SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update

Sorry james…I’m a noob…I’ve tried what u described above but … no result…

Via ssh I reached the /etc folder
and then edited the fstab via sudo nano
I’ve added those lines

//192.168.1.2/Archivio /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username={myosxlogin},password={myosxpassword} 0 0

Assuming that is correct (Is it correct?) Archivio is my shared folder on iMac.

Now I go to search through Root Filesystem…and??? what???
I’m in trouble…in wich subdir I’ll find something to add?

Thanks a lot!

Hi lamerz

Sorry, you need to ensure you have created a directory called Video in /mnt

i.e. sudo mkdir /mnt/Video

After reboot, you should be able to cd /mnt/Video and see your folders and files from your Samba share.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve

Ok now i’ve created the dir…

but this is the result…

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mount -a
mount: /etc/fstab: parse error: ignore entry at line 5.
mount: mount point 0 does not exist

the line 5 is this one:

//192.168.1.2/Archivio /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=xxxx xxxx xxxx,password=mypassword 0 0

yes my username in OS X are 3 words…is this a problem in the stab?

EDIT: correct the username adding &40 but still have this error:

Obviously the ip address is correct…and Archivio is the entire hd I want to share…

EDIT 2: tried to add a single folder “Multimedia” in OS X and modify the fstab:

//192.168.1.2/Multimedia /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=Axxxxx&40xxxxx&40xxxxx,password=xxxxxx 0 0

always the same error

The folder Video created via mkdir does needs special privileges?

Yeah, pretty sure that’s going to cause a problem as the cifs options are the fourth parameter and the delimiter is spaces.

Unfortunately, my unix knowledge is pretty basic. You may be able to escape the spaces in the username with a \

i.e xxxx\ xxxx\ xxxx

or maybe

“xxxx xxxx xxxx” or ‘xxxx xxxx xxxx’

but that’s just guesswork on my part.

You can also store the username and password in a separate file for security purposes and then reference the file with a credentials specifier. Just search for fstab and credentials. That’d deal with the problem with the fstab line being ignored. However, whether all three parts of the username would be read from the credentials file is something I’m not sure of.

p.s. it’s late here in the UK so I’ve got to get some sleep now!

Thank you, james_ss. I was also able to get going this way. Although I’d still prefer to have things working via Kodi, this is certainly a good solution until a fix is implemented upstream.

WOW lesson learned, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
I will be more cautious of blindly performing updates in the future. Cant believe there is no simple rollback.
What a pain.
Funny how the initial approach is to fix it on the SMB (PC/mac etc) server when the problem/change is obviously in OSMC.
So in my case I have a win-XP server with single no password logon serving the PI and 3 other PCs in the house where they would all need updating if I start adding passwords etc not what I want to do.
Adding the PW allows the authentication so I could go that route for the time being but its a pain.
Dont really want to re-install but that may be the way out.

Thank.s for what is generally a good project.

… Simon

Windows XP is end of life and network compatibility cannot always be guaranteed with old OS’ that are no longer supported by their original manufacturer

Glad you’re back up and running!

Even though this solution is obviously not as convenient as using the built in Kodi smb client, I believe that if you have performance issues or problems with network latency then kernel mode is the preferred solution for smb.

And obviously, copying files from / to the smb share at the unix level is a doddle!

Re-installed, from scratch, OSMC 2016-4-1 on Pi3. All shares are back, no changes to Win10.
All good. Standing by.

No how do I do that with the VERO?

that’s what I did with my Apple Time Capsule (samba share).
Works fine.

Hi James!
I’ve already done it with success!

The errors in “mount point 0” are my fault…i’ve messed up the fstab with iPhone edit…so the 0 0 at the and of line 1 and 2 were in wrong positions (line 2 and 4)…

Those lines are correct:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0

After iPhone edit with Reflection they were:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,native
0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime
0 0

And I get rid of the username issue via the special charset \040 to chain my composite username.

so now my 3rd line in fstab is:

//192.168.1.2/Archivio /mnt/Video cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=My\040Long\040Username,password=mypassword 0 0

Now my baby is watching a film so I can’t try any other setting…but I can reach my “Archivio” hdd partition on my iMac!

Thank You very much for the support!

1 Like

Ok now I’ve a million dollar question…:slight_smile:

Now with the fstab modified with automount smb share the Library upgrade (covers, actors etc) still works?
Are the folder extrafanart and extrathumbs inside every single folder still “writable” and “readable” by OSMC ?

Thanks all for a reply!

Any chance I could get you to expand on what you did to get your Time capsule share working. I’ve tried adding my mount point to fstab and creating my Media folder in mnt, but still not connecting to my Airport.

If that was directed at me ActionA, thanks, but I had already tried adding that to my smb.conf… Still no go. Just grabbing straws wherever I can to try to get it going again, lolz.

I have one last question after reinstalling OSMC. How will I know when it is okay to allow the updates to install?

Sure.

Make a mount point in /mnt

cd /mnt
mkdir ap

Then add this line to /etc/fstab

//192.168.1.101/Data /mnt/ap cifs user=tcusername,pass=tcpswd,rw,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

mount -a
df
(you should see the new filesystem /mnt/ap)
Then in OSMC, add source … and look in the root filesystem. You should
see /mnt/ap

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Niall.

1 Like

This helps a lot! Thank you, I finally have mounted my share and movies are scanning in quickly without any timeouts. Thanks for your help Niall.

Hi all,

I tried to downgrade the samba packages that where updated when OSMC was still able to access my smb shares.

sudo apt-get install samba-common:armhf=4.1.17+dfsg-2+deb8u1 samba-libs:armhf=4.1.17+dfsg-2+deb8u1

While running that line I got the error:

E: Version '4.1.17+dfsg-2+deb8u1' for 'samba-common' was not found
E: Version '4.1.17+dfsg-2+deb8u1' for 'samba-libs' was not found

Does anyone know how to downgrade those packages? I don’t like to mount the smb shares.

Hello Niall,

I’m trying to use your advice to mount my SAMBA share. But I get this error:

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘ap’: Permission denied

I’m logged in with default username and password to my Raspberry Pi 2 with static IP over Wi-Fi on local network.

Any advice?