Serious ghosting/low quality issue

Please send me a sample clip, and confirm if you can replicate this on another display such as a 1080p display.

Once I can replicate it, I can fix it.

Thanks

This is a still from a bd rip of child 44. Very dark film with muted colours but perfect to show off the issue. Look to the left of the image and you’ll see the lines which are the ghost images of Tom Hardy.

Hope this helps

-Mat

Hi Mat,

Thank you for uploading the visual demonstration. I have updated the H264 decoder for the next update which includes a variety of improvements.

I hope that this improves things here specifically and would appreciate some testing. To do so, you can run the following commands:

wget "https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq6efw1vpmjxokg/vero3-kernel-video-and-mux-improvements.deb?dl=1" -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
sudo reboot

Unfortunately it’s a Bank Holiday here in the UK and there a couple of holidays coming up in China (decoder ucode updates require a sign off from the SoC vendor), so I’m hoping that this firmware update does the job.

Sam

Yes it does. But it also introduces another problem that shows a flicker on large areas of the same colour such as walls. Hard to capture that but I have mentioned it before I think. Out of the house at the moment but I’ll check the fix tomorrow thanks
-Mat

Hi Sam,

I’m home now (and enjoying the bank holiday long weekend). I’ve tried your fix and it seems to work. My test was the same clip that I posted the still from above and there isn’t ghosting I can see.

Is it me, or does the image seem a bit darker? It could just be that I’m watching in a lighter room, unless you’ve tweaked contrast or something?

I’ll do more extensive testing later tonight, but thanks for the fix - so far so good.

I assume the fix I have installed will stay with me for now until an official update? A reboot won’t clear it will it?

Thanks again and enjoy the long weekend

-Mat

I don’t believe that the picture is any darker (at least not in my testing); but let me know if this seems to be the case with more clips.

Yes – the improvements will be persistent.

Sam

I applied the patch but it doesnt seem to have changed much for me. My test file a bd rip of the revenant. At the 5 minute mark the young guy walks in saying they brought down an animal his face is blocky and pixels seem to be moving on his face. Will upload a pic shortly. Its a dark film and also a Tom Hardy movie haha

After further testing did you find this wasn’t happening?

Hi Sam, I’m sad to report that when I watch the same film section in a darkened room the problem is still there. Please see the attached picture

Ah that sucks.

I’ll try and replicate it in a low light scenario. If you can PM me a Dropbox link to a small sample that replicates the problem that will be appreciated.

Bloody Tom Hardy…

Sam

No such problems if I switch to software decoding though…

Happy to try any more possible fixes you may have

-Mat

I’ll see if I can cut a section out…

Just use mkvtoolnix, set Output->Split mode: By parts based on timecodes, then put in something like 00:50:30-00:52:00.

Already done and sent to Sam thanks. I used avidemux.
Hopefully he can fix the issue.

I’m just watching twin peaks which had loads of dark scenes where I’d expect to see the same issue. but not once! The difference is it’s 4:3 ratio. Wonder if it’s something to do with memory allocated for the screen? Presumably 4:3 needs less than full 16:9?

Cheers

-Mat

Would you mind checking the sample I uploaded before (link). I’m curious as to whether the inconsistency will have you see the ghosting in it or not.

Checked it and seeing the same stuff yes.

That’s two samples Sam has now. Fingers crossed for a fix quickly.

Cheers

-Mat

@sam_nazarko Hi Sam,

I realise that the update yesterday didn’t have a fix for our problem, but can you give us any update please?

Are you at least able to reproduce from the clips supplied?

Currently I’m running x264 in software and just fyi, that also stops the issue with “video stopping about 4 seconds before the audio” that’s reported elsewhere.

Thanks

-Mat

Hi Matthew,

Sorry – I was focusing on this month’s update for the past couple of days. I haven’t had a chance to look at this yet to see if I can reproduce the problem with the latest update. I’ll let you know if I need further samples.

Thanks

Sam

No problem, thanks for letting us know.

-Mat

Just want to weigh in real quick, I have the same problem on many files. Mainly x264 but it appears (although less) on x265. It became better when disabling hardware decoding but not perfect as I know it can be.
For me I believe that it started when I changed TV last week to a 100hz 4K (previous was 50hz FullHD). Maybe the hz has something to do with it, maybe not. Hopefully you can find something in their mediafiles. I can upload mine tonight aswell if that is necessary!

Best of wishes
-Dre