SD Card Corruption

So I’ve installed TVHeadend on a Pi Zeo W, this works beautifully.
However there seems to be a constant problem with the Raspberry Pi’s I’ve installed OSMC on to use as a front end.
I’ve gone 3 seperate Pi’s (1 Pi 2 and 2 Pi 3s) and 3 micro SD cards (SanDisk) all last about 2-3 weeks and then fail to turn on again. For a power supply I’m using an official Pi power supply that came with one of the Pi 3s. The red light is all consistent when it’s on and there’s no lightning bolts or rainbow boxes when it does actually work.

I can understand that this can just be bad luck also I’m not 100% that something from the user isn’t causing it, my parents are using it and I won’t be physically checking anything until next week… But they assure me they’re not turning it off or even touching it…

So I’m wondering aside from bad luck is there anything else that could be causing this? Can heat be a factor in corruption or something like that?

I have read your post a few times, more than a few actually.
Are you saying that an SD card is only lasting you 3 weeks or so?
You also mention a lot of Pis. Which one is the one causing the problem? Is it all? Is it the Zero W?
Can you try to be a bit more precise as to what your issue is?

What does “fail to turn on mean”? Does it not boot?
Have you tested the cards with H2testw?

You should send us a full log so we can have a look at it.
IMHO - I rather suspect that you got yourself a bitcoin miner that is loading and writing heavily to Sd-Card due to the limitated memory on these devices.

“Are you saying that an SD card is only lasting you 3 weeks or so?
You also mention a lot of Pis. Which one is the one causing the problem? Is it all? Is it the Zero W?”

No, so far I’ve used a Pi2 and two Pi3’s. The Zero W, just has linux installed and is working fine.
I originally used a Pi2 with an old SD card I had (which prior to this I had no issues with), it worked without issue for about a week and then it stops working (reinstalled using same card and pi, few weeks later same issue). I purchased a brand new Pi3 and SD Card, installed OSMC… a few weeks go buy same issue (reinsalled again to same issue few weeks later).
And then literally a week ago, bought another new SD card and used a Pi3 I’ve been using on and off with Raspbian (with no issues) and it’s done it again. I’m probably not going to get around to reinstallingit until next week now.

“What does “fail to turn on mean”? Does it not boot?
Have you tested the cards with H2testw?”
It turns on, get a solid power light but the yellow light just blinks 4 times repeatedly and there’s no output to the TV (using AV not HDMI).
I haven’t tried H2testw, will try with the current card next week.

“You should send us a full log so we can have a look at it.
IMHO - I rather suspect that you got yourself a bitcoin miner that is loading and writing heavily to Sd-Card due to the limitated memory on these devices.”

When I get access to the device I’ll see what I can do. As for a BitCoin miner, I don’t think that will be the issue. It’s literally OSMC with the TVHeadend client installed, no repos aside from the official repo added, no additional addons installed.

But, could that be the issue? They’re literally using it to watch Freeview TV through TVHeadend… I’m not sure when they’re watching, but it could be that its on and playing video all day long (they say they’re at least stopping video playback when they’re not watching it).

Ok, so the common denominators are “an official Pi power supply that came with one of the Pi 3s.” and Sandisk SD-cards? (I hope they don’t unplug the PSU to turn the Pi off?)
I’d try another PSU, and make sure unexpected power-loss isn’t an issue.
Regards
/L

Just a random thought: Is PVR configured? Could it be that “stopping video playback” means pausing the stream and tvheadend (or the client) is buffering in the background to SD, trying to let the playback resume at the paused position? I’d imagine that would cause a lot of writes and deletes on the SD.

I did no research on this topic at all, so don’t pinpoint me with follow-up questions, please :wink:

So having spent a day watching how they use it, looks like they’re version of “stopping it” literally just means turning the TV off and not actually stopping the video.
So I’m guessing this may be the cause.

As you can pause and jump back on video, I’m guessing this may be the cause, presumably this video is stored within OSMC device and not the TVHeadend server?
Is there a way to disable pause and skipping backwards?

“Normally” (as in installed with MyOSMC and/or the Howto on this forum) tvheadend resides on the same device as osmc?! Or do you have a seperate machine for that? But as I said, I did not do that much further reading on this, so to find out if, from whom and where the caching happens, you would have to dig into some help files or a search engine of your liking.

But: If your system is plugged into a CEC-enabled device (most recent TVs with HDMI), you could try to disable and enable video playback on CEC-events (i.e. powering the TV on/off) and see if that helps: [HowTo] for auto quit/start kodi based on TV status - #9 by dbarciela

EDIT: Another read on this: CEC adapter options

TVHeadend server is in their house in the UK, OSMC device is in a different country.
Yea, I thought that awhile ago but issue is they’re still using a non HD TV so are using the A/V socket on the Pi, I’ve tried to get them to get a new TV but they’re stubborn and as this ones works refuse to get one <_< parents…