SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update

@jheldens, you can make Sam aware yourself by tagging him @sam_nazarko but I think the current situation with all the different SMB Servers out there is so complex that at this time it might not be possible to have a solution that fits all. But lets see what can be done.

We use upstream Samba in OSMC.

Samba developers are aware of some regressions post-Badlock.

I think the Debian Bug Tracker / Mailing List is a better place than the OSMC forum. I have explored options to resolve these issues, and I’ve done my best, but there really isn’t a one size fits all as @fzinken says.

I don’t have an OS X machine to test with.

Sam

I’m seeing similar issues on SMB server with Ubuntu. I can browse the share but nothing can be read from it. I’ll try the mount option, I use PlexKodiConnect so I’ll use the path replacement there

Totally different issue then what any of the people in this thread had, at least if you with “browse the share” mean that you can see the folders and files.
Provide debug logs to see what error you have.

I have some logs posted a few days back. However, I can confirm that mounting the smb shares thru fstab does fix the issue, so I’d wager this says a problem with the smb client.

I’ve also used fstab to mount and it worked very well until Apple releases el capitain 10.11.5.

Now I’ve tried everything mentioned in this post and elsewhere…no success.

The only way I’ve found to reenable smb sharing on osmc is using the free program SmbUp on my iMac.

Ok the Instructions I cobbled together over a month ago no longer appear to be invalid as of the OSMC 2016.5-1 update. I can no longer access my SMB shared folders on my Windows 7.

Nothing has changed on the windows side or my router. The only thing that changed was the update.

So what on earth is going on? Is there another solution for this? All the conversation appears to be around OSX recently. It does not appear to be relevant to Windows 7. Any Suggestions?

Hi Phoenix!
Have you tried what “quoted” in my post (editing the fstab and adding a persistent automount?) ?

I did not, but I tried after you pointed it out. Changed the ip to my computer and entered in the password:

//192.168.1.65/ /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=osmc,password=osmc 0 0

It does not work and I still cannot access my smb drives. I double checked and I cannot see any folders listed under /mnt/ either.

Any other suggestions?

First of all, assure to create the Video folder in the /mnt with this command on the pi:

sudo mkdir /mnt/Video

Then
sudo chmod 777 /mnt/Video

Then edit the fstab with the command

sudo nano /etc/fstab

insert your personal data

//192.168.1.65/YOURSHAREDFOLDER /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=osmc,password=osmc 0 0

ctrl + x to save the fstab modified

sudo reboot

I assume that you have a windows user called “osmc” with password “osmc” that can access the shared smb folder…is this correct?

[quote=“lamerz, post:190, topic:3294, full:true”]
First of all, assure to create the Video folder in the /mnt with this command on the pi:

sudo mkdir /mnt/Video

Then
sudo chmod 777 /mnt/Video

Then edit the fstab with the command

sudo nano /etc/fstab

insert your personal data

//192.168.1.65/YOURSHAREDFOLDER /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=osmc,password=osmc 0 0

ctrl + x to save the fstab modified

sudo reboot[/quote]I am sorry to report that I did all that even declared a specific folder instead of the general ip address and it still does not work :frowning:

I do not see any files inside of /mnt/Video

Do you have any other suggestions? I’m actually surprised there aren’t more people reporting this problem like there was a month ago.

[quote=“lamerz, post:190, topic:3294, full:true”]
I assume that you have a windows user called “osmc” with password “osmc” that can access the shared smb folder…is this correct?
[/quote]You are correct.

What do you mean?

In the fstab you must declare the server (Windows machine) ip, obviously the machine must have a fixed ip.

Also in the fstab you must declare the right name as shown by Windows (name of shared folder).

[quote=“lamerz, post:192, topic:3294, full:true”]
What do you mean?

In the fstab you must declare the server (Windows machine) ip, obviously the machine must have a fixed ip.

Also in the fstab you must declare the right name as shown by Windows (name of shared folder).
[/quote]As in

//192.168.1.65/0\40Downloaded/ /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=osmc,password=osmc 0 0

I see a syntax error after the IP address.

Assuming that the folder name is " Downloaded" with a space before the name you should write : //192.168.1.65/\040Downloaded …etc

But why you named the folder in such mode?

[quote=“lamerz, post:194, topic:3294, full:true”]
I see a syntax error after the IP address.

Assuming that the folder name is " Downloaded" with a space before the name you should write : //192.168.1.65/\040Downloaded …etc

But why you named the folder in such mode?
[/quote]Nope it’s “0 Downloaded” I wish for that to be the first folder seen, hence the 0.

Ok sorry.

So the correct syntax is
//192.168.1.65/0\040Downloaded /mnt/Video etc…

Don’t put / at the end of the folder name (0 Downloaded)

This is what I think…

To ensure any error I recommend to rename the folder in “0Downloaded” without spaces…

So the string will be:

//192.168.1.65/0Downloaded /mnt/Video etc…

[quote=“lamerz, post:196, topic:3294, full:true”]
Ok sorry.

So the correct syntax is
//192.168.1.65/0\040Downloaded /mnt/Video etc…

Don’t put / at the end of the folder name (0 Downloaded)

This is what I think…

To ensure any error I recommend to rename the folder in “0Downloaded” without spaces…

So the string will be:

//192.168.1.65/0Downloaded /mnt/Video etc…
[/quote]Sorry that’s a big negative. I tried to add a new shared folder and browsed to /mnt/Video and it would not let me open the folder to save its location. So I created a link directly to /mnt/ and I stil cannot open the Video folder. It looks like this does not work :-/

The folder /mnt/Video does exist on your pi?

If you write in ssh cd /mnt/Video you can reach the folder?

If you can you have created it successfully…if not you don’t.

[quote=“lamerz, post:198, topic:3294, full:true”]
The folder /mnt/Video does exist on your pi?

If you write in ssh cd /mnt/Video you can reach the folder?

If you can you have created it successfully…if not you don’t.
[/quote]Odd error

osmc@osmc:~$ ssh cd /mnt/Video
ssh: Could not resolve hostname cd: Name or service not known
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/Video
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/Video’: File exists

Not sure what to make of this. To me it looks like the creation of the folder worked but the linked folder does not work.

Try to write cd /mnt/Video

Not ssh cd /mnt/Video sorry my fault

Then ls -a