Serious ghosting/low quality issue

@sam_nazarko I’ve just tested the sample.mkv using a PC monitor instead of a TV, which is much easier to analyze up close and is a completely different display. With hardware acceleration on ghosting/motion blur/smearing is definitely apparent, it’s not as bad as on the TV but that’s because the picture quality is better, but it’s 100% there. With hardware acceleration disabled it’s 100% gone. If you cannot see it yourself on any of your displays with the same file and hardware acceleration enabled then either my device is faulty or you’re insensitive to motion blur.

Do you get this with Big Buck Bunny on that screen? It would be great if you could follow some of the suggestions above

It’s possible your hardware is faulty but extremely unlikely if everything else is working as expected. I’d advise waiting for the ucode updates to the hardware decoder, but if you’d like to return it and have us look at it I’m happy to arrange this

Sam

If it’s playing fine in software, it’s not going to be a fault with your device.

Sam

I’m unable to see it with the Big Buck Bunny video, however as I’ve seen it with two different movies and you say you cannot see it with my sample, clearly it can’t be an issue with that file. Otherwise you would have seen it and I wouldn’t have noticed it on other things.

How much will it hurt me to disable hardware acceleration until updates arrive?

It won’t.

Not necessarily – which is why I wanted the output of the logs and suggested comments above. For all we know my display does a better job at reducing motion blur; or your TV has a setting enabled that exacerbates it.

Hi,

I don’t think it’s a file issue since I have occasionally seen it and when I do it seems to occur whatever I play and is present in the next file if I’m watching stuff back to back.

I wondered if it was a heat issue due to watching for a long time, but then I’ve watched a couple of films back to back and that’s been fine. The other day I was watching a single tv episode and the ghosting presented itself and remained for the final 20 minutes. Only really visible in dark scenes so we ‘put up with it’. Later a reboot seemed to fix the issue so I wonder if it is something to do with background processes running. I don’t have a lot though. Media scan every couple of hours is about it on top of whatever is normal.

How about a memory leak? It definitely seems to ‘build up to it’.

How about the source of media being played maybe - mine is streamed from a NAS using an NFS mount. Could that be anything to do with it? Seems unlikely but I’m clutching :slight_smile:

Either way, never seen this with x265 decoding. Only with x264 on the Vero - Never seen it on the Pi.

Finally a question about disabling the hardware decode - Is it possible to disable hardware decoding for x264 only and leave the hardware decoding enabled for x265?

Thanks

-Mat

@Ghosthree3
Try to change Motionflow/Cinema Drive/Game-Text Mode/Video-Photo/x.v.Color/Photo Colour Space options on your TV to may get a better result

But that would imply that it would happen all the time wouldn’t it? Certainly for me that isn’t the case. I have all my inputs through a Denon amp and then directly to my LG tv via HDMI 2 so all settings are the same for all devices. Never seen it on set top box, bd player or live tv (has the same settings).

I have tried plugging the Vero into the tv directly and also seen the same issue.

Don’t you love intermittant problems like this :wink:

Thanks

-Mat

Yes and no, your TV algorithms may react differently to different video content.

Then what is it for…

In that case it shouldn’t have appeared on the monitor. What logs did you want?

It’s an accelerator; so most, but not all content will play without it enabled.

Please see above.

I’m pretty confident that a ucode update will fix this; provided it’s not a local issue with your environment / settings issue.

I can’t. I think I’ve done everything asked of me, I gave logs from reboot to playback, I gave output of the three devices, I gave a sample file, used your sample file, made a (crappy) recording of the issue. I tried searching the thread for ‘log’ and couldn’t find what you might mean. Could you repeat it please.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

I did everything on that page except the screenshots.

You need to post the resulting url from the grab-logs command here.

I was more interested in disp_cap/mode/edid output.

But we have enough to add some video improvements and only need more info if this doesn’t resolve anything

I posted both these things.

Not sure how I missed that; thanks.

Just want to let you know that I’m experiencing the same issue, especially noticable in dark areas or faces where parts seem to moce and some don’t/lag behind.
I’ve already tried to disable hardware acceleration as I suspected this to be the cause and noticed that it got better.

Yes I also have the same problem. If I disable hardware acceleration it is fixed but then unfortunately my TVHeadend client cannot play HD channels without stuttering so I’m really hoping this is fixed in an update soon.

I have used and Odroid C2 / Pi3 running libreelec and also and NVidia shield on same TV and HDMI cable with the same movies and they are fine so its definitely a Vero 4K issue.

It is most notable in darker close ups of faces. Apart from this I am loving the Vero 4K. Please fix soon!