Set as default settings for all media doesn't work

Just wanted to let you know that I still have this issue. Using the OSMC skin. I Still have to manually enable subtitles for every video I play on my vero 4k/ 4k +. When I press set default for all media it seems like nothing happens because subtitles still won’t be enabled for the next movie I want to watch. Media is played from usb.

I would assume that someone else has this issue as well ?

Edit: As I said when I first started this thread once I enable subtitles for a specific file the subs will stay enabled even if I re-watch the file multiple times. BUT every time I start a file I never watched before I have to manually enable subs.

If you get the same behaviour using a different skin (do you?), I would suspect a Kodi issue, rather than OSMC-specific. Have you searched the kodi forum?

Last year I tested with Estuary skin since @sam_nazarko asked the same question but the issue didn’t go away with a different skin.

This guys all have exactly the same problem: [ Kodi v17.4 -18] Enable subtitles set to default doesn't work

This guy finds a solution but as the people posting under him point out its not optimal at all: [ Kodi v17.4 -18] Enable subtitles set to default doesn't work

I suppose these settings are kept in the library (database), which means if you play from the file browser, rather than from the library, it won’t work.

From that thread, have you tried setting your preferred language in Player settings?

1 Like

Yes and setting the preferred subtitle language to User Interface language ( that is English in my case ) did help, but its still hit or miss since as some people in the kodi forum pointed out sometimes you discover a file where all subtitle streams aren’t properly labeled with the correct language in mkvmerge or makeMKV and if that’s the case this settings wont work and subtitles will be disabled.

More often then not the only subs in a file are English so I would prefer if the player would just keep subtitles enabled for all files and let me change them if it picks up Estonian instead of English by accident.