Rpi3 & official WiFi woes [solved - disconnect Ethernet cable]

A fantastic day to everyone!

Historically I have run my RPI3 via an ethernet cable on my 5 ghz wireless bridge… however this connection occasionlly flakes at the bridge (not the r7800 router) which annoys the wife and kids when their 1080p.mkv stutters or freezes

As such I picked up an official WiFi adapter, but have run into a snag on the rpi3 (no snag on rpi2 & no need on Vero4K)

With the default setting of sudo nano /boot/config.txt dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
I can see all 2.4 ghz ssids via the internal connector on wlan1 and all the 5 ghz ssids on the external adapter via wlan0 BUT I am unable to enter credentials

With Wired disabled, Wireless enabled, and dtoverlay=sdhost
I can see only the 5 ghz ssids and I can enter credentials however 2 feature killers crop up
1 - the interface slows drastically
2 - the wireless connects but indicates no internet

With Wired enabled, Wireless enabled, and dtoverlay=sdhost
I can see only the 5 ghz ssids and I can enter credentials however the interface slows drastically, even ssh access grinds to a halt

As to why I want to keep this particular unit a rpi3 - dual boot into recalbox as per [Release] OSMC + Recalbox Dual Boot Images for Raspberry Pi … at least until Leia emulator support catches up

Thanks for the peek

Did you check if you had actual Internet access? Can you ping 8.8.8.8 (if so you have a route); can you ping google.com (if so, you have DNS)

Is PSU up to scratch?
Are you saying the adapter is fine on RPi2 but not RPi3?

For proper testing you probably want to remove the Ethernet.

Sam

sorry for the delay @sam_nazarko → coworker was in a horrid wreck and as such my workload skyrocketed.

No need to disable wired or internal wireless. Physically disconnecting the LAN cable was all that was required and the WiFi adapter connects just fine to the router - no drops so far.

… also just ordered a 3B+ to see how it compares to a 3B - mainly for use with the dualboot Recalbox. I am really looking forward to trying the Kodi emulators on the Vero 4K :slight_smile: