Sad Face after October Update

Evening all,

Thanks for the latest update. The installation appeared to go well, but I’m now getting a sad face/black screen loop after the update (from My OSMC app).

Here’s the logs:

I’ve done some troubleshooting after looking through the logs (though to be honest, I don’t really know what I’m looking for). I’ve so far tried:

*Removing redundant fstab commands from advancedsettings.xml
*Removing redundant fstab and an NFS share reference from Sources.xml
*Connecting the Vero4K+ directly to soundbar (bypassing HDMI switch, which seemed to be reporting incorrect/missing EDID details in the initial logs I pulled)
*Renaming guisettings.xml and rebooting to allow a new file to be created

And the following reinstalls from SSH

sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-mediacenter-osmc

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-mediacenter-osmc
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

And renaming .kodi folder, restarting mediacenter with default settings.

But none of the above made any difference, same sad face/black screen loop.

I’m not really sure what I’m looking at but this error reoccurs through the logs. Is it causing the sad face issue?

Oct 19 22:38:59 Vero4 mediacenter[653]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 212: 782 Segmentation fault sudo -u osmc MALLOC_MMAP_THRESHOLD_=8192 LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd $KODI --standalone -fs
Oct 19 22:38:59 Vero4 mediacenter[653]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 3 seconds

Thanks in advance!

Did you stop Kodi (mediacenter) before renaming the .kodi directory? Your log was not from a vanilla .kodi.

Also, in the advancedsettings.xml in the provided logs appears to have syntax errors. (It may be a problem with displaying it via the logs. But where you tried commenting out the cache settings is wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I stopped Kodi first before renaming the folder. It made no difference and so I reverted that change and didn’t pull logs from the vanilla reboot. I can do that and share both sets of logs if that would be helpful.

Understood on the syntax issue, but I believe I closed the active settings (/advancedsettings) before my ill-attempt at commenting out. The xml has been like that for months and months with many reboots and I believe the June update applied too, so I would’nt have thought that this could be the culprit?

Logs with a fresh .kodi directory would be the best thing for now.

As to the advancedsettings, closing </advancedsettings> in the middle of the file is not good. I can’t tell if it’s causing a problem or not, but it’s surely not what you wanted.

Running into the same issue. I’ve disabled all additional services I am running AFAIK: hyperion and RetroPie app-switcher but no luck. Do you have any additional stuff installed?

clean setup (move .kodi auto of the way).

This is from a crashlog generated when I ran kodi --standalone -fs

That’s not a full debug log. Please give us full logs.

Had to dig in the advancedsettings.xml (been a while :slight_smile: )

That is still not a full debug log!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

  • enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

  • reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

  • reproduce the issue

  • upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Yes, was just running the grab-logs -A. Haven’t had an issue with OSMC in over 1,5 years so bear with me. It’s all coming back :smiley:

Since Kodi won’t startup I had to dig into the CLI…

So did Kodi start OK with the fresh .kodi? It looks like it did (at least I don’t see the segfault now)

No. It crashes all the time with a segmentation fault.

Could this be the cause:

# apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libboost-dev libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Removed the packages and ran an autoclean. Suspect they are some leftover from RetroPie. Still segmentation faults… grrrrr

Opps, I missed that.

Did you update via command line, or MyOSMC?

You shouldn’t be using full-upgrade from the command line. You should use dist-upgrade.

I’m an old-school Unix guy (30 years under the hood) so CLI.

I ran full-upgrade from the CLI like I’ve always done.

# apt dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

same as running full-upgrade

From what I understood apt-get dist-upgrade is the equivalent of (the newer) apt full-upgrade.

You’re right. I was thinking just apt upgrade.

Indeed. Upgrade I haven’t used in over 2 years I think. You get an error when you try AFAIK.

I noticed someone has audio issues since the update; his debug logs also contains ActiveAE errors. From what I understand in the kernel messages I get ActiveAE is tainted and causes the segmentation fault.