Rhythmic Freezing Of 4K Movies/TV Series After November Update

I have the Vero 4K and 4K+. Both were on Kodi 19.1 (2021.08-1). I run stock standard installs, no add-ons of any sort.

I have multiple 1080p/4K movies and 1080p/4K TV series. They all played fine.

I updated both Vero’s to the November Kodi 19.3. The update on both Vero’s went fine.

The 4K (in my bedroom) played the 1080p/4K files fine.

The 4K+ (in my lounge) has a problem playing the 1080p/4K files. 1080p video is not affected as badly as 4K video. I tried playing ten 4K movies/TV episodes and the same in 1080p.

What is happening in the 4K Movies/TV series, is the video starts playing and every 2/3 seconds it freezes, showing ‘blocking’ artefacts on the screen. Then it plays from where it froze for another 2/3 seconds and freezes again with more ‘blocking’. It just continues like that.

The audio is not affected as it just keeps on playing normally. In another 4K movie, the 'blocking was so bad that I would get a complete green screen instead, and sometimes a mixture of the green screen with bits of the 'blocking", then 2/3 seconds later, more freezing with the green screen/blocking.

I restarted the 4K+ 6 times by choosing to shut down in its menu and then switching off power to the plug.

On one occasion, it played the 1080p/4K files fine.

I downloaded Kodi 19.1, put it on a USB stick and installed it onto the 4K+.
It played the 1080p/4K files fine.

Through the 4K+, I updated to Kodi 19.3 again but the problem returned.

I have two powered USB hubs, of different brands, one in the bedroom and the other in the lounge.
To rule out an external reason for the problem, I swapped over the two Vero’s only. The bedroom 4K played all files fine hooked up in the lounge. The 4K+ still had its problem, hooked up in the bedroom.

So, something is not right inside the 4K+. To rule out corruption during the download through the 4K+, is there somewhere else I can download the OSMC Kodi 19.3 from?

I have taken some photos and a couple of short videos of the problem, in case I need to upload them somewhere for you.

I have enabled debug logging and have submitted the log at https://paste.osmc.tv/ezesogunuc

From a quick skim (it’s late here)…

If you disable the whitelist, does it help?

Is there an enable/disable option for the whitelist or do I do each one individually?

Took note of what was active and not active and deactivated the whole whitelist, right arrow, clicked OK
Played Hawkeye (4K TV episode) but there was no change. The problem still exists.

Turned off debug logging and rebooted twice, played Hawkeye, the problem still there, no change.

Can you please upload new logs?

I’m not trying to be a pain in the arse, but want to verify what changes you did indeed make and compare differences.

I’m off now – so won’t pick this up until later.

Cheers

Sam

That log was huge (I know zero about what it should be), lots of stuff to wade through. I thought I would put the video file on a USB stick and play it from there, instead of the 1TB ext HDD it is on. It may generate a smaller, easier log to read. Shall I do that?

I put the Hawkeye onto a blank USB stick and played from it, first plugged into the powered hub and then removed the hub and played it from the USB socket on the 4K+. The problem remains both ways.

So, new logs from the USB stick plugged into the hub or the 1TB HDD plugged into the hub?

The file wouldn’t happen to contain Dolby Vision metadata by any chance?
Do you mind sharing the mediainfo output of the file you’re trying to playback?

I try to avoid DV stuff as my TV does not support it.
I pay attention to the file names but sometimes people omit to put the correct information into the name.

Is this what you mean? (first time I have done this).
https://paste.osmc.tv/kawezisoma.coffee

Thanks for sending that through, just curious as the issue you’ve described sounds very similar to the one I have but only applies to certain 4K titles with embedded DV metadata.

I have a few DV HEVC Remuxs, I will try playing one of them, on both the 4K & 4K+, just to see what happens.

Played 3 of the DV HEVC Remuxs on both boxes. The 4K played then faultlessly (fallback to HDR10?) but the 4K+ had the same problem with freezing, blocking and some green screens.

They are likely on different versions of OSMC

As I said in line 3 of my original post," I updated both Vero’s to the November Kodi 19.3."

Now, here is my question again “So, new logs from the USB stick plugged into the hub or the 1TB HDD plugged into the hub?”

I am off to bed so it will be a while before I read your answer.

Both. I want to check for differences.

Both the 4K & 4K+ are running Kodi 19.3 (November).
The 4K plays faultlessly.

The 4K+ has the playback problem and the following is for the 4K+ only.

A.
Powered on with only the HDD connected to the powered hub.
Turned on debug logging.
Rebooted twice.
Played the 4K Hawkeye - played OK.
Sent log:
https://paste.osmc.tv/wowasokopo
Powered off the system through the menu and turned off at the wall.

B.
Turned on at the wall.
Powered on with only the HDD connected to the powered hub.
(buggar-can’t remember if I rebooted next)
Played the 4K Hawkeye - played bad.
Sent log:
https://paste.osmc.tv/igotokotav

C.
Powered on with only the USB stick connected to the powered hub.
Rebooted twice.
Played the 4K Hawkeye - played OK.
Sent log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/depipudina

D.
Powered on with only the USB stick connected to the powered hub.
Rebooted twice.
Played the 4K Hawkeye - played bad.
Sent log.
https://paste.osmc.tv/itefodidaj
Turned off debug logging.

I am pleased I have been able to send logs with the video both playing bad and good.
You should be able to see what is happening, comparing the good to the bad.

I can see the playback issue:

Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: first toggle picture {3840,2160} pts:1
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: Colorimetry: bt2020nc
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: HDR data: EOTF: HDR10
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: No master display info
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: 
                             [amvideo..] saturation_post:0 hue_post:0 mab:1000000
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: VIDEO: VsyncEnableVideoLayer
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: PPMGRDRV: info: angle:0,orientation:0,videoangle:0
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: [0]cur lcu idx = 0, (total 8160), set error_mark
Dec 01 14:25:12 osmc kernel: [0]cur lcu idx = 0, (total 8160), set error_mark

but it’s not clear to me what is causing this yet.

From what you’re saying, it seems like the issue is only occurring with warm boots and not cold boots?

Thanks

Sam

This is the first time I have heard the phrases 'warm boots" and “cold boots”.
I would only be guessing what you mean. Can you elaborate, please?

The way I use both boxes is after I finish watching something, I power them off through the menu and then switch them off at the wall. I know that they are designed to be OK when left running but my wife does not like non-essential (gasp) electronics left switched on.

Out of curiosity, are the logs from the USB stick easier to read, with just one video file, than the logs from the 1TB HDD, which was nearly full of video files?

A cold boot is when you power the device by plugging it in and do not use the Reboot option in the Power menu.

I only checked the top two logs.
I’d be curious to compare the settings to the other, working device.

Interestingly in another thread users seem to be reporting positive results from a cold boot.

I am watching that thread you mention HEVC issues with Vero4K+ - #13 by invik

In it, you said "Let’s keep an eye on things. It could even be a memory leak after some time. But my theory is that it only happens during warm reboots and when you installed the update you didn’t power cycle the box.

That’s not your fault - we don’t expect you to have to do so."

The part about “when you installed the update you didn’t power cycle the box.”

When I update, I do this:
Update finishes, I power off through the menu & switch off at the wall.

What should I be doing?

Once you tell me, I am quite happy to install Kodi 19.1 on the 4K+ & update it to Kodi 19.3
If I follow your instructions precisely, then my problem may be resolved.

The instructions you give me will be the way I update through My OSMC from now on.

PS. the reason I was doing two ‘reboots’ before grabbing logs, is because one of your Moderators had said that in a previous thread of someone else.