Screen is cut off

I installed OSMC 2017.2 using the Windows installer to use it on my Raspberry Pi 3 B, which is connected to an old tube television (4:3) using composite video. It works fine. However, the screen is cut off in the default configuration. I have to change the zoom value of the skin settings to -16 to see the whole screen (with black bars). At least the splash screen takes the whole screen. Pi Config → Display says that sdtv_mode is PAL and sdtv_aspect is 4:3. If I change sdtv_aspect to 16:9 (and reboot) it looks still the same. What’s wrong with my display settings?

Zoom 0 (default):

Zoom -16:

splash screen:

Use the screen calibration tool in the settings menu.

Also I am not sure if the osmc skin supports 4:3 aspect ratios. You could try with a different skin.

I think the 4:3 is OK with the OSMC skin - it seems OK on the 4:3 monitors I’ve used it on (through VGA or DVI), but I think there may well be problems relating to the overscan in composite which could be corrected in /boot/config.txt. A quick sample of possibilities from a file I have:

################################################################################
##  Overscan Video Settings
################################################################################

## overscan_left
##     Number of pixels to skip on left
##
#overscan_left=0

## overscan_right
##     Number of pixels to skip on right
##
#overscan_right=0

## overscan_top
##     Number of pixels to skip on top
##
#overscan_top=0

## overscan_bottom
##     Number of pixels to skip on bottom
##
#overscan_bottom=0

## disable_overscan
##     Set to 1 to disable overscan
##
##     Value    Description
##     -------------------------------------------------------------------------
##     0        Overscan Enabled (Default)
##     1        Overscan Disabled
##
#disable_overscan=1

Derek

Thanks, it was the right hint. However, screen calibration is not shown in OSMC 2017.02-2 by default (see Video Calibration thread). It’s not easy to find :disappointed: Anyway, I’m happy now :smile: