Screen lost after a night of running without TV

Good Morning, My RPI is connected to an AV_Reciever (ONKYO TX-SR607) via HDMI and this is one is connected to SAMSUNG TV. Other HDMI Sources are connected to the AV-Reciever too. I switch via Remote which one i want to watch. This works fine as long as the reciever is switched on or not long off. If it is (and samsung tv too) are of over the night and the rpi stays on, there’s no screen in the next morning. the reciever says no signal…(so rpi does not send any signal). i then reboot the rpi via xbmc remote app (so it is only and working, just no signal). How can i solve this?

Dirk

I have pretty similar setup, Onkyo+Samsung, but on Vero :smile:
This seems like the same kind of error that I posted with topic “OSMC broken after TV being off”. I can not put the link here, because of too many links for noob.

I tweeted about that, and Sam said he might know what is the problem and should have a fix for it shortly.
I also notices that when I just left all the machine on, without the signal, the signal appeared in 5 minutes or so.

Uuh, now I can link!

Here is the tweet also:
https://twitter.com/SamNazarko/status/581880707364061186

thanks, than i will wait - this was already on raspbmc so… so, maybe an old bug

I have the same issue :frowning:

I have that format the sd card and then install OSCM since the start. Any other solution while SamNazarko fix the issue?

@vviljanen , could you inform here if @sam_nazarko answer you?

Thanks & Regards

While everything is working go into MyOSMC>PiConfig and check "store hdmi to file"then reboot. This will store edid info to a file so the Pi will know what to output even when the AVR/monitor is turned off. If you move your Pi to a different setup you will have to undo this.

Cool, have to try that! I will also inform here if Sam answers something.

I just noticed you’re using a Vero, don’t think/know if this will work on a Vero, it works on a PI

@Dilligaf, which version use? My Pi after this frozen each 5 minutes more or less :frowning:

Any Pi should work with this, it’s writing edid data to a file and using that rather than probing the monitor for data, the freeze/hang may just be the system working. Check /boot for a file named edid.dat and config,txt for a line that reads hdmi_edid_file=1

Umm using OSMC RC on rpi 2 here with the same set up as the OP Samsung tv and Onkyo receiver - I have no problem after a night with tv and receiver switched off !

Yeah, I couldn’t find such settings in my Vero…

I experienced the same thing with my LG TV. Woke up and the TV wouldn’t work, and only did once I plugged it out and back in again.

I had seen something similar with the Pi1 and Raspbmc, however in that case it turned out to be CEC, which doesn’t seem to play well with my TV. When I installed OSMC the first thing I did was disable CEC.

Glad to see the solutions above. Thank you!

hmm, i already did that… i will double_check. where can i check, if it really saved to a file

See my last post above

both exist… hmm

grep hdmi /boot/config.txt
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -la /boot/
total 16084
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1536 Jan 1 1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Mar 13 09:29 …
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1447 Jan 31 12:42 LICENCE.broadcom
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1830917 Feb 1 19:51 System.map-3.18.5-2-osmc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4275 Feb 1 20:14 bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4275 Feb 1 20:14 bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17848 Jan 31 12:42 bootcode.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 62 Jan 1 1980 cmdline.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101516 Feb 1 18:05 config-3.18.5-2-osmc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Mar 28 08:55 config.txt
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 Jan 1 1980 dtb-3.18.5-2-osmc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256 Mar 28 08:55 edid.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9189 Jan 31 12:42 fixup_x.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2256 Jan 1 1980 install.log
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5443616 Feb 1 20:49 kernel.img
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Jan 1 1980 overlays
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 95 Mar 2 16:26 preseed.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3598504 Jan 31 12:42 start_x.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5443576 Feb 1 19:51 vmlinuz-3.18.5-2-osmc

didn’t work, see my next post

If the Pi is rebooting overnight you may need hdmi_force_hotplug=1 in config.txt as well

did you read my post?

grep hdmi /boot/config.txt
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Yup, I had the same problem with a Pi running Raspbmc at the end of December, and that solution worked for me.

Follow the exact steps in section 2.7 of the Kodi wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#TV_is_not_detected_unless_powered_on_first

-Dave