RPI2 + Hyperion + OSMC

@pezio you need to enable spi, read this thread through and your will find solution.
Edit, check this post

The led have completely stopped working with the new update. Is anyone seeing the same thing? Hyperion seems working but my ledā€™s do not lit at all.

Make sure there are no more updates left. There was a issue its fixed in the meantime.

Thanks duri yeah i had few packages which were not upgraded. It works perfectly now

For those who also had problems with flickering and used an usb2lan dongle for a workaround.

Can you please also check how it behaves now in the current OSMC july release (new kernel, ā€¦)?

From my side I think it is gone.

I have returned to the onboard lan and tested some movies for some minutes and currently there isnā€™t flickering anymore :slight_smile:

After OSMC Update:
root@KODI:~# uname -a
Linux KODI 4.1.3-2-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 4 11:44:21 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Would be nice to hear your experienceā€¦

giovanne,
I was having flickering issues with OpenELEC 5.0.8 on my Pi 2 using the lightberryHD kit. I had to use a USB Wifi dongle to get rid of the flickering. But wifi sucks compared to ethernet :wink:

I switched to OSMC 2015-08 and I do not seem to have the flickering issues when using onboard LAN. Iā€™m also wondering if maybe new kernel fixed the issue. Iā€™m going to keep doing some testing to make sure flickering is gone. But I have high hopes!

Dear ALL,

Flickering occurs due to level voltage driving difference between Rasp2 and ws2801 leds. Rasp2 works with 3.3 volt signals, while ws2801 ledstrips use a 5v logic. With my RaspB+ all worked fine, but with my new Rasp2 I also had this flickering issue. I guess there is no tolerance from Rasp2 to such connectivity issues and could still not find any info on it.
REMEDY: Use the following circuit between raspberry and the leds. Remember to also use a ferrite core on which 2 rounds of the wires to the leds are required to eliminate noise and interference. This is a schematic of the circuit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ZcmO7qPop_NHhkSDRkS0ctSFU/view?usp=sharing
Watch out for the polarity of the electrolytic capacitor. This design uses a SN74HCT08 chip.
On my design I actually used the SN74LS125A which works just as fine. You should consult however the datasheet of this quad buffer chip to alter your schematic accordingly. You may find it here:

You will be using two of its buffers for data and clock lines, so make sure to ground the inputs of the rest two buffers to avoid any possible noise or modulation within the chip that may cause problems. Remember to also ground the enable pins on the buffers used, since these buffers are negative logic. Electrolytic capacitor should also be used next to the chip.
My driving cable that goes all the way to the ledstrips is more than a meter long. So the above solution not only interfaces voltage logic, but also amplifies signal for use.
There is no other need to use any kind of adapters. Good Luck!

One more thing to check if you do not get any LEDs to light up is that the clock and data lines on the light strip is swapped. Mine was wired to the wrong end. The data and clock lines are cascaded thru the WS2801 chip. One side is the input and the other side is the output. Swapping the clock and data to the other end worked right away! It took me quite a while to figure that out and googling did not yield any solution. If someone could complie an FAQ would be nice.

Hope this helpsā€¦

Hi guys, today my setup is RPi 2 + hyperion + 2 lightpacks + 55" LG TV. It works fine, but I am not very satisfied with Lightpack. ItĀ“s resolution is not that great, because of 3 led = one pixel. So I am planing to move forward. My plan is to build my own LPD8806 light strip. As I have 55" inch TV I plan to use ca 4 m of LPD8806 led strip with density of 64 LED/m, that is around 240 individual leds (channels). And there is my concern. Will my Raspberry pi 2 with Hyperion handle config file with 240 channels / leds? Can I expect any lags or flaws? Will be there enough performance for full HD video and 240 LED ambilight? I donĀ“t want to buy 100$ LED strip and then realise that the RPI or Hyperion cant handle that bulky 240 LED config file. Thank you very much!

well it should work, pi2 can control it but not power it through GPIO, so en external power supplyā€¦ 3apms should do it for the leds alone.

-H

Thank you for your answer. Yes, external power source is matter of course, I plan to use enough Amps to feed it separately of Pi. Piā€™s GPIO will be just for data provided to LED strip. My only concern was about 240 channel config file and PIĀ“s ability to handle that big amount of leds via Hyperion. Because Hyperion must have 240 picking zones, and that can be performance hungry, maybe, I donĀ“t know.

I know that PiĀ“s GPIO will handle 240 leds as a hardware, but I donĀ“t know if Pi and Hyperion will handle it also as software - those 240 picking zones

I red somewhere(i think on hyperion git) it should be no harm to pi 2

Hi,

had build my stripes ( WS2801 ) at the holidays. Since now there is only the first led working, when i run hyperion the following is upcoming:

osmc@osmcone:~$ sudo /usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion.config.json
Application build time: Mar 6 2015 20:57:44
QCoreApplication initialised
Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion.config.json
ColorTransform ā€˜defaultā€™ => [0; 30]
Device configuration:
{
ā€œcolorOrderā€ : ā€œrgbā€,
ā€œnameā€ : ā€œMyPiā€,
ā€œoutputā€ : ā€œ/dev/spidev0.1ā€,
ā€œrateā€ : 250000,
ā€œtypeā€ : ā€œws2801ā€
}

Black border threshold set to 0.01 (3)
Not creating any smoothing
Effect loaded: Knight rider
Effect loaded: Blue mood blobs
Effect loaded: Cold mood blobs
Effect loaded: Full color mood blobs
Effect loaded: Green mood blobs
Effect loaded: Red mood blobs
Effect loaded: Warm mood blobs
Effect loaded: Rainbow mood
Effect loaded: Rainbow swirl fast
Effect loaded: Rainbow swirl
Effect loaded: Snake
Effect loaded: Strobe blue
Effect loaded: Strobe Raspbmc
Effect loaded: Strobe white
Initializing Python interpreter
Hyperion created and initialised
run effect Rainbow swirl fast on channel 0
Boot sequence(Rainbow swirl fast) created and started
XBMC video checker created and started
Display opened with resolution: 1920x1080
Frame grabber created and started
Json server created and started on port 19444
Proto server created and started on port 19445
XBMC Connected
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:666,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:[{ā€œplayeridā€:1,ā€œtypeā€:ā€œvid eoā€}]}
XBMC checker: switching to VIDEO mode
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:668,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:{"System.ScreenSaverActive ":false}}
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:667,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:{ā€œitemā€:{ā€œidā€:508,ā€œlabelā€: ā€œRTL Televisionā€,ā€œtypeā€:ā€œchannelā€}}}
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:670,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:{ā€œversionā€:{ā€œmajorā€:15,ā€œmi norā€:2,ā€œrevisionā€:ā€œUnknownā€,ā€œtagā€:ā€œstableā€}}}
BORDER SWITCH REQUIRED!!
CURRENT BORDER TYPE: unknown=0 hor.size=0 vert.size=0
effect finished

Could somebody please tell me how to get this working? I will upload some pics in the evening when i come home.

As promised, here a re 2 pictures of my project:

Hi GodHunt3r, I have a very similar project with a very similar problem ! Iā€™ve spent hours looking for a solution but the lights are still off (except the last one) :anguished:

Did you enable SPI?

Got it, at the first stripe i didnt cut of and used the original connectors. After i had cut them of and solded my own cables to it everything works like a charm.

I need help. I have Arduino Mega, OSMC,Raspberry model B and WS2801. LEDs not working.
Add log:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo service hyperion stop
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo /usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion.conf.json
Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion.conf.json
terminate called after throwing an instance of ā€˜std::runtime_errorā€™
what(): Failed to parse configuration: * Line 1, Column 1
Syntax error: value, object or array expected.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo /usr/bin/hyperiond /etc/hyperion.config.json
Selected configuration file: /etc/hyperion.config.json
ColorTransform ā€˜defaultā€™ => [0; 95]
Device configuration:
{
ā€œcolorOrderā€ : ā€œrgbā€,
ā€œnameā€ : ā€œMyPiā€,
ā€œoutputā€ : ā€œ/dev/ttyACM0ā€,
ā€œrateā€ : 115200,
ā€œtypeā€ : ā€œadalightā€
}

Opening UART: /dev/ttyACM0
Black border threshold set to 0.01 (3)
Not creating any smoothing
Effect loaded: Knight rider
Effect loaded: Blue mood blobs
Effect loaded: Cold mood blobs
Effect loaded: Full color mood blobs
Effect loaded: Green mood blobs
Effect loaded: Red mood blobs
Effect loaded: Warm mood blobs
Effect loaded: Rainbow mood
Effect loaded: Rainbow swirl fast
Effect loaded: Rainbow swirl
Effect loaded: Snake
Effect loaded: Strobe blue
Effect loaded: Strobe Raspbmc
Effect loaded: Strobe white
Initializing Python interpreter
Hyperion created and initialised
run effect Rainbow swirl fast on channel 0
Boot sequence(Rainbow swirl fast) created and started
XBMC video checker created and started
Display opened with resolution: 1920x1080
Frame grabber created and started
Json server created and started on port 19444
Proto server created and started on port 19445
XBMC Connected
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:666,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:}
XBMC checker: switching to MENU mode
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:668,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:{"System.ScreenSaverActive ":false}}
Message from XBMC: {ā€œidā€:670,ā€œjsonrpcā€:ā€œ2.0ā€,ā€œresultā€:{ā€œversionā€:{ā€œmajorā€:15,ā€œmi norā€:2,ā€œrevisionā€:ā€œUnknownā€,ā€œtagā€:ā€œstableā€}}}
BORDER SWITCH REQUIRED!!
CURRENT BORDER TYPE: unknown=0 hor.size=0 vert.size=0
effect finished

Thanks =)

Why do you use an arduino with ws2801?
Rpi can drive them directly canā€™t it?

You selected adalight in the config. Is that correct? Shouldnā€™t it be ws2801 if you have those?

Hi!

I want to use my led strip 90LEDs with hyperion & raspberry pi 2 model.

Hyperion is installed on OSMC and ā€œworkingā€ but LEDs are not powering up.

LED strip is 12V. I wired them the same way as shown here: How to control a RGB or a WS2812 LED Strip with a Raspberry Pi
With pigpiod LEDs are working fine.