SMB Shares - Cannot Browse After Update

Well SMB is also a windows protocol :slight_smile: But similar like SMB also the surrounding commands have been replicated in linux. So actually there is a net command on linux but that is more for local samba shares.

So please use smbclient -L osxserver

Is it normal that this command is not installed by default on the pi.
I just did a complete reinstall (new image) becuase on my install the command was missing.
But the command is not installed by default . I’ll guss i have to install the commands through apt-get.

But is this normal ?
I used the default osmc installler on mac.

Used the following command to install smb support (found in some other post)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smb-app-osmc will install and configure Samba for you.

Yeah sorry, forgot that it only is installed when the Samba server is installed.

Ok did all that stil no smbclient.

Installed the package smb-app-osmc.
Tried installing package samba --> message alrady installed (guess it comes with the previous).
Went to the osmc app store. It shows the samba server is installed. So all seems to be OK.

Do I need to be in a specific directory for the command to work ?

I am lost?

try sudo apt-get install smbclient

Hoera I got something hope it helps you:

osmc@osmc:/etc/samba$ smbclient -L osxserver
Enter osmc’s password:
ntlmssp_handle_neg_flags: Got challenge flags[0x22810205] - possible downgrade detected! missing_flags[0x00080010] - NT code 0x80090302
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_EXTENDED_SESSIONSECURITY
SPNEGO(ntlmssp) login failed: NT code 0x80090302
session setup failed: NT code 0x80090302
osmc@osmc:/etc/samba$

Try adding

client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

to /etc/samba/smb.conf

Then run again. It is definitely the issue about the not supported security level of your OSX server.
Actually wonder if you can upgrade the OSX server.

Added the 2 lines to the global section. rebooted the machine to ensure the new settings take effect. Re-issued the command.

smbclient -L osxserver
Enter osmc’s password:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
osmc@osmc:~$

FYI : extraction of the modified /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]

If you require a fully custom smb.conf create smb-local.conf instead of editing sm$

configuration will not be overwritten by samba upgrades. You can use smb.conf as a$

copying it to smb-local.conf then removing the config file line below in the new f$

need to add some additional shares see smb-shares.conf below for a simpler way to $

config file = /etc/samba/smb-local.conf

workgroup = WORKGROUP
security=user
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
unix extensions = no
lock directory = /var/cache/samba
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
log level = 1
map to guest = bad user
usershare template share = automount template

read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes
strict locking = no
min receivefile size = 16384
use sendfile = true
aio read size = 2048
aio write size = 2048
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

[osmc]
browsable = yes
read only = no
valid users = osmc
path = /home/osmc
comment = OSMC Home Directory

[automount template]
browseable = yes

I was able to execute the net view command on the windows laptop. It only show the laptop itself

see dump:

C:\Users\MAENA>net view
Servernaam Opmerking

\LPTCO04
De opdracht is voltooid.

C:\Users\MAENA>

But you are still able to access the samba share on the OSX Server from the Windows Laptop?
Unfortunately I am not an OSX expert.

Correct. before issuing the command i started kodi and started a movie. It all worked fine.
Closed kodi and than run the command.

I think I am not the only mac users with the problem see also recent post:

What I am going to do now is use the kodi installer and reinstall an older build (before april) to see if that helps. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for including me (awesome forum feature btw). I’m curious whether our issues are related.

Ok some more information:

redid test with release

Both not possible to access smb share on mac (shared through the mac server app). This was however possible at the time.

My question when i install these images do I only get the OSMC version from that period and do I also get the supporting files from that period (samba etc…) or do I automatically get the most recent ones ?

Now trying an openelec build…

Tried stable build openelec 6.0.3 and beta 6.95.3 both unable to connect to smb shares defined on a mac through mac server app.

I guess something is off between osmc (samba linux implementation) and the latest samba implementation on the mac (using osx 10.11.5 and server 5.1.5).

I am hoping some guru can figure this one out. I am lost

If you install the old image, you will get all old files till you update.
So this looks like a server issue

Seems server related.

OpenELEC uses Samba 3.x, which doesn’t have the Badlock CVE patches which have caused the SMB regressions reported. So OE should work.

Sam

I think you are right upgraded osx also during the period to 10.11.4 and just recently to 10.11.5 and it seems that osx has some issues with its samba implementation (apple has its own implementation of the protocol)

see links:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/44739

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7565683?start=15&tstart=0

But this exceeds my knowledge level. I keep fiddling around ; and hope that some mac / osmc user with more knowledge can figure this one out.

If i find something I’ll post it here.

Anyway thanks for your support so far

Try going to Add Network Location in the videos Add File Location area, and type your network path.

Like: //COMPUTERNAME

1 Like

Done that gives an error saying it cannot connect to the network share.
“Do you still want to add it etc…”
Added it but it is not usable.

Now trying to add the share via the command line but also that is not working the error is persmission denied.

sudo mount -v -t cifs //osxserver/MediaFiles /mnt/MediaFiles -o username=xxxxxx,password=xxxx
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.0.x,unc=\osxserver\MediaFiles,user=xxxx,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
osmc@osmc:/etc/samba$