. Did not try to play anything as that port may not supply enough power & then I realised, the remote would not work anyway. lol.

I stuck the Blue-tooth dongle into the USB port that was not seeing the drives to see if the remote would work but it did not.

Placed the dongle back into its port and the remote worked. Shut down Vero 4K+.

Sam, you had said further up this thread “I can see the playback issue: but it’s not clear to me what is causing this yet”.

I think what has happened is that the electronics (apart from Power) to do with that USB port were starting to fail intermittently, hence a 4K video would sometimes play with no trouble but, most of the time would give trouble. Now, apart from Power, it has failed completely.

Is there anything else you want me to do, to test my theory?

I suspect an install 2020.11-1, all will work fine (don’t update to latest). Use the port (suspect white port) which gave you bootfs mounting error and suspect it will work

Very much doubt HW issue whatsoever.

Tried to install 20.11-1 from a USB stick in the white port. Got “Install failed: could not mount bootfs”.

I will try installing older versions in descending order.

2020.10-1
Got “Install failed: could not mount bootfs” error.

2020.06-1
Installed OK. The 2020.06-1 was the last one that was available through the osmc-installer.

Configured nothing, HDD was seen in the powered hub, played the 4K Hawkeye video, played OK.
Shut down and turned off at the wall for 30 seconds. Turned on and played the Hawkeye video. Played OK. I did this sequence four times. The video played OK each time.

Then I did a sequence of choosing Reboot in the power menu & Hawkeye placed OK.

I will not update until you tell me to and I won’t restore the backup of the setting I have been using.

I am going to look at settings as the 4K Hawkeye is playing at 1280 x 720p and sound at 2.0.
I will report back.

Configured a few things and the playback of video & audio is fine,
Tried many 4K movies/TV Series and had no problems encountered.

Have you any idea what’s happening with my 4K+?

I don’t want to stay on 2020.06-1 forever.
When 3D Frame Packed playback became a reality with the Vero’s, I replaced the vast majority of my 3D SBS with the full versions. I now have lost the ability to play the frame Packed 3D.

I wonder why there has not been a large number of users reporting playback problems?
It looks like it may be just a few of us.

Last question:
Do you know why, of the five versions available for download through the osmc-installer, that all of them, except the oldest one, gave the bootfs error?

You should only get the bootfs error on these versions:

2021.11-2
2021.08-1
2020.11-1
2020.10-1

and only when installing with a USB device connected to the white port. That’s because these versions use a newer kernel for installation (4.9). I did this so we could test basic functionality before rolling out the newer kernel further to the target system.

The playback issue won’t be related.
It just proves your issue is USB related.

You can update – just avoid the white USB port for now. But you must’ve been on an older version for this problem to start – because the white USB port not functioning on some devices has been a known issue since the 2021.08-1 release (still working on it), but you remarked that things worked as expected on this version. This is why I’d advise upgrading again

Cheers

Sam

Yes, both the 4K and the 4K+ were on Kodi 19.1 (2021.08-1 Linux 4.9.113-45) and played fine.

With the 4K+ now on 2020.06-1, I updated through My OSMC to Kodi 19.3 (2021.11-2 Kernel 4.9.113-55). After the update, nothing is seen on the white USB port.

Installed 2020.06-1 again through the USB. USB sticks & HDD’d are seen.
Installed 2021.08-1 through the SD card. Nothing is seen on the white USB port.

I will stay on 2020.06-1 for now as ALL my viewing is through the USB port, without the use of the port, the 4K+ is unusable for me.

I have turned off updating in both boxes.

Seeing my 4K is working fine on 20.11.1 (Kernel 4.9.113-55), maybe it is the differences between it and the 4K+, is an area to look at as to why the differences may be causing this USB problem?

I am so very glad that there is not a Hardware problem.

I assume there is great demand for your time (when do you sleep. lol) but I wonder if you can give a ball-park estimate of when the fix for the USB will happen?
I will not hold you to any estimation you may give.

Off to bed now. Thanks, Sam, for your most welcome help. I do appreciate it.

That’s expected.

I will let you know when this is resolved. I don’t have an ETA presently.

Reading other posts I see that there is an update. Read this in the Blog: " * Fixed an issue which prevented the white USB port from functioning on some Vero 4K + devices" and " * Fixed an issue which caused playback issues of HEVC on Vero 4K/4K+."

Updated through OSMC, from 2020-06.1 Kodi 18.7 to 2021-12.1 Kodi 19.3.
Plugged in a powered hub. Plugged in a USB stick into the hub. Played Hawkeye (4K). It played fine.
Reboot, Hawkeye played fine. Reboot again, played fine. Eject the USB stick, powered off at the wall for 30 seconds.

Turned on, plugged the USB stick into the hub, played Hawkeye, the rhythmic freezing problem returned, exactly the same as previously reported. Reboot, still freezing every couple of seconds. Powered off at the wall. Powered on, Hawkeye still freezing.

Turned on debug logging, rebooted twice, played Hawkeye, still freezing.
Uploaded logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/puvaberuqa

Turned off debug logging. Disabled the white list.
4K movies still freezing, 1080p play fine.

Power off at the wall, powered on, Hawkeye and 4K movies play fine.
Reboot, 4K and Hawkeye play fine.

Off at the wall, turn on, Hawkeye and 4K movies freezing.
Oh … Bugga…

The June 2020 release is very old. Is there a specific reason you are using such an old version?

Have you tried a fresh installation?

Are you sure everything is getting enough power?

From my previous post up the thread a bit:
"With the 4K+ now on 2020.06-1, I updated through My OSMC to Kodi 19.3 (2021.11-2 Kernel 4.9.113-55). After the update, nothing is seen on the white USB port.

Installed 2021.08-1 through the SD card. Nothing is seen on the white USB port.

I will stay on 2020.06-1 for now as ALL my viewing is through the USB port, without the use of the port, the 4K+ is unusable for me."

That was the reason for having June 2020 installed.

Yes for the power question. My wife wanted to watch a 4K movie tonight so I brought my 4K down from the bedroom (on the latest Kodi, minus this 2021-12.1 update) and hooked it up in place of my 4K+ (same powered hub and Vero power plug) and 4K plays fine.

I will try for a fresh install, now that the white USB port is working.
I will do that in about 24/30 hours time as that is when I will next have free time.

Did the log show anything?