September update breaks 5.1 Audio

Hello Alex,

For now, you can run these commands:

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmc/osmc/a02369fad9c3adfde5a4c5024eaf6dd7af56a3b0/package/vero3-userland-osmc/files/usr/share/alsa/cards/AML-M8AUDIO.conf -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/AML-M8AUDIO.conf
sudo reboot

Apologies for the inconvenience here. This will get you up and running promptly.

Thanks for your logs. I’ll follow up in further detail shortly.

Sam

@f0o I understand that you’re happy to troubleshoot things a bit, so I’ll get in touch with you directly shortly so we can work on a couple of improvements

Sam

@alex_so23fg8 You can now update via My OSMC -> Updater to resolve this problem.

Sam

Yep - looks good now. Thanks for the quick turnaround sam!

Alex

If anyone wants to test for this issue, I have uploaded 5.1 test files here in various formats that will announce the channel that it’s supposed to be coming from (“left front,” “right rear” etc): Multichannel audio incorrectly mapped

I’ve tried a few of these files with the following configuration:

Audio settings are: 7.1 channels, stereo upmix disabled, full pass-through enabled and DSP disabled.
AMP is set for Direct so its not doing any signal processing and I have a 3.1 speaker configuration.

With the September release AML-M8AUDIO.conf (793k) are providing FR/RS on FR, FL/LS on FL and C on C.

WIth the rolled back configuration file above (1534k) the surround51.flac is putting C on FL+FR, rather than C, but the DSP & AAC files are properly putting C on C.

One thing I’m curious about is why I’m getting surround channels on my front speakers. With audio set to 7.1 and my AMP on direct, I shouldn’t get any surround content, should I? I ran these tests on my libreElec Intel NUC and I’m also getting surround on the front channels there, so not sure if this is Kodi or my AMP down mixing them.

I’d check the amp there if you see similar results on another platform.

Sam

Ha! I tried something with my amp almost immediately after I posted that. Sure enough, with surround set to none, it was puttng those signals on the front speakers. Now that it thinks I have surround speakers, the DTS/AAC test files no longer do this. Its persisting with the surround51.flac file tho - so that’s curious.

I’ve been using this amp for 5 years w/o noticing its direct mode is not all that direct… and all this time I’ve been blaming muddled movie dialogue on progressive hearing damage I sustained at a punk rock show 15 years ago. lol