[SOLVED] Crash / Segfaults after 18.4. update

Since accepting the 18.4 update I’ve been stuck in a sad face loop. The first things I tried was relocating userdate and .kodi but now I don’t think kodi ever made it that far into launching.

In journalctl I can see only almost instant segfaults but I don’t think any other log files have a chance to be created although I’ll provide anything requested which exists.

Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc mediacenter[325]: Starting Kodi...
Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc sudo[2296]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=osmc ; ENV=LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs
Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc sudo[2296]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user osmc by (uid=0)
Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc sudo[2296]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc mediacenter[325]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 142:  2296 Segmentation fault      sudo -u osmc LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd $KODI --standalone -fs
Oct 31 22:39:43 osmc mediacenter[325]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds
Oct 31 22:39:54 osmc mediacenter[325]: Starting Kodi...
Oct 31 22:39:54 osmc sudo[2318]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=osmc ; ENV=LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs
Oct 31 22:39:54 osmc sudo[2318]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user osmc by (uid=0)
Oct 31 22:39:55 osmc sudo[2318]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Oct 31 22:39:55 osmc mediacenter[325]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 142:  2318 Segmentation fault      sudo -u osmc LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lircd $KODI --standalone -fs
Oct 31 22:39:55 osmc mediacenter[325]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 1 seconds

[UPDATE] Fixed in latest version 18.4.0-6 installed with
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Thanks for the rapid response last night. Shortly after posting my issue a storm came through and knocked out power until after I left for work this morning. In 5+ years of using OSMC I don’t think I’ve ever even needed to use your wiki or support pages before. Timing my only ever issue to coincide with power and internet outage is convenient and having it all fixed so quickly is outstanding. Many, many thanks

We are looking into it.

1 Like

Absolut same failure here by me after update

Same here:
Nov 01 07:05:45 osmc-Eltern-Wohnzimmer mediacenter[11756]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 142: 11771 Segmentation fault sudo -u osmc LIRC_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/lirc/lir
Nov 01 07:05:45 osmc-Eltern-Wohnzimmer mediacenter[11756]: Kodi exited with return code 139 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 2 seconds

I’m guessing: this is why the apt repositories are disabled right now?

Yes till the problem is identified @sam_nazarko quickly disabled the servers

good idea.

Hi,

Today after update auto, OMSC reboot loop ?

What to do ?

https://paste.osmc.tv/lijijawuwa

I moved your post to this thread just watch for updates here

OK, for info, I can access OSMC via SFTP

Getting the same issue here, sad face boot loop, I just updated through the OSMC interface (an hour ago), on rpi3.
Luckily it seems indeed to only be OSMC as I can still SSH into the pi.

Hopefully you guys find a solution soon :slight_smile:

If you can SSH into your pi,try
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade<-> sudo apt-get update
and after install update’s sudo reboot

2 Likes

That seems to have solved the boot loop, thanks!

This also fixed my sadface issue on RPi3 after this update.

Hmm…and if I turned off the SSH? :slight_smile:

Connect keyboard and press ESC to get to terminal.

work for me too !

Same problem for me , after update : Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Nov 1 15:03:22 2019 from 192.168.1.10
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease [94.3 kB]
Ign:2 Index of /debian stretch InRelease
Hit:4 Index of /debian stretch-updates InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /debian stretch Release
Hit:3 Index of /osmc/osmc/apt stretch InRelease
Fetched 94.3 kB in 2s (37.1 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo reboot

I leave in France, have I to wait for have the good update ?

You updated the apt cache but you didn’t tell it to upgrade anything.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

It do nothing

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.